Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Advanced Jumbo

EuroAussie

Great shout, EA-the AJ is a great guitar. I love mine.

Weirdly, the pics of yours look identical to mine, right down to those Boxwood MOP bridge pins...I presumed mine were an aftermarket item, but maybe not.

Mine is a 2002 as well. They're a great fingerstyle guitar, loud and rich but dry and direct. You'll love it!

I find mine favours 80/20 Bronze strings and hates PB, particularly D'Addario EJ16s. I use standard Martin 80/20 12-54s and it sings. Some favour 13s on an AJ, but I have found that as it is an extremely lightly braced guitar, I don't fancy risking the added tension of 13s with it. It sounds and plays great with 12s, so I'm happy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shout, EA-the AJ is a great guitar. I love mine.

Weirdly, the pics of yours look identical to mine, right down to those Boxwood MOP bridge pins...I presumed mine were an aftermarket item, but maybe not.

Mine is a 2002 as well. They're a great fingerstyle guitar, loud and rich but dry and direct. You'll love it!

I find mine favours 80/20 Bronze strings and hates PB, particularly D'Addario EJ16s. I use standard Martin 80/20 12-54s and it sings. Some favour 13s on an AJ, but I have found that as it is an extremely lightly braced guitar, I don't fancy risking the added tension of 13s with it. It sounds and plays great with 12s, so I'm happy.

I know youre a big fan of your AJ Jinder and I trust I will have the same experience as yourself.

I also feel 80/20's will be the go on this beast, certainly they are the preferred strings on my rosewood Songwriter. Interestingly, the seller in this clip was using a new set of Daddario PB's and with interesting gages ... mediums on low and high E, B and lights for the remaining three.

Im looking forward to getting this guitar, it will be interesting how it fits into the stable. I decided that I will move the Songwriter to my office, so its sort of a demotion but not relegation.

The conference is actually at the end of next month, so i still have a good six weeks to wait and ponder.

Thanks a lot for the encouragment guys, will definitely get some pics and smaples up when she arrives !

EA

Congrats and welcome to the AJ club [thumbup]

As I've said before Aussie, the AJ is almost like having 2 guitars in one. Phospher bronze on a AJ makes them deep and mellow....actually similar to the D28s I've owned. I suspect that the ones you previously played had PB on them. 80/20s bring out a different animal, lots of " zing" I call it. It's amazing how sensitive the AJ is to different string types. I switch up from time to time depending on my mood. I like PB on it when I'm feeling some hank Williams and need a dark and dreary sound. When I want some hot bluegrass, it's 80/20s and the AJ cuts like a knife. I suspect with the new finger style interest you will want the 80/20s. Listening to the sound clip you posted that AJ has 80/20 on it so now you know what to string her with

Enjoy!!!

Yes, quite exciting Johnny. I definitely plan to trying it out with both my favourite PB and 80/20 strings and see how the AJ responds. String experiments are fun, although with the Songwriter it was a bit of a pain as its sooooh sensitive to strings types and had to try many varietie, but seems to be happy with Martin Lifespan 80/20's, tuned down half a step.

cheers !

EA

Congrats and welcome to the AJ club [thumbup]

As I've said before Aussie, the AJ is almost like having 2 guitars in one. Phospher bronze on a AJ makes them deep and mellow....actually similar to the D28s I've owned. I suspect that the ones you previously played had PB on them. 80/20s bring out a different animal, lots of " zing" I call it. It's amazing how sensitive the AJ is to different string types. I switch up from time to time depending on my mood. I like PB on it when I'm feeling some hank Williams and need a dark and dreary sound. When I want some hot bluegrass, it's 80/20s and the AJ cuts like a knife. I suspect with the new finger style interest you will want the 80/20s. Listening to the sound clip you posted that AJ has 80/20 on it so now you know what to string her with

Enjoy!!!

I just slapped on a set of Martin Lifespan SP coated Phosphor Bronze strings (Mediums) on my AJ this past weekend — Instant bliss.

I should note that I've never cared for any of the coated strings that have been on guitars I've played in the past. I had received the Martin Lifespan strings at a guitar clinic last year for free. I hadn't given them any thought until I found them tucked away in storage this past weekend. My AJ was due for a string chance so I thought why not try 'em just for grins. I figured if I didn't like them, I"d just replace them with my regular strings (D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings which I use on all of my guitars). I was amazed at how good these coated strings sounded on the AJ. It was definitely a nice surprise.

Good luck with the AJ!

Interestingly, the seller in this clip was using a new set of Daddario PB's and with interesting gages ... mediums on low and high E, B and lights for the remaining three.

I think that's similar to what I use on my AJ. I think John Pearse calls it a "bluegrass set". What "bluegrass gauge" strings are is a mixed set, with medium gauge low E, A and D strings, and light gauge G. B and high E strings. I can see wanting to fatten up the high "E".. Its a good idea...

BTW...my AJ likes Phosphor Bronze.

