Gibson Brands Forums

Meet the new Iphone... Same as the old one

Rabs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here I am even affraid that this iPhone will be too big for my taste.

Where do you guys carry huge phones, purse? baggy clothes? how?

Really? Seriously? dry.gif

My Galaxy SIII has a 4.8 inch screen and fits in my pocket with no problem. The bigger the screen the better. msp_thumbup.gif

Guest Farnsbarns

Really? Seriously? dry.gif

My Galaxy SIII has a 4.8 inch screen and fits in my pocket with no problem. The bigger the screen the better. msp_thumbup.gif

I have to say, I think they're at about the limits of convenient size at 4.7/4.8 inches. Beyond that and most people can't reach across the screen with their thumb which becomes a big usability issue. I have heard the term Phablet banded about when talking about the Galaxy Note and similar huge screen devices. I, and I think most people, need to be able to use their phone with one hand for basic functions.

I have to say, I think they're at about the limits of convenient size at 4.7/4.8 inches. Beyond that and most people can't reach across the screen with their thumb which becomes a big usability issue. I have heard the term Phablet banded about when talking about the Galaxy Note and similar huge screen devices. I, and I think most people, need to be able to use their phone with one hand for basic functions.

I agree and think that 5 inches is probably the max I would go. I like the Galaxy Note II but the 5.5 inch screen is just too much to handle. Not to mention you look pretty silly holding that giant thing up to your ear when talking on the phone.

I'll watch TV on my TV. I don't need a giant screen. Its a phone.

But dang...enjoy your Galaxy SIII...sounds like you are! :)

Then you think of a phone very differently than I do. To me it's far more than just a phone. It's the device that keeps me connected with the world when I'm on the go. The large screen makes it much easier to read web pages and news articles. It also comes in handy for picture viewing and browsing social media. Nowadays, a smartphone does everything internet wise that a computer does. It's not just a phone anymore.

Correct. You need to realize then when spouting your superiority...

It's not my superiority but my phone's. Hardware is hardware. And the hardware in my phone is better than that of the new iPhone. I have trouble understanding why someone would settle with mediocrity, especially for the same price.

It's not my superiority but my phone's. Hardware is hardware. And the hardware in my phone is better than that of the new iPhone. I have trouble understanding why someone would settle with mediocrity, especially for the same price.

You have a lot to learn...its better for YOUR purposes. Not mine.

My old flip phone broke the other day and I went in for a new one. My choice?......another flip phone. I'm not paying 30 bux a month to look at the web and play games on a screen the size of a deck of cards. I can talk and I can text.....all I need from my phone

Guest Farnsbarns

My old flip phone broke the other day and I went in for a new one. My choice?......another flip phone. I'm not paying 30 bux a month to look at the web and play games on a screen the size of a deck of cards. I can talk and I can text.....all I need from my phone

Can't argue with that. I have to have an unlimited everything package due to my usage anyway so why not have the latest and greatest, it's effectively free anyway. This time around my contract is over and due to having been given a phone I have no need to upgrade but I'm sticking with the pricey plan because I need it.

But seriously.

I don't use a smart phone, I use a pay-as-you-go phone, and it works well for us.

I can't figure out how much it costs a month to have one of these smart phone thingies.

Anyone care to give me a range, don't have to tell me yer business, just an approximation as to what it costs a month for onea these things?

Thanks.

rct

But seriously.

I don't use a smart phone, I use a pay-as-you-go phone, and it works well for us.

I can't figure out how much it costs a month to have one of these smart phone thingies.

Anyone care to give me a range, don't have to tell me yer business, just an approximation as to what it costs a month for onea these things?

Thanks.

rct

iPhone plans here on contract, range from 31 USD to 95 USD monthly. The one off cost of the phone from the least expensive plan to the most, is $320 to $500 USD. By comparison a Blackberry plan is 18 USD a month, for limited data, which does not include full browsing.

A full data plan for Blackberry is 36 USD.

For me in the UK, on 02, I pay £15 a month Pay-as-you-go for a Blackberry data plan, 500mb of data and 500 free domestic texts.

I pay 60 bucks a month with my 3GS through AT&T, unlimited text and whatever minutes with rollover (rarely talk on the phone). I get a limited amount of data usage but I hardly ever reach the limit since I don't use my phone much at work and use wifi at home.

Guest Farnsbarns

But seriously.

Thanks.

rct

I'm on T-Mobile and I pay £35/month for unlimited calls, texts and data including non geographic numbers (starting 08 over here) and I get any phone I like for free every 24 months. The cheapest similar deal I know is a network called Three who do it for £25/month if you pay around £50 one off for the phone but, they are renowned for poor reception just about everywhere and terrible CS.

For me, there is another factor. On Android phones the ones supplied by carriers (over here at least) have branded software. Hard to avoid but those enthusiasts with a lot of money by their phones outright and go with a cheaper plan. They're looking at about £500-600.

I pay 60 bucks a month with my 3GS through AT&T, unlimited text and whatever minutes with rollover (rarely talk on the phone). I get a limited amount of data usage but I hardly ever reach the limit since I don't use my phone much at work and use wifi at home.

I might have just found the only thing that's cheaper in the UK than the US. That seems a lot for limited calls and data.

But seriously.

Thanks.

rct

You can still do "pay as you go" with a smart phone in the UK so you simply top up to pay for your texts and calls. Since smartphones have WiFi you can access the internet via your own modem or hub at home, probably at work too and at free hotspots so there's no need to rent data (which you can also buy on a "pay as you go" basis.) With the Android operating system most smart phones have you can download apps, most often for free. It's great fun and I only paid £40 for my provider own brand iPhone copy which I then top up with £10 of credit every couple or three months for calls and texts.

I wish they would make a smaller I phone I'd buy that in a second. I like the apps, like having music with me but hate carrying the damn things. I had a Samsung for two day's and gave it back might as well carry a I-pad. I miss text pagers the Motorola Skywriter was my favorite portable technology of all time, sure the thing looked like a notebook for barbies. but was great it allowed me to be contacted and contact others without the stupidity of e-mail, messaging, cell phones and 400 apps all on a phone.

Archived