Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo

MorrisrownSal

I played one of those last week at a local Gibson dealer. Didn't get a chance to plug it in, and was talking to the owner about the pickup system, which adds a ton of money to the price of the guitar. Ironically, he had a model without the pickup a few weeks ago and I thought the one without the pickup sounded much better than the one with the system. Wish he would have had both guitars at the same time so I could have really a/b'd them but he had the sold the first one he had received. Both guitars were very nice sounding and playing, I just liked the first one better. I'm not sure about the price difference, but it seems like it was more than $1000 for the pickup. I'm not sure any pickup is worth than much money. If he gets another one without the pickup, I may be very tempted..... :rolleyes:

I bought a Model 1 Jackson Browne, and then bought the TA Amulet and had it installed. Saved about $900 off the Model A which has the factory install. Sounds friggin magnificent plugged in. But, and I say but, it does matter what sound system you plug into - I have a Fishman SA 220 - a "Fishstick" and it sounds OK, sounds better in stereo thru my Fender Acoustisonic, and plugged into a full-blown Mackie PA down at the listening room I got to play in last week, and holy carumba, was that cool.

I just got mine about a month ago, see AGF for pics :P

I got mine without the pickup, seems the pickup is pretty massive ? Maybe I am mis informed ?

I'd love to get the Trance Amulet to see how it sounds plugged in.

If it sounds any where NEAR how it sounds not plugged in ? Well, I think i might have just bought the grail.

This guitar is light weight (without the pickup mind you)

And the response ? Well, not sure how to explain response (i am a fingerstyle player)

But the tonal response of this guitar is PHENOMENAL

I am not one to blow the horn on products and such, but lemme tell ya, the Sheryl Crow Gibson Southern Jumbo may be the IT guitar.

Harmonics101

I just played one about 3 hours ago. Very lively sound... a bit brittle sounding, but the Adi top will soften as it ages. This thing was very loud. I may go back and re-evaluate and take some tradin' stock, jest in case. Beautifully crafted instrument.

RB

Its certainly a nice looking and I'm sure a nice sounding guitar. I've always wanted an SJ. Question though for the experts here in the forum - Other than the bling what are the differences potentally important to the sound between this and a J45TV? The descriptions on Gibson's site seem very similar. They are the same body size and shape? Both are hog / adis (the SJ TV says its sitka). Both say they use AJ bracing. Not that its bad if they are basically the same. Just curious.

Bill

Its certainly a nice looking and I'm sure a nice sounding guitar. I've always wanted an SJ. Question though for the experts here in the forum - Other than the bling what are the differences potentally important to the sound between this and a J45TV? The descriptions on Gibson's site seem very similar. They are the same body size and shape? Both are hog / adis (the SJ TV says its sitka). Both say they use AJ bracing. Not that its bad if they are basically the same. Just curious.

Bill

Generally speaking, the guitars are the same shape and size, and use the same woods. Historically, the SJ supposedly got the best pick of wood, but I don't really see any difference in the wood quality on my SJ and my J-45. I think it's fair to say that the primary difference is in the cosmetic details.

Think something like D-28 compared to D-41, although slightly less exaggerated.

Well this is an interesting question. They theoretically should sound the same, with individual specimen variances.

However after playing many J-45TV's and comparing them to my AL SJ, I found the J-45TVs consistently have a dryer, a bit more woodier tone than my SJ, which I would describe has a more open tone, a bit less dry, a little less woody but very projective.

Listening to the SC SJ sample it reminds me a lot of my AL SJ, it has that open, somewhat 'rockier' tone than the J-45TV.

Just my observation.

Bill

Ok guitar geeks - this from the Gibson web-site:

"This special edition model is enhanced by a 1930s advanced X-bracing pattern made with scalloped spruce braces to attain optimal acoustic resonance. Together these woods and construction techniques provide a blend of depth, clarity, richness and warmth along with the power and projection that made the Southern Jumbo famous."

and this from the info when first released:

"Crow's new Southern Jumbo is built for power and projection with wider X-bracing on the red spruce top. With mahogany back and sides, the combination of wood and pattern bracing gives this SJ a dynamic and responsive tonal range unlike any Southern Jumbo Gibson has built."

So... possible they brought all the alchemy together, and wound up with a better SJ?

Archived