Gibson Brands Forums

New to this forum

Alohaed

Hi there, new member here. Also new guitarist, just learning to play. Don't want to spend money on a new Gibson yet until I can actually play. When I was married, my wife bought me a Strat. Yet from taking some lessons, I was more comfortable playing the neck a Gibson knockoff, even a friend's SG, than my Strat. Especially certain notes. So, with that being said, I saw a glossy black Gibson Les Paul Studio in a local pawn shop. Had the trapazoid inlays, had the "Studio", in a bell shaped logo, on the headstock, along with Les Paul and GIBSON, on the head. The back had serial number 016771328. I tried looking this up on Gibson's website, but was totally confused and Emailed them. Anyway, could any of you let me know if this guitar is authentic and not a fake? And maybe what year it's from? I am leary of a pawn shop AND never saw any where I live all my life until recently. The owner said he could do $550. Also, is this a decent price? Hey, if I had the $1300 I would go to a store and get the Joe Bonamass LP Studio Goldtop. But a used guitar is ok for learning.

Welcome.

In 2005 Gibson went to 9 digit serials on Gibson USA guitars. That number indicates manufacture in 2007 (the first and fifth number - 07). No way to tell if it's genuine without pictures as some counterfeits use valid serial numbers. However, given that it's a Studio, and that the price is in the ballpark for a used Studio in good shape, it's probably safe buy. If you want a better confirmation, email . service@gibson.com . with the serial and they can tell you if the number was used on a production guitar, the model, finish color and hardware color. Other than that, the members here can tell you if it fake or real if you post pictures.

BTW, on an 8 digit number it's YdddYrrr, and on a 9 digit it's YdddYbrrr where b is the batch number - Gibson USA (Nashville) is sometimes running out of production ranking numbers in a day so they added a batch number.

Memphis and Bozeman - still using 8 digits.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. One more question. Would the neck of the studio be similar to most Les Pauls and SGs? As stated, I am only learning and can play the Gibson Les Paul and SG style necks easier than a Strat. Also, before I even took lessons(many years go), I purchased a popular name brand acoustic and had troubel playing the neck. My teacher had me try a number of other brand guitars until I found one with a comfortable neck. So I realize my concerns are valid, UNTIL I am able to play fluently.

There's several different neck profiles. The current Studio spec is for a 60s Slim, not sure what the Studio neck spec was in 2007. The Standard has an asymmetrical '60s Slim taper. There's also the 30/60 which is a 60s slim that .30 of an inch thicker for the whole length, and the 50s Rounded which is fairly thick (.80-.90 inch). You should get the guitar into your hands and see how the neck feels to you.

Archived