Gibson Brands Forums

Cream binding and plastic parts

rama92

Rama92, I've seen this happen with lacquered guitars, when the lacquer yellows from age, heat, smoke, etc but Epi's are finished in polyurethane, which will not yellow. Therefore, I don't know how any of these turned yellow or how to fix it. If you would, please send me some pics at tmoney@gibson.com and I'll see whether I can figure anything out for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rama92, I've seen this happen with lacquered guitars, when the lacquer yellows from age, heat, smoke, etc but Epi's are finished in polyurethane, which will not yellow. Therefore, I don't know how any of these turned yellow or how to fix it. If you would, please send me some pics at tmoney@gibson.com and I'll see whether I can figure anything out for you.

Tmoney, I have a question on this topic. I was recently left in a estate a 1970 Les Paul Black Beauty the binding is almost orange from age and smoke, it is beautiful. However the guitar smells terrible. I want to clean it but don't want to do anything to change the appearance of the binding. Any suggestions?

Hey Rev,I am a smoker. I don,t smell smoky guitars as you do, I guess! Not sure what to do with a solid-body guitar that smells smoky? I would suggest baking soda if it was an acoustic!

I guess you could polish it with some fu-fu cleaner and make it smell better for awhile??

Have you tried cleaning it with Naptha yet? That's safe for Nitro & Poly and even Ric CV finishes. Use it to clean all my guitars. Never had one smell like smoke as I can't get into smokey places. I don't know if you can use some damp cloth cleaning after the Naptha. I use a damp cloth sometimes to clean the acoustics, let them fog a bit (think it's the Gibson guitar polish that fogs lightly), then buff it off with a good soft rag or micro-fiber.

Does the case smell smokey too? If so, you should clean & air that puppy out good too.

Aster.

Archived