Gibson Brands Forums

Any other musicians in your family?

daveinspain

I am the only one in my family with music in their blood... My brother and I grew up listing to Cream, Janis Joplin and Big Brother, Zeppelin, Doors, Who...etc But I'm the only one who "had it in me". I remember my mother could play piano a bit but I think I only heard her play a couple times. I owe my interest in music, in making music, to my childhood friends more than anyone else...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my great grandfather, great uncle and great aunt around 1929.

1929.jpg

Here's my grandmother and grandfather in their church about 1955 or 60.

SEARCY.jpg

My dad plays. My aunt plays. My cousin. My brother tried but it didn't take for him.

Music has always been a big deal in my family.

Great Grandpa was a musician as well as dispatch rider with the 112th Illinois circa 1862-65. My Grandpa played trombone in the town band before there were high school bands. My grandma on Mom's side wasn't much into performance, but told me once her mother/grandmother played guitar well.

Mom and Dad did some quite nice duets for a lotta events in the '50s. Dad played a little uke and in the 40s some guitar.

Little sis sings, I think, still in public quite a bit. Their kids aren't so much into music but I think some of her grandkids are. She does have my Mom's piano, though, and I think can play it a little.

Little brother (who turns 62 soon) not into music much. Neither are his kids.

"Baby brother" who's not quite 40 plays guitar fairly well, keyboard perhaps better and does apparently quite a bit of composition. He says I'm the far better guitar player, I've a hunch he's overall the better musician.

PS - I'm envious of the old photos!

m

in my immediate family,

my son plays drums - started at the age of 6, he's 33 (and he's very good)

I met my wife when she was 15, I was 16..

(I had been playing for a number of years already.)

she had/has four brothers, and they all liked to come to the jams/rehearsals and gigs we did.

they all wound up picking up an instrument

3 went for Bass, one to guitar

George went for guitar, (he'll be 51 next month) he still plays, and plays well..

Jim died at 34, (cancer) we were band mates for 15 years. he was the best. (Miss him daily)

Dan is still playin (he's 45) an he's bad-*** bass player. Great chops.

John stopped after a few years - just wasn't for him - still dabbles with guitar but not serious about it

We have some righteous jams when my son, my bros and I get together, and we've done a few shows and gigs and they've been a blast.

Something special about doing this with people you truly love and admire

My mother was self taught on piano & organ, in high school {years ago} my brother played sax and I played flute...before any of you laugh, the flute section was 6 girls and me. Across the aisle were the clarinets, 8 girls. This was in the 70's, no pants or slacks only MINI skirts [thumbup][thumbup] not so dumb huh? Now a days, I play guitar & bass, my brother plays drums and mandolin, one of his sons plays piano & trumpet, his other son plays piano and flute {takes after his uncle [thumbup] } Brother, nephews and I all play together in our praise band at church, gotta agree with Kidblast, nothing like playing music with family.

TC

My Dad (long gone now) played saxophone and clarinet in his youth and also banjo and ukeleles which I still have. My Mum never played an instrument but just loved music even more than him and had perfect pitch, which I only found out a few years before she died.

Puerto Rican dad plays 'his music' on classical righty as a lefty (upside down strings)...sings too...hobbyist, church, etc. One brother plays guitar (hobbyist). Other brother sings and plays guitar (very talented hobbyist). My oldest daughter is budding piano teacher (great voice). My youngest son is a child phenom on guitar (need to get him to sing). Nephew (son of talented brother) is a pro drummer in NYC trying to make it big.

My uncle was quite a gifted guitarist as I've been told, if you guys know brewer and Shipley...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejvcd-JeVCQ

He had those fellows over to jam a time or two. Sadly he took his own life before I came about.

Besides him, my grandfather played a little guitar and piano (I have his ol' guitar)... after that, not a musician in sight.

My band is Me on Guitar, my wife on Vocals, My Brother on Bass, and a revolving door for the drummers. My dad played in Surf bands in the 60's and we had a trio (Dad, Brother, and I) in the 90's with no drummer that was really cool. My Uncle plays Harmonica and Flute (he jammed with John Mayall at a private party back in the 70's).

My family is extremely musical on both the paternal and maternal sides. My mother was a church organist and all her siblings either played at least one instrument or sang in a choir.My father was a choir director,his oldest brother was an organist and choir director and actually recorded an album of hymns in the 60s.His younger brother had no musical training but could hear a song on the radio once and be able to play it in the right key after just hearing it once.

My sister plays some guitar but mostly piano and I play several instruments as does my oldest nephew who also teaches guitar and has a lucrative recording career as well as being short listed for several notable musical awards.Most of my first cousins on both sides play at least one instrument,one is an incredible drummer and both his sons are great guitarists and his nephew was a prodigy on the violin,routinely beating out 15 and 16 year olds in violin competitions when he was 5 or 6.This young guy also plays a dynamite guitar and drums too as well as several other instruments and his last band-The Randalls-were very popular and won several band battles including best band in Ontario competition,they also cut an album-with all songs he wrote-that sold really well.As I mentioned in a previous post my cousin's 11 year old grandson left a hall full of seasoned musicians slack-jawed playing a cheap POS acoustic lefty guitar.I was so impressed with his playing that I bought him a lefty Tele and a Vox VT-20 amp so that he could have quality gear to play on and therefore be able to play better plus there is an element of inspiration that goes along with starting off with good gear as he has only been playing for less than 2 years.

Anyway I could go on for ages naming more musician relatives but I'll just say for now that there are dozens more I haven't mentioned.

Where our family is so large it seems that the most important thing in our family besides music was procreating...lol.

My Father was a big band drummer in the 1940's, I hear he was very good. Considered going pro, but tells me some of the guys getting into drugs scared him away from the life.

Mom played piano and sang, and her Mother played an organ (and I'm sure piano before that).

My Sisters both took piano lessons as kids (as did I) but it didn't stick.

One Sister also took two tries at learning guitar, but gave up fairly early both times.

One of my Nephews has a Stratocaster copy, though I'm not sure how often or how well he plays.

One Niece sings quite well, but not well enough for the professional career she'd wanted (but she's now doing quite well as a CPA).

None that I know of in previous generations, and no siblings or cousins either.

But my wife is an incredibly talented singer and artist in almost every possible art form.

And our 3 year old is coming along nicely on the electric kit we got him, and his little brother at 13 months is pretty obsessed with my strat these days [biggrin]

Nice stories here!

My mother, she is 73, alway's sang opera. My father (76) sang the blues untill was operated from throath cancer, he has no voice anymore now. But I remember his voice, like sand and glue, very good blues voice!

He played with Ferre Grignard and sing in the streets, before Ferre got famous in Belgium and start using Heroin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyU69gIG4sg

Archived