Gibson Brands Forums

The Importance of Using Strap Locks

bluesguitar65

So, caveat emptor........Do NOT buy these:

Dunlop%20STRAP%20LOCK%20BLACK.jpg

I've been using these since they came out I guess. I've never had a problem with Dunlops, I've never dropped a guitar using them. I'm not exactly a shoe gazer, so they get a pretty good workout on my guitars. All of them are Dunlopped, it's what I do before I even put Grovers on them.

rct

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have these on ever guitar and strap I have. Never failed once. But then my straps don't have slots, just proper sized holes.

Most of my guitars do have Schalers but sometimes the locking mechanism is hard to unlock...

So, I bought a set of Dunlops when I got my last SG, but the screw was going to be way to long (and thick) to put in the SG with out A: having to rebore the hole, - on a brand new SG Standard? thanks but no thanks.. and B: the screw for the pin behind the neck looked to be just to long to use on a guitar as thin as an SG.

I returned them and used Schalers

Searcy did you put these on your SG too?

I have schallers on all my guitars.Also, I use lock tite on the threads of the nuts because I've had them come unscrewed at a gig and almost dropped my guitar. If you're a bedroom player you may not need straplocks, if you gig, you're taking a big chance by not using them :)

So, caveat emptor........Do NOT buy these:

Dunlop%20STRAP%20LOCK%20BLACK.jpg

I have a set of these on one of my old guitars that never gets played and I hate them. The mechanism that attaches to the strap is prone to sticking and rusting. I've had times where it took me ten minutes to get that pin to "snap" into the lock. Annoying.

Most of my guitars do have Schalers but sometimes the locking mechanism is hard to unlock...

So, I bought a set of Dunlops when I got my last SG, but the screw was going to be way to long (and thick) to put in the SG with out A: having to rebore the hole, - on a brand new SG Standard? thanks but no thanks.. and B: the screw for the pin behind the neck looked to be just to long to use on a guitar as thin as an SG.

I returned them and used Schalers

Searcy did you put these on your SG too?

Yep, my SG, all 3 of my Les Pauls, my 1964 Melody Maker, my 1989 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman and all my basses have these. I've never had an issue. If rust is finding your strap locks put a little WD40 or BigBends Nut Sauce on them every once in a while and you'll be ok. I like the Shallers too but once I decided to start using strap locks on everything I decided to go with Dunlop because I had already bought two used guitars that had already had them installed.

LOL....if you watch the video closely, notice the strap button on his guitar........its a "Schaller" strap lock button. [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

$(KGrHqZ,!ioE-qoIQmBfBP5Ov30VFg~~60_35.JPG

lg_Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks_Detail.jpg

Yep becuz Fender (at least they had for some time) provided those as the stock strap pins on all their guitars. both my fenders came stock with these

Yep becuz Fender (at least they had for some time) provided those as the stock strap pins on all their guitars. both my fenders came stock with these

My old 1991 Tele came with those. I think Gibson should do this on the mid and high end guitars.

Yep, my SG, all 3 of my Les Pauls, my 1964 Melody Maker, my 1989 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman and all my basses have these. I've never had an issue. If rust is finding your strap locks put a little WD40 or BigBends Nut Sauce on them every once in a while and you'll be ok. I like the Shallers too but once I decided to start using strap locks on everything I decided to go with Dunlop because I had already bought two used guitars that had already had them installed.

Well actually, rust isn't a problem - my guitars are generally cased in a closet when not in use. The only set of Dunlops are on my ES-135, (since like 2001) and they've been fine.

I was more concerned with using the over sized screw that Dunlop packages with their strap locks. the screw that would go at the top of the body, behind the neck, just looked dangerously too long for my liking and as mentioned, I would have had to rebore the hole to accomodate the larger (and thicker) screw.

with the Schalers - those screws are about the exact same size as the stock ones (Cept for the bottom pin which was a wider form the factory) I put a few shavings from a toothpick with a drop of lock tight on the screw to secure it.

Ps, I use the stock Gibson and PRS screw which work fine.

