Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson contests on FB

Outtagetme

Facebook is there for one reason and one reason only. To gather your personal information and sell it to marketers. That is how they make their profit.

I don't have much information on FB, so if they get mine, they don't get much. But when I went to a couple of contests that are affiliated with FB I read the fine print. If I entered, I would give them permission to my FB friends info as well. This is something I would not do so I did not enter the contest.

If you do enter, read the fine print.

Notes

Until I win one, I'm going to declare that nobody really wins these. So it shouldn't matter if you are not eligble. Now if I ever do actually win one, then I'll demand that you get to play too. Deal?

LOL ok deal! but it depends on what you win...

Actually you're right, Gibson never declared the names of the winners, as far as I know.

I quote myself: strange!

M.

This question has been asked before.

Laws in different country are different. Contest laws are very, very different. That is the main reason.

As for Facebook?

A well-known Italian poet once wrote, "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate."

m

Facebook is there for one reason and one reason only. To gather your personal information and sell it to marketers. That is how they make their profit.

I don't have much information on FB, so if they get mine, they don't get much. But when I went to a couple of contests that are affiliated with FB I read the fine print. If I entered, I would give them permission to my FB friends info as well. This is something I would not do so I did not enter the contest.

If you do enter, read the fine print.

Notes

Well I don't have much information on FB either - actually, I don't mind if they get to know my birthday..

I've read all the notes for the contests (not only Gibson contest), and yes, it seems like they're collecting info (for marketing purposes, I guess) and that's not good. But still, it would be good if I could get to win a Gibson.. I already have one, a 1995 (or was it 1996?can't remember) LP standard, and I'm pretty happy with it (as I am with my Strato) but I would love to get another one, and for free!!

M.

I'm pretty sure the contests are just for people living in the USA... people really do win the contests, Cookieman won 2 Les Pauls signed by Slash a few years back...

nope, actually only a few countries within Europe are not eligible to the contests - it's not only a problem of Italy, but a problem of Portugal and many others European countries as well. That's why I say it's strange - if I lived in Germany, I'm elible, if I live in italy, I'm not..

M.

It might be a matter of where Gibson has physical prescence whether is a plant, office or distrubution center (no dealers as they are not Gibson legally speaking) and the legalities that come with that, like being unable to export a "gift".

Typically you will see 3 contests in Facebook, USA, Canada and the UK/European Union.

As I understand it for instance Gibson has a distribution center in Germany with Customr Support and employees. Because they are "local" it would be easy to gift a guitar in that country and others that have legal reciprocity.

Archived