Gibson Brands Forums

Do you have any phobias?

Rabs

Now theres not much in the world that im scared of. And when I say scared I dont mean just not wanting to be bitten or stung but the sort of scared that uncontrolable.. For me its Spiders.. Always has been and probably always will be..

Now ive heard it all, get hypnotised, they are more scared of you than you are from them etc etc.. but nothing helps im just proper arachnophobic and the very sight of any kind of spider (apart from the really tiny ones) puts my body into panic and shock and I just cant deal with knowing one is in the room..

They have been getting bigger in the country too even though I am fully aware how big they get (ive been to South Africa and Australia (where I checked my bed sheets, the toilet, behind the curtains every night before bed). So am really glad at least I live in a country where they arnt much bigger than a few inches.. The worst ones are with the big abdomens and thick legs.. They just freak me out.. To the point where now I wont have the windows open as too many come in when I do and id rather be hot lol (yes I know it silly)

I had an incident today where my room was just too hot this morning so I went to open the window just for a short while and as I did a spider fell onto the bed and I didnt catch it (kill actually).. So for the last few hours I keep going into the room to see if its come out yet so I can bash it.. And I did just before so panic over so I can sleep tonight now :P

Also I will say before anyone else does.. Im not into killing anything but its either kill it or I have to live in fear and panic.. So sorry spiders but come near me and you will die...

Lol.. so do you have any phobias? Ive heard of really weird ones like for balloons or clowns?? And how does it effect your daily life? Im not quite as bad as I used to be and have learned to control it, but it still means that I cant rest if I know theres a spider in the room (and yes I know they are everywhere, but as long as they stay hidden I can live with it (its not like I have a choice). :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The toughest guy I know is deathly afraid of spiders. They don't bother me too much.

You could not pay me enough money to go on a cruise ship. OK you probably could, but it would be a lot of money.

I have no problem with small boats. I love to fish, and water ski. But large ships I stay away from.

Maybe it was seeing the movie, the Poseidon Adventure, in the theater when I was about 12. That was probably it.

Don't mind airplanes. But I am not getting on a large boat. Ever. [crying]

Haha yeah.. im not sure anynone likes the dentist.. and I also hate needles.. but it doesnt make me panic, i just really dont like it .

I used to hate needles but now i don't, I used to have a phobia of spiders attacking me but getting to know a dangerous spider close up they really got to be friends with me :) the spider that lives under my house keeps away the insects for me, and also comes through my window to see me play guitar :)

the spider that lives under my house keeps away the insects for me, and also comes through my window to see me play guitar :)

Lol... NEVER!!

I know they keep insects away.. but just cant deal with them.

Is your friend a big one or just a dangerous one?

Bees, anything in the Wasp family (except for W.A.S.P.!), horse flies, etc. I'm perfectly fine with spiders, but a hornet flying around me will send me running for the hills....

Needles/syringes aren't my friends either....

If Fender Guy loves magic mushrooms,he'd love grazing on our lawn.I was out today cleaning up the dog's butt muffins she left on the lawn and I saw dozens of them. As for phobias I have an absolutely incredile fear of heights-I even get vertigo when I step up on a curb-it's not quite that bad but anything above 6 feet and 8 feet at the absolute most just paralyzes me with fear.What is strange about heights is that I can or more correctly,could,climb the highest kind of tree and the height wouldn't bother me,I guess that being surrounded by branches made me feel more secure.I also don't fear heights above water,when we went on a cruise a couple of yeas ago the balcony of our suite was about 100 ft. above sea level but it didn't bother me to lean over the rail and watch the dolphins and porposes riding the bow waves.I'm also very claustrophobic and get in a panic if I get into any kind of close quarters. I also have a phobia of centipedes,millipedes and European earwigs.

Re acrophobia (fear of heights) and claustrophobia (fear of closed in places): My youngest daughter besides being an emergency responder-on her way to becoming a paramedic-just became a firefighter on top of all that.For her test she had to go up at the top of the aerial ladder and climb through a long and narrow culvert and she didn't bat an eye. She also ran their prescribed course with almost 100 lbs of breathing apparatus and other gear and did it in almost record time.The chief told her that a lot of men couldn't finish the course-let alone in almost record time and he said that many try-outs freeze on the ladder and in the culvert.You'dd never say by looking at her that she was at all like that because she's only 5 foot nothing and very petite and pretty.

Terrified of lizards.

I don't mind spiders as much, although during my first year of college in the UK, I saw a few on the outside of the window, so that window, needless to say, remained shut for the entire year.

Whether that counts, or is just good common sense, to not have any fresh air in the room and preventing spiders from coming in, (I was on the ground floor) I don't know?

Haha yeah.. im not sure anynone likes the dentist.. and I also hate needles.. but it doesnt make me panic, i just really dont like it .

i've literally fainted in a dentist chair, and in another dentist waiting room.....

i've almost fainted in an optometrists waiting room

also fainted in a Dr.s treatment room, and a hospital ER

I've "set" my own broken bones to avoid medical care.........

any time I visit any medical office, my pulse raises to 120, my BP goes near stroke range, and my temp raises to 101 degrees, 10 minutes later, everything is back to normal.

