Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Electrics

Psychbunny

I have been thinking about an acoustic Electric bass for something I could mess around with in the living room. I played a Dean "Exotic Wood" today and it was O.K. unplugged but it sounded like crap amped. For something that I just want to noodle around on I don't want to pay $400.00 for something that I could never use amped if I wanted to. Any recommendations?

I've just been contemplating buying an ABG for playing small acoustic gigs with the trio I play with (mostly original tunes; check out below).

Here in the UK, we definintely don't have as much choice as in the USA, but all the models I've tried just don't "cut the mustard", none are loud enough to hold their own among two acoustic guitars and vocals, and there are many comments on bass forums that support this.

As I'd have to carry a small combo anyway, I'm going to save my money and carry on with my beloved SG bass!!

Has anyone played a Takamine or a Stu Ham Washburn? My wife would kill me if I spent more than five hundred (I just spent nine hundred on a Flyin V about a month ago). What about a hollow body like an Artcore would it be loud enough unplugged to play it just as practice bass?

I've just been contemplating buying an ABG for playing small acoustic gigs with the trio I play with (mostly original tunes; check out below).

http://www.reverbnat...hebeechwoodtrio

Here in the UK, we definintely don't have as much choice as in the USA, but all the models I've tried just don't "cut the mustard", none are loud enough to hold their own among two acoustic guitars and vocals, and there are many comments on bass forums that support this.

As I'd have to carry a small combo anyway, I'm going to save my money and carry on with my beloved SG bass!!

+1 I've tried a few, and came up with the same conclusion; if you can barely hear it without an amp - why bother? [confused]

Archived