That approach will not work for the Dunlops tho, as Dunlop screws have a different counter sink taper to match the pin, so a different screw (like what Gibby provides) sits too high in the hole provided and the strap pin itself is a bit longer, so you do need to use a similar sized (length at least) screw to install them.

There are three reasons why I choose Schaller over Dunlop.

1) The strap pin does not accomodate a regular strap. It's too easy for a strap to fall off. With the Schaller you can use a strap without the lock installed.

2) I can use the same screw that was installed on the guitar. The Dunlops are too long.

3) Unlikely but you can conceiveably lean against something and push the button and it becomes unlocked. You have to pull the locking pin on the Schaller. Less likely to have an accident.

1) The strap pin does not accomodate a regular strap. It's too easy for a strap to fall off. With the Schaller you can use a strap without the lock installed.

2) I can use the same screw that was installed on the guitar. The Dunlops are too long.

3) Unlikely but you can conceiveably lean against something and push the button and it becomes unlocked. You have to pull the locking pin on the Schaller. Less likely to have an accident.

I agree....but there are some who do not bother reading the instructions and install the strap locks "upside down" (horse shoe upside down) and blame Schaller for faulty design. [flapper] [flapper]

I've seen many players that have installed their schallers incorrectly... [crying] :unsure:

While I use both Schaller and Dunlop locks, the Schallers just seem more secure, but there are times when Shaller buttons are harder to remove from the locks. Sometimes you have to get just the right torque/angle on the pull-pin and remove it exactly towards the opening to remove from the button. It is also possible to think you've secured the button into the Shaller lock, when in fact, the button is still sitting outside the lock.

Let me try to add an attachment here since my PC is in the shop, and I cannot FTP my pics to my server.

Schallers on all the but the mini axe on the far left.

No need, I never run a strap on it since it is an easy chair guitar.

The new PRS is in the middle.

I think it weighs more than the SG, it is a heavy one.

post-43148-015746400 1347480556_thumb.jpg

I have these on ever guitar and strap I have. Never failed once. But then my straps don't have slots, just proper sized holes.

I don't think I've seen straps for sale without that slit next to the hole (as shown in the picture I've also quoted below.) Perhaps I should look out for a strap like that.

I've been using these since they came out I guess. I've never had a problem with Dunlops, I've never dropped a guitar using them. I'm not exactly a shoe gazer, so they get a pretty good workout on my guitars. All of them are Dunlopped, it's what I do before I even put Grovers on them.

rct

It shocked me when it happened to be honest.

Yes, it's a pain in the arse not being able to easily remove/change your strap with the dunlops.

Security_Lock_englisch_742.jpg

Yes, it's a pain in the arse not being able to easily remove/change your strap with the dunlops.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. If you have the Dunlop strap pins installed and for some reason you do not have your strap with the locking mechanism on it you may be forced to use a regular strap. In that case the Dunlop pins are too slick with a slim taper to use a regular strap. It's kind of not secure. The Shallers do have a ridge in them so that a normal strap without the locking part is OK and more secure than the Dunlops.

I did not say anything about the ease or difficulty of removing/changing your strap.

I think if you had to use a strap without a lock on your strap lock equipt guitar the huge heads on the Dunlop would be more secure than the small heads on the Schaller.

IMG_20120805_191431.jpg

As for the locks pulling out of the strap holes, again I think that the larger cup and clip system that Dulop uses would be difficult to pull out of a good leather strap. I've never done it. Plus the Dunlop dosn't have a nut that can back off and dump your guitar in the floor.

I think if you had to use a strap without a lock on your strap lock equipt guitar the huge heads on the Dunlop would be more secure than the small heads on the Schaller.

IMG_20120805_191431.jpg

As for the locks pulling out of the strap holes, again I think that the larger cup and clip system that Dulop uses would be difficult to pull out of a good leather strap. I've never done it. Plus the Dunlop dosn't have a nut that can back off and dump your guitar in the floor.

The last time I used Dunlop Strap locks was a long, long time ago. The original strap pins looked like this:

p26687.jpg

Apparantly they changed the pins because of the reason I stated. The new pins are much different and could easilly hold a regular strap.

Thanks for the update.

Archived