Gibson Brands Forums

New EJ200 on the way

69tele

I think they come with 12's but to be honest the stock strings didn't stay on mine long enough for me to bother to find out.

The SJ's really benefit from a heavy gauge (well medium/heavy by acoustic standard) set - 13's or 14's

I find the CE works really well with Martin Bronzes 13's which seem to tame the overly aggressive high end of the CE better than Phos Br strings.

I have 3 EJ-200's and they all get by on different gauge strings.#1 is very responsive, and does well with extra lights.# 2 doesn't really require any particular gage, so I put lights on it. #3 is a sunburst, while the other 2 are natural, and I don't know if the extra paint has an effect or not, but it really shines with medium gauge strings. I guess I'm saying that it depends on the guitar itself. I always try to get by with the lightest gauge I can.

I have 3 EJ-200's and they all get by on different gauge strings.#1 is very responsive, and does well with extra lights.# 2 doesn't really require any particular gage, so I put lights on it. #3 is a sunburst, while the other 2 are natural, and I don't know if the extra paint has an effect or not, but it really shines with medium gauge strings. I guess I'm saying that it depends on the guitar itself. I always try to get by with the lightest gauge I can.

Are yours CE's of straight EJ200's as I've noticed that it's the CE version that seems to work better with Medium/Heavy strings. Maybe something to do with the cutaway.

Archived