Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Hendrix biopic seems to be going ahead

Rabs

So this has been going on for ages now... It seems like the movie is going ahead BUT the Hendrix estate wont allow them to use any of his original music (that sucks!!).. So all of the music will be covers.

In saying that, I remember hearing that Val Kilmer did alot of the Doors covers himself as did Jamie Fox for the Ray movie.. So as long as they are allowed to play covers at least maybe it wont be so bad? ( I then wonder who will be doing the covers and playing Jimi's guitar parts :-k )

Heres Andre 3000 dressed up as Jimi

Thanks for the post Rabs [thumbup]

He does look somewhat like Hendrix, but to me I think Prince would of been a great choice to play the part as he is a guitar player himself and a damn good one.

Yeah hes great.. but I think its proven he cant act for toffee :) You cant really tell from the trailer but he was truely aweful in that lol

Yeah hes great.. but I think its proven he cant act for toffee :) You cant really tell from the trailer but he was truely aweful in that lol

LMFAO.....omg ya....... [scared] ......... [-( .....I especially enjoy the scene where he goes into break up the fight.....reminds me of ...hmmmmm iddunno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtBki0PsC0

I usually don't care for movies about musicians I love unless it's a documentary. I might give this a look.

The thing is, I just can't take the over-dramatic storylines.

I'd prefer a Hendrix documentary over this. I really liked the George Harrison doc that came out last year. And of course, I'd rather watch "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage" than a second-rate movie with actors portraying Alex, Geddy, and Neil...

I'm glad they won't be using real Hendrix for the soundtrack. Doing that takes the reality right out of the movie and turns it into a Music Video. Walk The Line was fantastic because the actors all did their own singing, same with Ray and The Doors.

One of the things that ruined the TV movie "Hendrix" was the stars obvious lack of guitar talent and finger synching, and his voice sounded nothing like Hendrix when he was talking. Then using real Hendrix tracks just reminded you that the guy playing Hendrix was an actor. Had they used a guy that could sing somewhat like Hendrix it would have kept the audience in the moment and in the story line.

Lastly. Hendrix didn't have a very interesting life before he got famous. He was a slacker in the army and landed some pretty nice gigs once he got out. Born and raised in Seattle, not exactly the nations hot bed for racial tension. Had very little adversity to overcome before he became Hendrix. Let's just say if they ever have a double feature with this Hendrix film and "Ray", they better show the Hendrix film first. I love Jimi, but his story just isn't two hours long.

I'm glad they won't be using real Hendrix for the soundtrack. Doing that takes the reality right out of the movie and turns it into a Music Video. Walk The Line was fantastic because the actors all did their own singing, same with Ray and The Doors.

One of the things that ruined the TV movie "Hendrix" was the stars obvious lack of guitar talent and finger synching, and his voice sounded nothing like Hendrix when he was talking. Then using real Hendrix tracks just reminded you that the guy playing Hendrix was an actor. Had they used a guy that could sing somewhat like Hendrix it would have kept the audience in the moment and in the story line.

Lastly. Hendrix didn't have a very interesting life before he got famous. He was a slacker in the army and landed some pretty nice gigs once he got out. Born and raised in Seattle, not exactly the nations hot bed for racial tension. Had very little adversity to overcome before he became Hendrix. Let's just say if they ever have a double feature with this Hendrix film and "Ray", they better show the Hendrix film first. I love Jimi, but his story just isn't two hours long.

I couldn't agree more.

Ernie Isley would be a shoo-in if he were a few years younger as there is already a Hendrix connection with his family where 3 his older brothers had Jimi as their lead guitarist for a couple of years in the '64-'65 timeframe.Ernie also took some instruction from Jimi and claims that he decided to learn how to play lefty after having an extremely vivid dream where Jimi spoke to him one night and told him to learn how to play lefty.Frank Marino and Randy Hanson are among the few guitarists who can nail Jimi's playing the best,but it would take a lot of make-up and probably cranial-facial surgery to look the part.

There was a bio-pic made about Jimi several years before Janie hendrix got her greedy hooks into taking control of Jimi's considerable fortune(while his real blood siblings Leon,Joseph,Pamela,Kathy Ira and Alfred were institutionalized or left to live in poverty)but I digress.Anyway this so-called bio-pic was a monumental flop and ended up consigned to the 1 and 2 dollar bargain bins of DVDs you find in Dollar Stores.

