Gibson Brands Forums

es 345 varitone circuit

NiceGuyEddie

Hello friends. I adore my 2009 es 345. The pickups are lively and though I do not use the stereo feature, I do like to play with the varitone. I mostly use the 1 position(bypass) and like 4,5 and 6. Positions 4 and 5 are so nasal sounding and cool and 6, though some find it to high pitched, I think sounds great to add color. This guitars varitone does not sound the same as my '71 es 355 in that the varitone positions were SOOOO choked sounding they actually sounded like a song played on an old transistor radio. Well I want to create that sound in my modern guitar. Does anyone think I can achieve this by installing an old vintage varitone chasis in this one?

Nice Guy Eddie, I understand the varitones vary from, what seems like every 5 or 6 years according to what I have read. I can safely say that the one in my 73, walnut is outstanding and like you I often have it on one, but cut back or up,(number goes up on mine as you push the switch back),anyway, position 3, and 4 on the 73 walnut sound great, and position one. Two is ok, but not that much different from one (a little less bass). But what I'm saying is as I go to 5 and 6 that sound on mine sounds a little thin, or shrill, and similar to the radio sound you are describing.

That being said, changing the 345 harness seems like a crap shoot, because I'm gathering that there were many different sounding varitones. Also, the thought of entering what has been described as spaghetti on the inside seems expensive and unnecessary if you can duplicate that sound with a footpedal. (For example, the 5 and 6 setting sounds similar to a wah pedal cranked open, or partially open.) Further, you may find an eq device does the radio sound you are looking for. (with as many pedals as there are available, it wouldn't surprise me that you could find several foot pedals to pick from that make that audio radio sound.)

This may or may not have been helpful, but I'm returning input that people have given me on the 345. It is an awesome instrument imo. Good luck

Nice Guy Eddie, something to think about that I didn't(you may have already)but on those 5's 345 335 355 the tailpiece comes in a couple, if not more ways. Some with a trapease, and some with a stop tail. When I got mine it came with a hard tail. They are supposed to have a trapease that year 73. Anyway, someone changed it along the way.

But they did a great job, and I like the stop or hard tail. I think it may have reduced the value (actually one review I read said it increased it) but not real bad. Some don't like the trapease. I've owned guitars with trapeases, and they sound good to me. Just a heads up so you know while your looking. Some years had the trapease, some years had the hard tail, and many have been switched. Again good luck in your search.

Archived