Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-5 or Super 400

kleinman

I am looking to buy (maybe early next year) one of these models (not vintage). What would be a fair price to pay for a pre-owned ?

Anyone here who has one for sale perhaps ?

Thanks.

It depends on condition and finish. By "not vintage", I assume anything from 1975 onwards. I prefer the period from the 1990s onwards when Jim Hutchins was in charge. For an L-5CES with twin pickups, you can expect to pay between $5500 and $6000 for a Sunburst in excellent plus to mint condition. Add a premium of $500 to $1000 for one in Natural with particularly curly maple. For a Wine Red or Ebony L-5CES, $5000 and $5500 would be the ballpark for one in excellent plus to mint condition. You may get lucky and find an owner willing to sell it for about $500 lower than the range I stated sometimes. For anything less than excellent plus, between $4500 and $5000 would be the range for Sunburst.

For a Super 400CES, the range for a Sunburst starts at $6000 and runs to $7000. Add $500 to a $1000 for Natural. A Wine Red Super 400CES starts at $5500 to $6000. Elderly Bros. sold a 1998 Super 400CES Sunburst recently with a listed price tag of $5500. This one had a repaired back center seam which had opened up and a few lacquer checks around the headstock.

For L-5Cs and Super 400Cs, the price tags are $1000 higher for the respective finishes. So you can expect to pay $7500 for an L-5C Natural in Mint condition.

It depends on condition and finish. By "not vintage", I assume anything from 1975 onwards. I prefer the period from the 1990s onwards when Jim Hutchins was in charge. For an L-5CES with twin pickups, you can expect to pay between $5500 and $6000 for a Sunburst in excellent plus to mint condition. Add a premium of $500 to $1000 for one in Natural with particularly curly maple. For a Wine Red or Ebony L-5CES, $5000 and $5500 would be the ballpark for one in excellent plus to mint condition. You may get lucky and find an owner willing to sell it for about $500 lower than the range I stated sometimes. For anything less than excellent plus, between $4500 and $5000 would be the range for Sunburst.

For a Super 400CES, the range for a Sunburst starts at $6000 and runs to $7000. Add $500 to a $1000 for Natural. A Wine Red Super 400CES starts at $5500 to $6000. Elderly Bros. sold a 1998 Super 400CES Sunburst recently with a listed price tag of $5500. This one had a repaired back center seam which had opened up and a few lacquer checks around the headstock.

For L-5Cs and Super 400Cs, the price tags are $1000 higher for the respective finishes. So you can expect to pay $7500 for an L-5C Natural in Mint condition.

Thanks a lot for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

Why not vintage? There are some deals out there. A 1960's L5-C or CES can be had for the same or not much more than a new Custom Shop guitar.

"This is madness." "This is Sparrrttttaaaaa!"

Sure...but normally the vintage guitars on offer are waaay to expensive for my budget. I am looking at no more than say $6500.

Sure...but normally the vintage guitars on offer are waaay to expensive for my budget. I am looking at no more than say $6500.

Here's an example of an interesting one that's $1,000 under your max price:

EH6481.jpg

Go to: http://new.gruhn.com/Inventory.aspx?Cat=eh and look for the 1939 L5N.

The more affordable price is a result of the stupid modification someone did, but a floating DeArmond (or other floating pickup) at the neck could turn this into a real winner.

Here's an example of an interesting one that's $1,000 under your max price:

EH6481.jpg

Go to: http://new.gruhn.com/Inventory.aspx?Cat=eh and look for the 1939 L5N.

The more affordable price is a result of the stupid modification someone did, but a floating DeArmond (or other floating pickup) at the neck could turn this into a real winner.

Wow ! Thanks JimR....What a beauty !

• 1 month later...

If the op is anything like me they don't want a guitar they have to worry about devaluing. Vintage Gibsons are amazing, but I went nuts playing out with a 52 175. That would be greatly compounded with a L5 or Super 440! I've learned to stick with player guitars with a few exceptions;)

If the op is anything like me they don't want a guitar they have to worry about devaluing. Vintage Gibsons are amazing, but I went nuts playing out with a 52 175. That would be greatly compounded with a L5 or Super 440! I've learned to stick with player guitars with a few exceptions;)

Life is too short to play anything but great guitars.

I've done hundreds of gigs with this guitar and it still looks great:

Danny.jpg

This one too:

688aa251.jpg

and this one:

a6cd1386.jpg

Is it possible they'll get damaged? Sure, that's why I have insurance, but I could never see the point in playing beaters and leaving the nice stuff at home.

Danny W.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

March/April arrived early!

Do show so that we may all share in your joy!

What is its vintage?

Thanks Jabberwocky...

Yip...earlier than I initially thought it would. I believe it's an early 70's....will check the ser# once I have it and then post some pics for you guys.

According to Van Hoose, volutes appeared on Super 400's around 1973-74, and were discontinued around 1980-81.

That's a real beauty you've got there! Love the flame on it (I'd say that's exceptional grade maple for that time period).

When I got my first Super 400 back in the mid-80's, it really inspired me and took my playing to a new level. I hope yours will do the same for you, and that you'll enjoy it for a long time. I've had three of them over the years, and didn't manage to keep any of them, but I'll probably always fantasize about getting another one someday.

Not all that rare to see someone rotate a pickup 180 degrees like that. I would probably put it back to the standard position, but if the guitar sounds great the way it is, it's no big deal.

Not all that rare to see someone rotate a pickup 180 degrees like that. I would probably put it back to the standard position, but if the guitar sounds great the way it is, it's no big deal.

Thanks Jim.

I hear that Wes Montgomery had his pup flipped like that and many jazzers followed the example.

Archived