Gibson Brands Forums

The Importance of Using Strap Locks

bluesguitar65

I hate the metal locks. Used to use them on my Fenders in the 1990s until one day when I was sure one was locked, it let loose in the middle of a song/jam session. I took them off the next day.

I've had straps let go and though I usually catch the guitar, I haven't always, and I understand the reason to use them (even more so with necks prone to breaking at the headstock, which Gibsons are much more prone to than Fenders). I prefer the rubber grommet/washer placed over the stock button, and so far have never had one let go. Have them for all my Gibsons, and the Airline. I have some for the Fenders but need more.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't toured or played out much have you.

Yep, I have seen a few stage disasters in my day as well.

There is nothing worse than having to borrow a guitar mid set cause you trashed yours, because you were too cheap, or worried about aesthetics.

There IS the exception of vintage/historic/custom, I can see wanting to not molest or modify in these cases.

But a Players piece? spend a few bucks, and not have to think about it. A no brainer really.

I have been watching a lot of the summer festivals on the Palladia channel the past few weeks, and I am even seeing Slash and others use the Strap Locks like I have.

At least they look like them.

I figure having these on all of my guitars is like auto insurance.

You may not need it all the time, but that one time something that may make a non Strap Locked guitar fall off its strap, its good to know yours is protected.

If one of my guitars fell to the ground I would slap myself :D

My old vintage guitars were the first ones of mine to get strap locks. When I got my 83 Fender Fullerton P-bass it had Dunlap strap locks already installed. Same goes for my 97 Les Paul Studio. Then one day I was trying to record with my 5 string Squire J-Bass and didn't notice that I had twisted the strap. Off it popped and even my cat like reflexes couldn't keep that heavy monster from bouncing on the newly installed hard wood floor. Then I started thinking about this happening to my Gibson Country Gentleman. That sucker weighs a ton. So I started putting strap locks on all my instruments, cheap and expensive, modern and vintage. No worries.

Frankly I think Gibsons higher end models should come with them. I believe the AFD Les Paul and a few others did.

The only reason why a strap-slip happens is because of the shape of the button+the angle of the guitar+the weight+many other factors. The way this could be prevented, is to either not raise your guitar up, or not have it sit at weird angles, or generally not be rough with it. The other way is to take change the shape of a traditional strap lock. I'll draw a picture.

q9ToM.png

Pardon my paint skills.

But if the barbs on a harpoon work well enough to stay in the flesh of an animal, this should stay in the flesh of a guitar strap. It would be roughly the same size, but the different shape would prevent it from being able to slide to the edge of the button. And plus, you don't have to fiddle with a shitty lock.

I have never had starp-locks on any guitars, and I have played out quite a bit.

I have a few habits: for one, being in construction (most of it drywall), I am used to having a tool in my hand and a cord to deal with. So being able to whip the cord out of the way or put it where I want I do almost sub-conciously. In fact, I don't wrap it around the bottom of the strap like most- it feels akward. Another thing, I always have a hand on the guitar, as if to hold it. Taking both hands off and letting it hang on the strap alone feels really unnatural.

Having said that, I have dropped a guitar at times. And I have almost always played Strats when playing standing. Strats don't break, you get a dent or scratch unless it is on a rug or carpet.

I have played a couple Gibsons a bit, and to be honest I have difficulty because I haven't mastered to tone of them or the controls, but they sure sound GOOD.

I don't play out anymore, but if I do again and I was to be using the Gibsons, I would definitely be looking at straplocks or something.

Reflexes don't PREVENT a single thing. I dropped an SG at a shop once while testing for 'neck dive'. The only thing reflexes did was cause me to fumble and toss the guitar even more. I could have taken out more than just the guitar I dropped.

I have never had starp-locks on any guitars, and I have played out quite a bit.

I have a few habits: for one, being in construction (most of it drywall), I am used to having a tool in my hand and a cord to deal with. So being able to whip the cord out of the way or put it where I want I do almost sub-conciously. In fact, I don't wrap it around the bottom of the strap like most- it feels akward. Another thing, I always have a hand on the guitar, as if to hold it. Taking both hands off and letting it hang on the strap alone feels really unnatural.

Having said that, I have dropped a guitar at times. And I have almost always played Strats when playing standing. Strats don't break, you get a dent or scratch unless it is on a rug or carpet.

I have played a couple Gibsons a bit, and to be honest I have difficulty because I haven't mastered to tone of them or the controls, but they sure sound GOOD.

I don't play out anymore, but if I do again and I was to be using the Gibsons, I would definitely be looking at straplocks or something.

Reflexes don't PREVENT a single thing. I dropped an SG at a shop once while testing for 'neck dive'. The only thing reflexes did was cause me to fumble and toss the guitar even more. I could have taken out more than just the guitar I dropped.

q9ToM.png

Pardon my paint skills.

But if the barbs on a harpoon work well enough to stay in the flesh of an animal, this should stay in the flesh of a guitar strap. It would be roughly the same size, but the different shape would prevent it from being able to slide to the edge of the button. And plus, you don't have to fiddle with a shitty lock.

I like your idea a lot.

The traditional strap button makes it harder to put the strap on, than for it to come OFF. It's easier for the strap to come off than for it to go on. Isn't that backwards??

Your new strap button would make it easier to put the strap on, and harder for it to come off. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

I think your idea is brilliant! [thumbup]

I like your idea a lot.

The traditional strap button makes it harder to put the strap on, than for it to come OFF. It's easier for the strap to come off than for it to go on. Isn't that backwards??

Your new strap button would make it easier to put the strap on, and harder for it to come off. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

I think your idea is brilliant! [thumbup]

Pretty much. Basically, it's the same size, only backwards. And mounted the same way. Thanks, though. If I had a proper work shop...

...The only reason why a strap-slip happens is because of the shape of the button+the angle of the guitar+the weight+many other factors....

Well, that narrows it down............

The rough 'On-The-Street' price of an R0 in the UK is around £4,000 / $6,400.

The rough value of a pair of Schaller straplocks is, therefore, around £4,000 / $6,400.............

P.

Archived