Congratulations, EuroAussie. Man, I saw that guitar for sale at acousticguitarforum.com. I applied for a membership just so I could send a message to the seller intending to buy it immediately. Unfortunately (for me at least) it took 2 days to get accepted and, alas, it was sold. Then to find out that Buddy Miller was the "Nashville singer/songwriter" he was referring to...oh my! Buddy hand picks all his guitars so you can be sure it's a really good one. Like you, I haven't been too impressed with the new ones I've tried in the stores, but I'm determined to find a good AJ at a reasonable price. I guess this will always be the one that got away LOL. Be sure to give us all the details when you get it. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Larry, if this AJ dosnt work for me I promise that you will be the first person Ill contact !

Congratulations, EuroAussie. Man, I saw that guitar for sale at acousticguitarforum.com. I applied for a membership just so I could send a message to the seller intending to buy it immediately. Unfortunately (for me at least) it took 2 days to get accepted and, alas, it was sold. Then to find out that Buddy Miller was the "Nashville singer/songwriter" he was referring to...oh my! Buddy hand picks all his guitars so you can be sure it's a really good one. Like you, I haven't been too impressed with the new ones I've tried in the stores, but I'm determined to find a good AJ at a reasonable price. I guess this will always be the one that got away LOL. Be sure to give us all the details when you get it. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Also means, the Songwriter will probably get the cut, unless I really hate the AJ.

EA,

Just wanted to know why you 'll be selling the songwriter when you've got the AJ. I''m looking for an acoustic gibson and I've got my eye one a songwriter ec or a j45 tv. Is the songwriter bad?

EA,

Just wanted to know why you 'll be selling the songwriter when you've got the AJ. I''m looking for an acoustic gibson and I've got my eye one a songwriter ec or a j45 tv. Is the songwriter bad?

There is nothing wrong with the Songwriter, but I personally just have not bonded with it like the other Gibsons in my stable. It has more of a 'modern' Gibson tone which doesnt quite sit as well with me as the old school tone. Remember the SWD has a different design to a traditional Gibson dreadnought square or slope shouldered design. This could be the reason that been bothering me a bit.

Also, Im not a big fan of big, splashy overtones which the SWD seems to have. If I do play rosewood I would like to have more focused overtone which the AJ seems to have. Collings guitars like D2H also seem to have a more focused overtone. But Im much nore of a mahogany guy with its less overtone, and a fudamental, woody tone.

However I moved the SWD to my office which actually is great idea, as there I can play it a lot and it doesnt have the other Gibbys to compete with.

Best is just to play a few and see how you like the tone.

There is nothing wrong with the Songwriter, but I personally just have not bonded with it like the other Gibsons in my stable. It has more of a 'modern' Gibson tone which doesnt quite sit as well with me as the old school tone. Remember the SWD has a different design to a traditional Gibson dreadnought square or slope shouldered design. This could be the reason that been bothering me a bit.

Also, Im not a big fan of big, splashy overtones which the SWD seems to have. If I do play rosewood I would like to have more focused overtone which the AJ seems to have. Collings guitars like D2H also seem to have a more focused overtone. But Im much nore of a mahogany guy with its less overtone, and a fudamental, woody tone.

However I moved the SWD to my office which actually is great idea, as there I can play it a lot and it doesnt have the other Gibbys to compete with.

Best is just to play a few and see how you like the tone.

Thanks for the explanation! I've just bought my tickets to Florida for mid November and hopefully I can bring home one. I saw a kinda new J45 TV on a Dutch selling site for only € 1450,-. But since I don't know which one it's going to be, I'll just have to wait till November and try both of them in a Guitarcenter.

I haven't played a re-issue Advanced Jumbo however I do own a 1938 AJ and it still sounds great even if it does need some work. It belonged to my father who was in a country/western/swing band in the 40s and 50s. If Gibson matched the sound on the re-issue, I'm going to get one.

I'm officially jealous. One of the guys I make music with has a 1997 AJ that sounds unreal. Similarly voiced to my J-45 but with much more raw power.

To own one that previously belonged to Buddy Miller aswell??? That's very cool.

Are you a fan of Buddy Miller Gibby?

Have to admit Ive never heard of Buddy Miller, but I youtube'd him after hearing this and was impressed by what I heard, tasty. He seems to have quite a nice collection of Gibbys, so my hopes are high if that AJ came from his own personal stash Jack ...

• 2 weeks later...

I think your going to enjoy your newly acquired AJ, I own a 2003 Lt. Edition AJ and I use John Pearse PB strings sometimes 80/20's, these are great sounding guitars that can be both fingerpicked or flat picked easily.

I also own an original 1938 AJ (pictured on my Avatar). I compare them all the time. The original '38 has a greater richness of tone when A/B 'd with the reissue, but the reissue exhibits a similar depth of tone and volume of the original, and I'm sure it will develop as it ages. Enjoy it!

Archived