Gibson Brands Forums

Any advice on keeping nails their best ?

EuroAussie

Since I got into pickin' few months back Ive been experimenting with nail length, shape and filing them to keep em' strong.

It seems to be quite a success as in the beginning they broke easily, but now have had no breaks for a few months. I find the length that seems to work is around 2-3mm of visible nail over the fingertips, looking from the palm point of view.

Anwyay, I wanted to ask if there are any specific tips in keeping nails at their best, in terms of products, lotions etc ..?

btw: Mrs EA thinks Ive turned into a bit of a fairy, especially when we sit on sofa and both file our nails at same time ..

So ... do you feel a bit less of a man having long nails and all the girlie things that need to be done to keep em strong, should I be worried and see a shrink or something ... ? [blink]

I never really measured how long I keep the nails on my right hand. I do not use any lotions, ointments, or whatever. But I guess I am blessed as my nails are like iron. But like ParlourMan I like to play with the fleshy part of my fingers - particularly the thumb - so I keep the nails on my right hand just long enough to hook a string when I want some snap.

For me the one thing that is essential are some really good diamond nail files. They make it easy to keep your nails just where you want them. Man, I hate it when you get a bit of a ragged edge on a nail or two.

Since I got into pickin' few months back Ive been experimenting with nail length, shape and filing them to keep em' strong.

It seems to be quite a success as in the beginning they broke easily, but now have had no breaks for a few months. I find the length that seems to work is around 2-3mm of visible nail over the fingertips, looking from the palm point of view.

Anwyay, I wanted to ask if there are any specific tips in keeping nails at their best, in terms of products, lotions etc ..?

btw: Mrs EA thinks Ive turned into a bit of a fairy, especially when we sit on sofa and both file our nails at same time ..

So ... do you feel a bit less of a man having long nails and all the girlie things that need to be done to keep em strong, should I be worried and see a shrink or something ... ? [blink]

I've had 'nail issues' for most of my life. The way I pick, (with a plectrum) is such that I wear down my index finger nail....just the way it is.

I fingerpick, (the few times I actually fingerpick), with my fingertips, not my nails. The nail on my ring finger of my right hand has a permanent 'split', and I've tried everything

I can think of to fix it, (for a few years I used clean nail polish to try to strengthen it), but that was more hassle than it was worth...now I just clip it short.

My grandmother was a tyrant about biting nails...so I really never did....I do keep my nails short, and filed.

I've had 'nail issues' for most of my life. The way I pick, (with a plectrum) is such that I wear down my index finger nail....just the way it is.

I fingerpick, (the few times I actually fingerpick), with my fingertips, not my nails. The nail on my ring finger of my right hand has a permanent 'split', and I've tried everything

I can think of to fix it, (for a few years I used clean nail polish to try to strengthen it), but that was more hassle than it was worth...now I just clip it short.

My grandmother was a tyrant about biting nails...so I really never did....I do keep my nails short, and filed.

Actually I have a similar problem Rob with the nail on my Index finger, it only grows on one side, which gives it a bit of a hook .. weird ... but luckily the hook is on the side of the nail that I need it be, so it works well, just looks .. odd..

my index fingernail hits the string when i use a plectrum also , i dont use the point of the plectrum but i spin it round and usually hit the strings with the wrong side with the corner at a slight angle ..... if that makes sense :-s

after a gig it can be a bit painful next day , as if i bit it too short

and when picking. i use the fingertips , have a bit of nail on my thumb but not long like a woman :D

Thats interesting some of you guys dont use nails at all and play just with flesh ... then, how do you get the sparkle ?

I found that not using nails and playing just with flesh makes the tone quite flat, althoguh I realise its probably about technique, which I still dont have much of.

To me, nails just make life easier as a novice picker, and allows me to get some more grunt and sparkle from those ol' strings ..

I prefer to use the flesh of my fingers/thumb to play - picking and strumming. I feel awkward holding a pick and as I live in a small house I've always tried to play on the quiet side anyway. I don't like the feel of the strings on my nails either and I feel like I've a bit more control just using the flesh. I suppose my technique doesn't have the same sparkle as others - but it suits me down to the ground.

Yes, of course I am cutting/clipping/cultivating them with a pair of scissors, are you kiddin'. . . . I take care of them as we go – a hard session here and maybe the pointing finger needs a little extra care. A clumsy move while washing dishes or removing bridge pins and uuuuh - the thumb has a problem to the left root, better fetch the file.

Those 4 right nails are seriously important to me – they are tools.

And yep Zomb, the nail-threads sooner or later turn odd hehe he, , , but I for my part can take it. Been through weirder stuff than this, that's for sure. Then again I'm a complete freak, , , at least when I'm in that corner.

Fbm7 , , , hello Danvill, , yeps thats the real monstrous side of me. . .

And my experience with girls is that they will accept it - especially after you deliver them a little serenade.

Archived