Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Wiring Harness.

slavestate

Hello there,

I recently have been contemplating changing out the wiring harness in my 2011 Gibson SG as I figured it would be interesting to upgrade it and see if I notice anything positive. I looked around and I saw quite a few options, but for some reason this one from Tundratone stood out to me.

It comes with RS Superpots for volume, CTS 550k spec pots for tone, Genuine USA made, NOS paper in oil caps w/insulated leads with .022uf bridge and.015uf neck value. Switchcraft jack and toggle switch and more. The description said it was a complete kit, but no inclination that it's assembled. I'm looking forward to installing it from the ground up if it doesn't come complete, however if it is assembled when it arrives I'll be just as happy.

Here's what it looks like:

TT_SG_HARNESS(1).jpg

I will update this thread when it arrives as well as before and after I install it.

Enjoy!

The harness should be here soon. I received a very kind email stating that it will be hand made and ready to drop into my SG upon arrival, and that it will be coming with upgraded capacitors free of charge! I'm certainly excited.

I will record a couple of demos of how it sounds before and after I do the installation.

More to come!

That looks nice and you will notice a Huge Difference right a way. In my opinion those 300k pots choke off the pickups badly. Kinda like a govenor not allowing u to floor ur Engine and only giving ya half throttle.

I like going even further with no maple tops and on the SG a 1meg pot with a little darker cap lets even more come through

• 2 weeks later...

I received the wiring harness in the mail a little over a week ago. I have been insanely busy the past week working on the new house, so when I set the work bench back up we'll be in business.

Upon opening the wiring looks great and the cosmetics of the packaging were superb and top notch. The wiring harness also came with a nice bill of production card as well as some very detailed installation instructions.

More to come!

• 3 weeks later...

I took the stock SG wiring harness out and I was quite amazed at the PC board assembly and all of the USB type clips it used to connect the electronics together. Amazed in that I'm not too sure it's necessary. Even my Epiphone G400 has a hand wired harness.

The wiring harness I purchased was pre-assembled so all I had to do was drop it in and solder the pickup leads to their respective volume pots. At first I had a bit of trouble understanding that the outer sheathing on the pickup leads are ground and the inner are hot. After some fooling around and getting some pretty odd sounds to come out of my pickups, I was able to get it all working.

What I have noticed right away is the neck pickup is a bit more clear and not as muddy when playing certain chords and combined scaled notes. The bridge pickup is even more bright than before and when playing full chords with overdrive on the amp I am able to hear the articulation of each note a little bit better.

All in all, I am very happy with the switch and I anticipate that no other modifications will be necessary in the electronics department. The last thing I might do is put on that cream pick guard I have been itching to order.

I suggest a nice wiring harness replacement if you've got the funds and the time for it.

Enjoy!

Archived