Gibson Brands Forums

Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

CoreyT

Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

Anyone have one of these?

I like using YouTube to learn some guitar songs I like, but watching them on my Kindle Fire in the living room is kind of hard.

The new Kindle Fire HD coming out soon will have HDMI out so you can hook it to a TV set, and my Droid does this too, but I am thinking of a new Blu-Ray player, and the Sony one looks like it might fit the bill.

Also does Pandora, Netflix, and a whole lot more.

I could access YouTube on it and watch in full screen on my big TV and have it much louder playback than the Kindle Fire.

There is even an iPhone and Android app so you can control the player with a phone and also use the phones keyboard.

Not sure if you can type or not with the included Sony remote.

PS, lots of reviews there, and the first two I read are pretty positive about it.

Yeah thats pretty cool..

I think most TVs and audio visual stuff will start to have that sort of thing as standard.. My parents bought a Sony LCD a year or so ago and even that came with Youtube and other online apps.. But is not WiFi so you have to buy a special sony dongel which is a bit of a rip off.. But they come wifi these days.

Ive bever been interested in BlueRay.. I think everything will be digital soon so having a disk player is less interesting to me.. For Youtube, Netflix, BBC Iplayer and the like I use my X-Box 360.. I can also plug a USB stick in to it and it plays AVI and DIXV files and the like.. That does the job for me.. I can also control it with my phone which is pretty cool... I dont even play games any more just use it as a meida player. It will also connect to your PC if you set it up correctly and you can just stream content thats in a shared library. Its all pretty cool all this interconnectivity and still just the beginning. [thumbup]

After reading up more on the Panasonic on Cnets own review site, many do not like it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-bdt220/4505-9991_7-35120314.html

Some are thinking they get kickbacks for good reviews.

I am leaning for the Sony, as it seems to have better wireless, and that is important since I am going to be YouTubing on the thing.

Yeah thats pretty cool..

I think most TVs and audio visual stuff will start to have that sort of thing as standard.. My parents bought a Sony LCD a year or so ago and even that came with Youtube and other online apps.. But is not WiFi so you have to buy a special sony dongel which is a bit of a rip off.. But they come wifi these days.

Ive bever been interested in BlueRay.. I think everything will be digital soon so having a disk player is less interesting to me.. For Youtube, Netflix, BBC Iplayer and the like I use my X-Box 360.. I can also plug a USB stick in to it and it plays AVI and DIXV files and the like.. That does the job for me.. I can also control it with my phone which is pretty cool... I dont even play games any more just use it as a meida player. It will also connect to your PC if you set it up correctly and you can just stream content thats in a shared library. Its all pretty cool all this interconnectivity and still just the beginning. [thumbup]

Tech is changing these days but I just don't think a 3 foot 50 lb TV needs WiFi. Is there no direct hook-up for web for a TV. I'm sorry but I see WiFi as a something for a small portable device that needs the convenience of "any where you happen to be". Large TV's are staying put so they just need a line in for the web, I believe that even my mom's 4 year old TV can do this.

Tech is changing these days but I just don't think a 3 foot 50 lb TV needs WiFi. Is there no direct hook-up for web for a TV. I'm sorry but I see WiFi as a something for a small portable device that needs the convenience of "any where you happen to be". Large TV's are staying put so they just need a line in for the web, I believe that even my mom's 4 year old TV can do this.

It depends on where your router is... This is my parents TV im on about and my mum just wont have the extra wires from the kitchen to the lounge... I dont think it matters.. Wifi tech is not expensive and doesnt add much (if anything) in the way of cost and just means that for convience you dont have to bother trailing wires all over the place..

Wifi is not just about being portable but an easy way to link your Computers, Phones, Tablets etc to your home network so why not take advantage of that and just stick it on a TV which is brilliant for Youtube and if you have Netflix and stuff like that.

I use Youtube on my Xbox all of the time now.. Its brilliant.

Rabs, I love the way you guy's talk from the UK.

When watching the Harry Potter movies, they are always saying "brilliant."

Big fan of the BBC Of America channel too, and I am glad they put Dr. Who for season 7 on the HD channel finally so it is in wide screen.

Last year is was only on a non HD BBC channel here in my state.

Copper is also shaping up to be a very good series.

The Sony player has both Wi-Fi and Ethernet port on it, but I have very good wireless speeds here with Comcast.

I get around 35 megabit down wired to the PC with Comcast which is darn fast.

Rabs, I love the way you guy's talk from the UK.

When watching the Harry Potter movies, they are always saying "brilliant."

Hahaha... well I dont really talk like them.. im more cockney :) (from the East End of London)

And it depends on what mood im in.. I do often used the words Awesome and Dude in my posts aswell.. But thats cos im from the Bill and Ted generation :)

If im feeling polite I use brilliant.. but also with technology I find it a more suitable word as WiFi is actually brilliant in its design and use

(and yes I also like to watch Doctor Who, been watching it since I was very very young and even though its not amazing it is fun :))

In my opinion, specialized equipment such as this quickly becomes too smart for it's own good, so I like to keep things simple and figure out the smart solutions myself.

So I have laptop in the living room connected to the TV with HDMI and controlled over wifi by my tablet. so I can sit on my couch or stand by the amp playing, and use the tablet to browse the internet (including youtube ofc), and access the library of movies and music on the desktop in the office, right on my 42" TV and stereo system [thumbup]

We got the Sony BDP-S390 two month ago. Very happy with it so far. The built in wi-fi was easy to set up, though I have not used it's streaming features much because we have Apple TV to do that. Also it's Blue Ray playback has been excellent. It replaced a Samsung Blue Ray player that was awful - buggy on DVD playback and poor wi-fi performance.

I have a audio/video cable from Cables To Go that I use to use long ago when I ran TV tuner cards in my old PC, and the cables would go to the old TV in the living room.

I could use the TV tuner cards like a DVR, and also mirror anything on my PC.

Same cables work with a laptop, and I have ran my laptop in the living room before to play the original Unreal Tournament (it will not run the newer UTs) and I could also use YouTube on it, but it is a hassle with the cables and using the laptop in the living room.

With one of these fancy Blu-Ray players it is less cables going on the carpet, and a much neater overall package.

It came yesterday, I saw, and I liked.

This thing is thin and not deep like my other player that is only a few years old.

Cannot believe how they have shrunk down so much.

Fired it up and it walked me through getting connected to the network.

Only thing extra I had to do was use a number they gave me and go to Sony's website to reg it and enter the number to get Pandora working.

I already had a Pandora account, so as soon as I hit send on my PC, the screen changed on my TV and said it was successful getting regged to use Pandora on it.

YouTube works great too, but it is tedious and slow to enter "how to play" so and so's song.

I think there is an Android app that will let me use my Droids keyboard to type which will be much quicker to search YouTube videos.

Pretty awesome unit though, it has Amazon on it too for vids and maybe my music from the Cloud, have not checked into it yet.

Will get more time over the weekend.

Our router has both LAN (CAT5) and wireless access, I tried the wireless once. It was so slow and sluggish that I just drilled a few holes in the floor and ran two 50 foot CAT 5's to my room upstairs (via the basement) had to add a connector port in the wall in my room for them, it was relatively painless and I already had the cable's so it didn't cost that much for the port in the wall.

Archived