Gibson Brands Forums

Brutus has gone :(

Rabs

You gave Brutus a great life, he gave you years of companionship and love, cat's and dogs and other pets give us so much, we just want them to stay here, but they give so much they wear out.

They make our life richer, we spoil them.

To honor Brutus, go out and adopt another kitten or a puppy that is sitting in a lonely cage at the Humane Society, you will not forget Brutus, but you can give another animal a chance at a good life, and that is as good as we can do.

I feel you.

I think when it comes to cats, we get more from them than they do from us. Like they were put here for our benifit.

I don't think animals mind dying. I think they know why they are here.

Sinse 2 weeks ago, I am cat free for the first time in about 15 years. Always getting stuck with other's cats, haven't once voluntarily got one. But, I guess if I'm honest, I needed each one.

The only one I feel sad about, is the one that ran away from my GF's when I left her there when I moved out. She tried to follow me when I went back to get some stuff, and I told her she had to stay for a while and couldn't come. That will always haunt me, that look, which was the last I saw of her. While it kinda sucks when they die, it is a lot better knowing they were taken care of and are no longer in need.

I think kitty's like my retirement plan and the benifit packages I have. But don't let tell them...I'm kinda enjoying not having one at the moment.

I feel your loss. My good buddy of 19 years passed 2 years ago. I was his first and last human contact and he was my rock through the very worst part of my life and I'm not sure I would have made it without him. When I got together with my wife, he took to her as well and I'm sure he knew that my life had gotten better before he passed. We now have two cats - it takes two to match him - but I still miss him some. I know he's still keeping tabs on me to make sure I'm doing well.

I feel you.

I think when it comes to cats, we get more from them than they do from us. Like they were put here for our benifit.

I don't think animals mind dying. I think they know why they are here.

Sinse 2 weeks ago, I am cat free for the first time in about 15 years. Always getting stuck with other's cats, haven't once voluntarily got one. But, I guess if I'm honest, I needed each one.

The only one I feel sad about, is the one that ran away from my GF's when I left her there when I moved out. She tried to follow me when I went back to get some stuff, and I told her she had to stay for a while and couldn't come. That will always haunt me, that look, which was the last I saw of her. While it kinda sucks when they die, it is a lot better knowing they were taken care of and are no longer in need.

I think kitty's like my retirement plan and the benifit packages I have. But don't let tell them...I'm kinda enjoying not having one at the moment.

Yeah... But also I feel like I was put here to have given him a good life... I did everything I ever could to make his life happy and fun and I just hope that it was good enough..

And thanks for the messages guys.. (jaxson, stein, grampa, kidblast and badbluesplayer).. Each message helps and is really appreciated.

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry to hear this, Rabs. Glad you were able to be selfless in the end and prevent him from suffering. He looks like a great cat with loads of character.

Sorry to hear this, Rabs. Glad you were able to be selfless in the end and prevent him from suffering. He looks like a great cat with loads of character.

Thanks Farns... Yeah he was a real character... So much more than just a cat (as im sure any pet owner feels about their animal).

And yeah it was so hard.. but I knew deep down regardless of how I felt that he wasnt going to get better so had to do it for him, not for me. It was quite shocking how quick the whole thing happened. But im glad that I was there for him right to the end and he didnt really suffer. The last couple of days werent great but I dont think he was in pain as much as he was just weak from refusing to eat as he wasnt crying or anything, just sleeping all the time.

And glad to see you got your name back :)

Cheers.

Rabs, I've tried for the better of the day to send you my sympathies, but it's kinda hard, when memories of a couple of my special buds keep floating around my mind. My heart hurts for you sir. I've had to bury 4 pieces of my heart in the past six years and all have hurt the same. But, I had to chuckle when you talked about the play fighting, every morning when I'm trying to get dressed for work, my bud "JETHRO" has to have at least 10 minutes of attack the hand & arm, and then when I'm bleeding in 2 or 3 places, and he thinks he's won, he shows me his butt and walks away. I was going to say it's amazing how they work themselves into our lives, but I think the good Lord knows when we need the companionship and puts them in our hearts. I agree with Jaxson50. go to the shelter and adopt one in Brutus' honor & memory. I've gotten 2 that way and they seem to be really grateful for the save. It's like buying a guitar, you'll know which one is for you. It is my befief that you will be with him again some day, but until then, know that you carry him in your heart every day, he knows and is waiting for you. God Bless, TC

Rabs, I've tried for the better of the day to send you my sympathies, but it's kinda hard, when memories of a couple of my special buds keep floating around my mind. My heart hurts for you sir. I've had to bury 4 pieces of my heart in the past six years and all have hurt the same. But, I had to chuckle when you talked about the play fighting, every morning when I'm trying to get dressed for work, my bud "JETHRO" has to have at least 10 minutes of attack the hand & arm, and then when I'm bleeding in 2 or 3 places, and he thinks he's won, he shows me his butt and walks away. I was going to say it's amazing how they work themselves into our lives, but I think the good Lord knows when we need the companionship and puts them in our hearts. I agree with Jaxson50. go to the shelter and adopt one in Brutus' honor & memory. I've gotten 2 that way and they seem to be really grateful for the save. It's like buying a guitar, you'll know which one is for you. It is my befief that you will be with him again some day, but until then, know that you carry him in your heart every day, he knows and is waiting for you. God Bless, TC

Thanks TC..

