Gibson Brands Forums

The Importance of Using Strap Locks

bluesguitar65

Nothing wrong with straplocks - what's not to like? Having said that I don't use 'em myself as a few years ago I found and bought some well-made webbing straps where the plastic end clips on hard to the strap button - these straps also have a loop for putting your lead through.

And now that I've told about 'em, can I find a link? No!

I think there is a Planet Waves locking strap that does work though, and they also do elliptical endpins.

Strings Direct (UK mail order) have 32 pages of straps and pins. http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories/straps

I was watching Ry Cooder and his band at the Hammersmith Odeon, must have been '79 or '80....and he dropped his guitar! This was the customised Strat-type which later got stolen at the ARMS concert. And what he said, was - "did anybody get a picture of that?" Picked it up, checked tuning, on with the show. It happens to the best!

Possibility; it can and so very likely will happen. Fate (and fortune) favours the prepared. Be ready.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went years without locks without issue.

Then one evening a couple yaears ago,I had 2 guitars slip off the strap. Different straps. My Robot LP and my Historic R0. Caught them both before they crashed to the floor. Now the only electric without is my Suhr Strat. The strap is so tight on that one, it is actually difficult to get it on and almost as hard to get it off.

I would be so ticked off at myself if any of my guitars got busted up through my negligence. Especially if it is preventable.

I swear by Schallers.

I find the metal ones a complete annoyance and they never fail to rust or be a pain in the neck for me. But like condoms, they are a necessary nuisance if you're going to play. That's why I use the Dunlop things below. No pesky mechanics to lock up or strap to install them on. They are cheap and they work.

SL1S_sm_.jpg

I find the metal ones a complete annoyance and they never fail to rust or be a pain in the neck for me. But like condoms, they are a necessary nuisance if you're going to play. That's why I use the Dunlop things below. No pesky mechanics to lock up or strap to install them on. They are cheap and they work.

SL1S_sm_.jpg

I tried those out (briefly) before switching to Schallers as, originally, I wanted to keep the original strap-buttons. The problem I had - with three sets(!) - was that they all soon became so loose that the outer disc could (and would) spin leaving the guitar vulnerable.

I don't want to put anyone off buying them but that was my experience. Perhaps I was just unlucky?....:-k

P.

I don't want to put anyone off buying them but that was my experience. Perhaps I was just unlucky?....:-k

P.

How's your karma, brother? j/k. I've been using them for ten years and have never had a failure even with my wannabe Iggy Pop/Pete Townshend/animal-on-speed stage show. Maybe you got a bad batch?

I tried those out (briefly) before switching to Schallers as, originally, I wanted to keep the original strap-buttons. The problem I had - with three sets(!) - was that they all soon became so loose that the outer disc could (and would) spin leaving the guitar vulnerable.

P.

Not sure what guitar you used them on but...

A Les Paul will put too much strain on these, the neck side strap button may break them, an SG, V or Explorer on the other hand, having the strap button on the back of the neck will work just fine. The guitar is secured without putting these locks under too much pressure.

Has anyone ever tried the straps with locks? Id rather have someting like this where the strap itself has the lock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001PGXKI2/ref=asc_df_B001PGXKI29609492?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001PGXKI2

ByeggIQEWkKGrHqVhEEw5h7JzBMR378C0w_12.jpg

I have that strap...I don't like it at all. Schallers are much easier to use and feel more secure to me. I have Schallers on all of my electrics.

I use them... I have never had a problem but beware, the old Planet waves design with the built in locks was crap... I have had those break while putting on the guitar... I was lucky and caught the guitar.

Yeah they are cheap ones.. if I were to buy id look for better build quality than those above, I just used them as an example. If you can find good straps with locks, then you dont need to mod your guitar.

How's your karma, brother? j/k.............Maybe you got a bad batch?

LOL! Nah. My Karma's in pretty good shape (even though I say so myself...) and;

Not sure what guitar you used them on but........a Les Paul will put too much strain on these, the neck side strap button may break them....

I think you may be on the right track. They were all used on circa 9 lbs Lesters. It was never butt-end lock which failed and I suspected the design was not up to the task.

I don't remember them being branded 'Dunlop' so it's possible I got cheap imitations but they were from my regular shop and they don't usually stock inferior products.

Anyhow; I'm much more 'at ease' with the Schallers in any event.

P.

My Charvel came with Dunlop straplocks factory fitted- the ones with the discs which clamp around either side of the strap. One time the whole disc assembly came right through the hole and slit in the strip (brand new leather/suede strap too.) When it came through there was no regular strap button to act as back up so I now treat the Charvel like a guitar without straplocks.

So, caveat emptor........Do NOT buy these:

Dunlop%20STRAP%20LOCK%20BLACK.jpg

I do use those plastic ones you can buy from the counter of many guitar stores for most of my other guits. Some do spin loosely and can come apart and drop off as stated above. All you need to do is dig around the little bucket on the counter to find the ones that fit together tightly. Again, I don't totally trust them- they're just an extra security measure so I keep my mits very firmly on my guitars when I play standing.

My Charvel came with Dunlop straplocks factory fitted- the ones with the discs which clamp around either side of the strap. One time the whole disc assembly came right through the hole and slit in the strip (brand new leather/suede strap too.) When it came through there was no regular strap button to act as back up so I now treat the Charvel like a guitar without straplocks.

So, caveat emptor........Do NOT buy these:

Dunlop%20STRAP%20LOCK%20BLACK.jpg

I do use those plastic ones you can buy from the counter of many guitar stores for most of my other guits. Some do spin loosely and can come apart and drop off as stated above. All you need to do is dig around the little bucket on the counter to find the ones that fit together tightly. Again, I don't totally trust them- they're just an extra security measure so I keep my mits very firmly on my guitars when I play standing.

I have these on ever guitar and strap I have. Never failed once. But then my straps don't have slots, just proper sized holes.

Archived