Gibson Brands Forums

Post your self made CBG

Elmer

Hi peeps,

This happy camper made a CGB, a Cigar Box Guitar.

An old cigar box, (I think my grand father stored his sigars in it) and a neck from an unknown brand fender imitation (I reformed it)

An old pickup and ...loads of advice, thank you for helping me out with the pup wires!

If I had to start again, I would do a lot of things different, but now at least I know.

Klik the photo to hear and see it. Darn, that looks strange...seeing yourself on a vid, first time for me :)

th_IMG_0136.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Wow, that's the first humidor guitar I've ever seen! Can't comment on the sound coz it's 3am and her indoors is asleep.

Good work though. Looks nice. It's good that you learned a bit because I'm still sending you that cigar box [flapper] . I've over stretched myself this month to the extreme but when I get back to normal I'll have some cash to pay mr postie.

Has a nice sound but you should use a slide if you are going to play a CBG, most often used open tunings for these are A D A, G D G and C G C

Yep, true, but the beginners fault I made is: the strings are to far from eachother. I wanted to devide them equaly over the neck but that is not good. That makes playing with a bottle neck even more difficult than usual. I will make a new nut and bring the strings a little closer to each other(or just adjust this nut).

I tuned this one in D-A-D (Dysneyland Afther Dark), strings are the thick E from a 13'set and the B and other E from that same set. Also there I need to check what is best.

Guest Farnsbarns

That's a really nice sounding CBG. I wonder if another string might help with the spacing. Your neck is wide enough for it.

BTW, that's a crazy accent you've got there. Love it!

That's a really nice sounding CBG. I wonder if another string might help with the spacing. Your neck is wide enough for it.

BTW, that's a crazy accent you've got there. Love it!

lol, my accent...I just speak Englisch with a Belgian accent I guess. I don't try to talk with an American or Irisch, Scottisch or Queen tongue...that would sound stupid I guess.

Anyway. I gonna put a 4th string on it, that is a good idea!

The pup must go a little lower, I don't mean deeper. I mean a little more to the underside.

I reattached the ground and now the irritating grummmgrrmmm is gone.

It gives a great feeling to play with a self made instrument, I think I go to the pup with it this evening and do a surprize gig :)

Guest Farnsbarns

Elmer, I hope you don't take this badly but I've just noticed your bridge is not on top of your cigar box. This means that the box is redundant. It still sounds great. Please don't be offended.

On the positive side, a right angle lead will make the obstructing cable issue much less of an issue.

Elmer, I hope you don't take this badly but I've just noticed your bridge is not on top of your cigar box. This means that the box is redundant. It still sounds great. Please don't be offended.

On the positive side, a right angle lead will make the obstructing cable issue much less of an issue.

not taken as offend at all. I had a neck and I had a box...and the bridge/saddle needed to be placed 18.3 cm from the end of the neck, and instead of placing the neck outside the box, I placed the bridge outside. Afterwards, I thought...stupid :) The next time I do that different. It sounds very soft not amplified, guess that is the reason.

I think I am going to leave this one as it is and do a better job on the next one.

This was my:"I can't wait to build one" piece. Next one is more prepared and I know what I want. But man, if I amplify this one and cranck it up, with crunchy effect...hohohohoho, feedback, the wallpaper scrolls of my wall :)

Feedback is always welcome, that is the way to learn, thanx!

Archived