Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Pauls are chambered?

slavestate

R9's post is awesome with a wealth of information.

Gibson did not advertize or inform the guitar buying public when they started doing it. I believe they were trying to hide this fact due to potential bad feedback.

Their "Solid Body' guitar was no longer a solid body.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

...I am interested in one, but I don't want one that is chambered...

Just out of curiosity, slavestate, (and certainly not trying to start a bunfight) but why don't you want a chambered Paul? Have you had much experience of them?

Due to the very nature of the beast they vary from one example to the next possibly more than any other Paul. Some, relatively speaking, are very light whilst others weigh the same as either the typical 'Trad' or an Historic.

The very first chambered I played was horrid but another, owned by a fellow forumite, would be included in my 'top five' all-time favourite LPs.

If you haven't played many then perhaps you should try out as many as you can find. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you discover.

P.

I don't think of weight releif or chambering as being evil but If I had a choice between a solid body and a chambered one I would choose the solid IF they weighed the same. I think I heard somewhere that LP's were in the 15 lb range before they started weight relief. The best light mahogany wood was just too expensive.

R9's post is awesome with a wealth of information.

Gibson did not advertize or inform the guitar buying public when they started doing it. I believe they were trying to hide this fact due to potential bad feedback.

Their "Solid Body' guitar was no longer a solid body.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

OK, you are wrong. [biggrin]

Gibson was actually very open about chambering and which guitars were chambered when they first introduced it. They still are if you look at the website. They were not not open about swiss cheese holes way back when.

Chambered = Evil just makes me giggle.....

Think of the acoustics and semis,

they all have feelings too, yah know !

I don't think chambered les pauls are evil at all. I own solid body les pauls, R8, 72, and 77 standards, Swiss 88, 99, 2004, 2006 and chambered, 2008, and 2010. You really can't tell the difference, but you can certainly feel the difference in weight. Of all the les pauls I own, the 2008 chambered is my favorite.

I don't think chambered les pauls are evil at all.

Then my tongue-in-cheek jibe was not aimed at you.....

Rather at the cork-sniffer brigade who hate chambered LPs,

the guys who think "Norlin" means "spawn of satan".

If it plays good and sounds good, they can make 'em out of Gruyère for all I care.

Do I mean Gruyère? No - I mean Emmentaler - the one with the holes in (obviously?)

Archived