Your post really made me smile.. It was the same with Brutus, unless there was blood he wasnt happy. And I was only too happy to provide.. It was worth any pain to see him so happy.. I even tried wearing gloves but he wasnt interested in that, bare skin or dont bother. :)

I also used to get the morning attacks.. Most of the time I wear slippers indoors but in the morning when im walking around barefoot it would be at least a 50/50 chance that Brutus would decide to rugby tackle my leg and scratch my feet up.. Lol he used to chase me around the flat if I tried to get out of it :) I will miss all that.

And yeah.. at some point I will think about it all again but not right now.

And thanks for your message Martin.. they all help. :)

My sympathies, Rabs.

We have two- brothers and they're 15 now. I guess we've got this to come over the next few years.

Yeah.. and thanks

I guess like people the idea is to treasure every moment you have with them.. I think as humans we owe them that. We domesticated them so I think its our responcibility to look after them as best we can.. Its worth all the pain for the years of pleasure you have together.

Sorry to hear about that :( can't help but love our furry friends right?

Thanks for that.

And yes.. My family used to have a dog when I was younger so ive always loved animals.

They give us so much and are so honest and true.. I really dont understand people who do say they dont like animals (but each too their own I guess)

I dont ususaly do this sort of thing, but in this case I felt like I needed to do something..

I wrote this with Brutus in mind.. As normal for me its a bit corney (cos I cant seem to write non corney things)... But it helps I think to do this sort of thing in these times. A creative outlet is good for that.. I hope its not too long and cheesy..

Brutus…

I open my eyes , my first light of day

Im young and free and its my time to play

This world is my own sun rain or snow

I know what im doing , I know where to go

You see inside me is beast

You see inside me is friend

Once you see in my heart

Im yours till the end

I will play till I sleep and eat till I play

I may need some help sometime along the way

Along my road people come and go

But theres only one who can truly know

My life is simple but I know what I want

Just a bloody hand and a place I can haunt

Still many years to go to play sleep and fight

Still many years to go for my last hug at night

But the reason im here is secret its true

My purpose is clear but not so to you

Don’t take me for granted as my time will come

The time you don’t need me, my job here is done

But don’t be too sad or cry out in pain

Its this way or nothing its always the same

We are here for a short time that much is true

If im not here for me then it must be for you

Come share my adventure its one not to miss

Filled full of pleasure and many a twist

Its worth it believe me for this much I know

I know what im doing , I know where to go

Inside me I feel that our light is forever

My head filled with dreams to cherish and treasure

I’ll be with you forever for this much I know

I know what im doing , I know where to go.

R.I.P.

I'm awful sorry Rabs. Some friends of mine from the UK are stopping by today and they just got word that their Mastiff back home died while they were here. They are devastated that they were not able to say goodby. It will be a somber day I think.

I'm awful sorry Rabs. Some friends of mine from the UK are stopping by today and they just got word that their Mastiff back home died while they were here. They are devastated that they were not able to say goodby. It will be a somber day I think.

Thanks man.. and yes that must be terrible that you dont even get to say goodbye.. at least I was there with Brutus right to the end..

Sorry man. Brutus was a gorgeous cat, too. I love his coloring!

I hope you find peace. It's always tough losing a loved one :(.

Thanks Chan... And yes, he had remarkable markings and colours on him.. Many people did say that..

And yes I am feeling a bit better now im over the initial shock.. I know that there was nothing else to be done and that he didnt suffer because of my decision. I tend to just smile alot now when I look at pictures of him as when this sort of thing happens you have only two choices.. You can either mourn life or celebrate it and I always (try to) choose to celebrate it :) he did have a great life and was very happy. Also since ive been unemployed, ive got to spend every single day with him for the last 8 months or so which I am greatful for.

Sorry to hear your dear friend passing. I'm sure he had given you much happiness as you had given him. I know how it feels to lose a loving pet. My condolences mate.

Thanks man.. everyones thoughts are really appreciated.. It helps to share with other people that understand :)

Archived