Gibson Brands Forums

60s tribute SG with bare nuckles!?

Holmis

Hi, just scored a SG 60s tribute with bare nuckles and Vibramate B-5 Bigsby, the original parts included.

Would be interesting to hear some opinions regarding the SG 60s tribute, what do you experienced guys say?

For example how is the neck, very thin or..?

One bonus is that the original p90s is included and i can finish my es120t project, in some way i will fit a p90 to that guitar with a new scratchplate and all, excellent :-)

I played one and was very disappointed at how much I did not like the guitar considering the SG is my favorite electric. The neck was too thin with a flatter fret board; almost Ibanez-esc. This is personal preference so don't be sad (not that anyone gives to sh!ts what I say). The one I played was kind of rough around the edges too with the frets poking out. Maybe it was a lemon?

What do you mean with Ibanez esc?

I have a few Ibanezs, artcores and vintage artists and i love the necks on those, if the neck on the SG is anywhere near those it´ll fit my hands like a glove!

Poking out frets sound bad but it can be fixed if that is the case.

What do you mean with Ibanez esc?

I have a few Ibanezs, artcores and vintage artists and i love the necks on those, if the neck on the SG is anywhere near those it´ll fit my hands like a glove!

I have big palms and short fingers. Broad and flat fretboards are another stumbling block for my already ham-handed playing. It's the reason I'll never own an Ibanez. My favorite necks/boards are Gibson baseball bats and Fender Mustangs.

I played one and was very disappointed at how much I did not like the guitar considering the SG is my favorite electric. The neck was too thin with a flatter fret board; almost Ibanez-esc. This is personal preference so don't be sad (not that anyone gives to sh!ts what I say). The one I played was kind of rough around the edges too with the frets poking out. Maybe it was a lemon?

+1....I felt the same way, love SG's but that one felt weird.

Feels like i´m goin to regret this accuisition, no one that has a positive experince of these SGs?

Well i´ll get a mic to finish my es120 project anyway :-)

Like I said, outside of the bad fret finishing everything I didn't like was personal preference. My guess is that you'll love the skinny 60s neck. My main axe is an SG Classic and P-90s on an SG is tonal nirvana so I know your guitar will sound killer (I am assuming the bare knuckles are P-90s) .

I love mine! It quickly became my #1. I like a beefy neck and it's definitely on the thin side, but SO playable. Maybe I really prefer thinner? I set it up, replaced the caps and made some cosmetic changes and it's perfect. Really easy to play and the P-90s sound great. I've never personally played Bare Knuckles, but from what I've read they should be a nice upgrade and who doesn't love a Bigsby? Rock that puppy!

I changed the PG, reflector knobs and an "SG" truss rod cover.

IMG_3930.jpg

That pushed me a thad to a positive view of the accusition, Thanks!

They sure looks purty, your´s are really beautiful!

Is that completely unstained mahogany?

Makes me wonder why they stain so many mahogany Gits at all, when it´s so nice naturally.

I´ll receive the SG this week i believe, the seller sent it to me yesterday, it´s always exciting to wait when you purchase something untested [blink]

That pushed me a thad to a positive view of the accusition, Thanks!

They sure looks purty, your´s are really beautiful!

Is that completely unstained mahogany?

Makes me wonder why they stain so many mahogany Gits at all, when it´s so nice naturally.

I´ll receive the SG this week i believe, the seller sent it to me yesterday, it´s always exciting to wait when you purchase something untested [blink]

It's called worn natural. It's a thin satin finish.

Post some pics when yours comes! [thumbup]

The postman left the SG at my door this evening.

Strunged it up, tuned it and stretched the strings for a while, seems that it have some tuning instability problem, maybe it stabilize over night.

The seller have put Gotoh locking tuners on, maybe it´s unstable in someway, i have to bond with it and sort out what it might be!

The added vibramate Bigsby is in the way for the controls, i think i might put the original bridge and tailpiece on instead.

The bare knuckles sounds very nice the little i´ve played it. Beautiful build i have to say, no flaws at all :-)

Well, i have used up 474K of the 500K allowed upload quota, so no pic i´m afraid :-(

Trouble?

I decided to strip all hardware from the SG and start from there and mount the original tuners, bridge and tailpiece instead of the added Bigsby whammy and Gotoh locking tuners.

Didn´t like either of them, much better with the honest simple originals i believe.

Whats up with those locking tuners anyway? Just complicate the stringing procedure and if you string a Guitar proper the strings are locked!

Sometimes innovation leads backwards [confused]

I hope this operation will solve the tuning instability, cause i can´t see nothing else wrong with the Guitar.

Trouble?

I decided to strip all hardware from the SG and start from there and mount the original tuners, bridge and tailpiece instead of the added Bigsby whammy and Gotoh locking tuners.

Didn´t like either of them, much better with the honest simple originals i believe.

Whats up with those locking tuners anyway? Just complicate the stringing procedure and if you string a Guitar proper the strings are locked!

Sometimes innovation leads backwards [confused]

I hope this operation will solve the tuning instability, cause i can´t see nothing else wrong with the Guitar.

It might be the nut. Had some binding issue in the nut on all my Gibsons. But a bit graph tech and time fix that.

You mean you lubed the nut or changed the nut to a Graph tech nut?

The next plan if this operation wont work was to just lube the nut with pencil graphite, if that wont help i got a Tusq nut in the deal i can install but i´ve never done that before soo.... that´ll be the last resort [biggrin]

You mean you lubed the nut or changed the nut to a Graph tech nut?

The next plan if this operation wont work was to just lube the nut with pencil graphite, if that wont help i got a Tusq nut in the deal i can install but i´ve never done that before soo.... that´ll be the last resort [biggrin]

I mean lubing the nut. Every time i shift string on trouble guitar i slide the strings back and forth in the nut slots. But don't be to hard and try not to press it down, take the sides. I lube the slotes on the brigde to.

So, now it´s back to original except the bare knuckles, and the tuning is stable as a concrete wall :-)

Don´t know why the former owner had to mess with the tuning gear and put the bigsby on but that doesn´t matter anymore, great guitar, light as a feather and very smooth to play!

Now i have to play it and decide if the bare knuckles gonna stay or if the original p90s would suit better.

One p90 is intended for the es120 and i don´t know which one, maybe the best way is to put the original SG neck p90 in the es120 and see how it perform there?

I´ll mess as little as possible with both guitars, but it´s very pleasant problems i have to say :-)

And i have to acquire a nice piece of wood that i can carve a "new" scratch plate that fits the es120 strange construction, it must be able to house the pots and the jack, probably gonna engage me all the dark winter.

• 3 weeks later...

I played my 60s tribute SG for the first time in a band situation last night.

And Wow, what a useful instrument, the bareknuckle p90s are the most touch sensitive pups i´ve encountered so far :-)

Gonna be my no1 for the near future for sure, really comfortable, light, beautiful, fantastic sound and what not to like!

And no tuning stability probs since i brought it back to original, wonder why the former owner put all the fancy stuff on when the function is perfect from original?

Maybe i´ll put the original p90s on too if i can get my thumb out of my a.. :-)

Archived