I have a condition known as "White coat phobia"(in some regions Lab coat phobia), brought on by being repeatedly mauled by, and possibly abused by some really bad Drs. when I was a little child.

I had nasty encounters with bees and dogs at age 4...so had phobias for a few years

I now realise that bees are not that much of a threat, and I love dogs to bits... [biggrin]

Continuing hate though for wasps(IMO normal because of their insistence around food etc) and hornets :blink:

Spiders are unpleasant to touch so the 'upturned glass and stiff card' method is used to 'relocate'....

V

:-({|=

VERTIGO

And in an extreme form. I never had it but start to realize one day my body acted weird when climbing a tree (I was tree surgeon that time).

I had to quit the job.

It became worse and worse. Now if I even see a picture taken from a high building I feel the vertigo. If I see my children climb on something...I am scared because I know they gonna fall of.

If I even think about something high...brrrr.

Also when I am on the ground and look at a high tower in from of me and I look way up, I just start spinning around and fall.

How does it feel: My toes curl in a crampy way, I make fists (White knuckels), start to sweath, feel dizzy, heart beats like crazy...and if I stay too long watching to a hight or from a hight I fall on the ground.

I have a real problem with heights. I also become dizzy. I can work my way up a ladder to do some house painting and slowly not be gripping the ladder with white knuckles. Hard to paint and hold a can of paint on a ladder at the same time.

I never thought I was claustrophobic until I had an MRI last year. My whole body including my head was in the machine. Didn't much care for that. Had to really work on my breathing not to screw up the MRI. Closing my eyes and picturing myself somewhere else helped. Listening to fairly loud music was good too.

Guest Farnsbarns

Now theres not much in the world that im scared of. And when I say scared I dont mean just not wanting to be bitten or stung but the sort of scared that uncontrolable.. For me its Spiders.. Always has been and probably always will be..

Now ive heard it all, get hypnotised, they are more scared of you than you are from them etc etc.. but nothing helps im just proper arachnophobic and the very sight of any kind of spider (apart from the really tiny ones) puts my body into panic and shock and I just cant deal with knowing one is in the room..

They have been getting bigger in the country too even though I am fully aware how big they get (ive been to South Africa and Australia (where I checked my bed sheets, the toilet, behind the curtains every night before bed). So am really glad at least I live in a country where they arnt much bigger than a few inches.. The worst ones are with the big abdomens and thick legs.. They just freak me out.. To the point where now I wont have the windows open as too many come in when I do and id rather be hot lol (yes I know it silly)

I had an incident today where my room was just too hot this morning so I went to open the window just for a short while and as I did a spider fell onto the bed and I didnt catch it (kill actually).. So for the last few hours I keep going into the room to see if its come out yet so I can bash it.. And I did just before so panic over so I can sleep tonight now :P

Also I will say before anyone else does.. Im not into killing anything but its either kill it or I have to live in fear and panic.. So sorry spiders but come near me and you will die...

Lol.. so do you have any phobias? Ive heard of really weird ones like for balloons or clowns?? And how does it effect your daily life? Im not quite as bad as I used to be and have learned to control it, but it still means that I cant rest if I know theres a spider in the room (and yes I know they are everywhere, but as long as they stay hidden I can live with it (its not like I have a choice). :)

Fear of spiders is fairly rational now, even in the UK. You might not want to read this Rabs...

Nasty spider we now have include tube webs, false widows, black widows, woodlouse spiders, walnut orb weavers, wasp spiders, red backs, cellar spiders, lace weavers, black lace weavers, mouse spiders, rustic wolf spiders, bark sac spiders, stone spiders, cross (or garden) spiders and Bruennichi's Argiopes which are biting more and more people, probably climate change is increasing their numbers.

Most are nothing more than an irritation but some are quite dangerous.

Fear of spiders is fairly rational now, even in the UK. You might not want to read this Rabs...

Nasty spider we now have include tube webs, false widows, black widows, woodlouse spiders, walnut orb weavers, wasp spiders, red backs, cellar spiders, lace weavers, black lace weavers, mouse spiders, rustic wolf spiders, bark sac spiders, stone spiders, cross (or garden) spiders and Bruennichi's Argiopes which are biting more and more people, probably climate change is increasing their numbers.

Lol, Rabs may minus you for this one.

You are just asking for it aren't you?

LOL!!!!

For me,,

Opened water..

I can swim great, but drop me the middle of a lake, or pond, (or GASP!!! OCEAN! OY!!) where I've no idea how deep the water is, or better yet,, what the heck I'm sharing the water with, and just like Jesus,, I'm going to run, on top of the water, to get to the shore.

I also don't like being on ladders...

I have issues..

LOL.. my fear isnt of being bitten (even though I obviously want to avoid that too).. The very physical presance of a spider sends me into shock.. And yeah I have heard about the false widows.. BUT I think it still stands theres not a single bug or animal over here that can kill you with venom... But as I say, its more the spiders themselves than what they can do to me.

Archived