Gibson Brands Forums

Asking the rock dinosaurs. . .

E-minor7

Just wondering if any of you lads ever attended the Sunset Strip Whisky a Go Go during its first incarnation between 1964/65 and 75.

The name of the legendary club always had a ring to it (at least on this side of the pond) so if yes, maybe a few words, some band names of even wild tales would be candy.

A great lover of authentic eyewitness accounts from the golden age of R'n'R here, still sure younger Boarders will lend an ears as well ~

WhiskyAGoGo.gif

Zomb - According to the list I have, the other act would have been Smokestack Lightning (never heard of them, but maybe you recall). That is if your trip to the coast was a summer journey, which I presume. If youwent in December the second name was a band called Timber.

Was it a funky place, , , did girls dance go go in cages and colors drip down the walls. . .

Danville - You must have been in circles that reverbed rumours of the club events.

Danville - You must have been in circles that reverbed rumours of the club events.

Yeah... I might have hit a club or two in my day!

The 'big' club here was "Frenchies".... all the big-names played there..... and they DID have girls dancing in cages! (ask Grandpa)

Yeah... I might have hit a club or two in my day!

The 'big' club here was "Frenchies".... all the big-names played there..... and they DID have girls dancing in cages! (ask Grandpa)

Haha he, , , the echo of that place never arrived here.

Sounds interesting though.

Haha he, , , the echo of that place never arrived here.

Sounds interesting though.

The go-go craze was pretty much everywhere in the early-mid 1960's. I was in high school in Scottsdale, Arizona, and a big local watering hole called the Pink Pony had dry Sunday afternoon dances (no alcohol) that allowed wide-eyed 18-year-olds like me to come in for dancing to both live and recorded music. And yes, they did have girls dancing in big cages above the floor: fringe dresses, white go-go boots.

LA had the Whisky a Go-Go, but New York had the Cafe au Go-Go, which pre-dated the Whisky. Both were really important music venues. Of course, the Village in NY had more music clubs in about six square blocks than almost anywhere else in the world. But then I was an east coast guy after I went there to go to college, so that was the music scene I was most familiar with.

Grew up in Pasadena, Calif through the mid-sixties. Used to go to dances at the Civic Auditorium on weekends, and they'd have acts like Iron Butterfly, The Seeds, Turtles, Blood Sweat & Tears, etc. Would occasionally drive down the Sunset Strip & go to Wallach's Music City to spin 45s in their listening rooms, but never went to the Whiskey. Age limit? At any rate, great times musically.

Zomb - According to the list I have, the other act would have been Smokestack Lightning (never heard of them, but maybe you recall). That is if your trip to the coast was a summer journey, which I presume. If youwent in December the second name was a band called Timber.

It was December. I am still drawing a blank on what I guess was Timber though.

Zomb - According to the list I have, the other act would have been Smokestack Lightning (never heard of them, but maybe you recall).

Boy, I usually remember fairly obscure groups from the 60's, but that one sent me to doing research. I remembered the band's name, and their obviously eponymous "hit" of the same name, which was a tune everyone in the world has covered.

Turns out they did some singles, and as far as I can tell, just one album. They were pretty much the house band at the Whisky. There are maybe a half dozen of their songs on youtube.

After listening to them, they were neither better not worse than a lot of bands of that period that showed promise but never quite made the big time. They seemed to use the same rhythm riff in one vairation or another on many of their songs, which may explain why they never really went anywhere.

Archived