Gibson Brands Forums

my new bone pins

blindboygrunt

Look for a lamination line, or a nib - thats plastic. Drop it on a hard surface - click is not bone, clack probably is, clunk may be ebony. Never had ivory, but it probably has a rather magestic clang?

So. there's been lots of discussion about pins, and the move to bone. What species of bone do you suppose is used? And wouldn't there be a high degree of variable density not only between species, but within individual sets? I've made the move to bone and ebony on three guitars, my Jackson Browne is still factory stock plastic, I think. I can't tell any difference, but some of them sure look classy.

So. there's been lots of discussion about pins, and the move to bone. What species of bone do you suppose is used? And wouldn't there be a high degree of variable density not only between species, but within individual sets? I've made the move to bone and ebony on three guitars, my Jackson Browne is still factory stock plastic, I think. I can't tell any difference, but some of them sure look classy.

As I understand it, bone pins are made from cow bone or ox bone, which is apparently a by-product of the meat industry. It is also used a lot for general carving purposes.

Bone is much more dense than the plastic used for pins, as I verified by weighing when replacing some plastic pins recently.

Archived