I guess Janie wouldn't allow his actual songs to be used because her cut probably wouldn't be as large if it was,as she is completely mercenary and all her decisions are for monetary reasons and nothing else.I hope that the movie isn't an insult to his memory as the other one was as he has been portrayed in a less than complimentary light too many times since his death.

Ernie Isley would be a shoo-in if he were a few years younger as there is already a Hendrix connection with his family where 3 his older brothers had Jimi as their lead guitarist for a couple of years in the '64-'65 timeframe.Ernie also took some instruction from Jimi and claims that he decided to learn how to play lefty after having an extremely vivid dream where Jimi spoke to him one night and told him to learn how to play lefty.Frank Marino and Randy Hanson are among the few guitarists who can nail Jimi's playing the best,but it would take a lot of make-up and probably cranial-facial surgery to look the part.

There was a bio-pic made about Jimi several years before Janie hendrix got her greedy hooks into taking control of Jimi's considerable fortune(while his real blood siblings Leon,Joseph,Pamela,Kathy Ira and Alfred were institutionalized or left to live in poverty)but I digress.Anyway this so-called bio-pic was a monumental flop and ended up consigned to the 1 and 2 dollar bargain bins of DVDs you find in Dollar Stores.

I guess Janie wouldn't allow his actual songs to be used because her cut probably wouldn't be as large if it was,as she is completely mercenary and all her decisions are for monetary reasons and nothing else.I hope that the movie isn't an insult to his memory as the other one was as he has been portrayed in a less than complimentary light too many times since his death.

A friend of mine who lives in Seattle knows Leon very well. He's a great guy.

I've been to the EMP, and it was decent, but a lot of hype. Seeing some of Hendrix's, Noel's, and Mitch's stuff was awesome, but I actually found the sci-fi museum more sincere.....

Jimi wouldn't like what his "sister" is doing. Jainie totally contradicts him. And she reaps the benefits while Leon and the others don't get anything.

A friend of mine who lives in Seattle knows Leon very well. He's a great guy.

Ask your friend if you get time to ask Leon if he remembers a kid around 1973 or so down at Guitar Center when it was on 8th and Virginia street downtown Seattle.

I and a friend had gone there with our Gibsons.

Mine was a 1973 Les Paul Deluxe, and his was an early 60s SG.

Wanted mine to play like his, and they told me not gonna happen, as he had the slim neck.

I plugged into an amp to jam for awhile while my friend did something else, and a short bit later a guy asked if he could jack in with me and play.

I said yep, and we jammed for awhile.

After a bit we quit, and the sales guys said I had just jammed with Leon Hendrix.

Yep, I was blown away to have met Jimi's brother at that very young age.

It's really worth reading Leon's very revealing book 'Jimi Hendrix - a Brother's Story' (RowdyMoon posted about it a few months back and I got it) which to me has the ring of hard-learned truth to it....if that's not adversity I don't know what is.

That's a great story to pass on to your grandkids Corey,you certainly were lucky to be able to jam with Jim's own own flesh and blood.Jimi and Leon were very close yet that coniving little spawn of Satan-Janie- somehow managed to persuade Al in his twilight years that Leon wasn't worthy to take over control of Jimi's legacy.It's too bad that nobody in the Hendrix or Jeter families took steps to get Al's state of mind and mental faculties assessed when I'm sure that it must've been obvious what devious tricks Janie was up to. She certainly must have been deceitful in some ways to get Al to pick her over his own flesh and blood Leon.She gets on with the B.S. story about how she loved to see her "big brother" Jimi come home, when Jimi couldn't even remember her name in his last phone call home before he died.She certainly didn't love her other "big brothers and sisters" Leon,Joseph,Alfred,Pamela and Kathy Ira.The only person from the Hendrix family she could find with her complete lack of scruples was Jimi's cousin Robert-who was hardly the favourite cousin while Jimi and Leon were growing up.

BTW: I bought Leon's book just last week and can't wait to get the real dirty on Janie hendrix.

Note: I have never capitalized the h in hendrix when writing Janie's name because she isn't a true Hendrix and she doesn't deserve to be recognized as one.

Archived