Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-5 or Super 400

kleinman

Beautiful, kleinman. It has the rectangular Norlin label but the finish and flamed maple of a late 1969. I'd daresay it is a cross-over Super 400CES from a 1969 model year being sold in 1970.

I am getting a late 1969 and yours looks exactly like mine, curly maple and all. The 1969 S400CES that I am getting has an oval orange label though.

Beautiful, kleinman. It has the rectangular Norlin label but the finish and flamed maple of a late 1969. I'd daresay it is a cross-over Super 400CES from a 1969 model year being sold in 1970.

I am getting a late 1969 and yours looks exactly like mine, curly maple and all. The 1969 S400CES that I am getting has an oval orange label though.

Thanks Jabberwocky....I also replied to your post on the Jazz Guitar forum (Vic).

Yes I also believe this one was actually built in '69. Its serial # is just a few away from the late 60's numbers. Congrats and all the best with yours !

• 5 months later...

Well guys here she is. Gibson Super 400 CES. Arrived this afternoon from England. The serial number dates her to '70-72 or '74-74. No volute....Question: Does that make her a '70 would you say ?

SAM_0315.jpgSAM_0316.jpg

SAM_0318.jpgSAM_0321.jpg

Oh wow, very nice and congradulations. She's a whopper! [thumbup]

Well guys here she is. Gibson Super 400 CES. Arrived this afternoon from England. The serial number dates her to '70-72 or '74-74. No volute....

Kleinman,

I didn't notice your thread until now ... You did well! Congratulations on your beautiful guitar! You may remember the discussion about my Super 400 CES some time ago, the one with two labels and confusion about the year. Mine looks so exactly like yours that I had to go to my guitar room to make sure it is still there. The flamed pattern on the neck and back, the color of the burst is exactly the same.

How does your S400CES play? Could you describe the sound? What kind of strings do you use?

Hannu

Kleinman,

I didn't notice your thread until now ... You did well! Congratulations on your beautiful guitar! You may remember the discussion about my Super 400 CES some time ago, the one with two labels and confusion about the year. Mine looks so exactly like yours that I had to go to my guitar room to make sure it is still there. The flamed pattern on the neck and back, the color of the burst is exactly the same.

How does your S400CES play? Could you describe the sound? What kind of strings do you use?

Hannu

Hi Hannu.....yes I remember that thread about your guitar very well. Any new news around some of those issues ?

I currently have 12's D'Addarios on there which sounds very good to my ear. My CES plays effortlessly.....the neck is great for fast runs (not that I do that often); it has that deep warm carved archtop tone....very definitely richer than my ES-175's. It must be the nicest sounding Gibson jazz box that I've played so far. Best of all is that it's a very versatile instrument....sounds good for jazz and other genre....even rockabilly !

I'm VERY happy with this S400.

Hi Hannu.....yes I remember that thread about your guitar very well. Any new news around some of those issues ?

I currently have 12's D'Addarios on there which sounds very good to my ear. My CES plays effortlessly.....the neck is great for fast runs (not that I do that often); it has that deep warm carved archtop tone....very definitely richer than my ES-175's. It must be the nicest sounding Gibson jazz box that I've played so far. Best of all is that it's a very versatile instrument....sounds good for jazz and other genre....even rockabilly !

I'm VERY happy with this S400.

It pretty well got concluded that mine is 1973, and the one remaining way to get a little more confirmed is to take the electronics out and see the dates on the pots. I have not bothered to do that, but if there comes a reason to service the pickups or pots then we'll see.

I am glad to hear your CES is working out well. Effortless is a good expression, these guitars are easier to play than one would expect. Yes, the 12's D'Addarios works well, also Pyramids (flat or round) are worth trying. .12's or 13's seem right for this guitar, .11's don't quite get the big body fully vibrating.

There is something very special about the Super 400, the whole playing experience is different from anything else.

Again, enjoy!

Hannu

Archived