Gibson Brands Forums

Zeppelin Concert Movie

FirstMeasure

Not trying to sound like a sour puss, but they should just make it a special DVD and air it on VH1 Classic or Palladia (or even HBO!). I've seen clips. The concert wasn't that great. Plant can't sing anymore and Page was so freakin' sloppy and unrehearsed he made Ace Frehley look like a virtuoso (no disrespect to The Ace). Jason was good, as was JPJ. Let's face it, Zep wasn't the greatest live band, even in their heyday.

Putting it in theaters is overkill IMHO. I can see if it was an old Beatles concert brought to life with modern technology, but not for Zep, let alone any other band.

I agree this geezer show is a bit off, I've seen the bootleg. But they get through it a decent manner and Page throws some interesting licks around here and there.

Would really like to see this, so when they decide to make it a blue-ray my money will be as easy as a 70s groupie.

But from what I've seen and heard of the old times, Zep was fantastic live. Especially the first couple of years.

(I saw a clip from a recent Rolling Stones geezer show, seeing such gorgeous old instruments abused by those fumbling old baboons nearly made me cry).

Not trying to sound like a sour puss, but they should just make it a special DVD and air it on VH1 Classic or Palladia (or even HBO!). I've seen clips. The concert wasn't that great. Plant can't sing anymore and Page was so freakin' sloppy and unrehearsed he made Ace Frehley look like a virtuoso (no disrespect to The Ace). Jason was good, as was JPJ. Let's face it, Zep wasn't the greatest live band, even in their heyday.

Putting it in theaters is overkill IMHO. I can see if it was an old Beatles concert brought to life with modern technology, but not for Zep, let alone any other band.

They know there's enough Zep Fans to make a theatrical release worth it. Besides, it fits in with the "Song Remains the Same" and "It Might get Loud" movies.

The DVD is coing out soon, they are simply showing it in theater because a lot of folks like that.

Truth is that gig was more of a historical event than anything else,

Nothing wrong with aging but unlike the Rolling Stones Led Zeppeling knew when to quit.

... they sell Yazoo beer so that makes up for it.

I was in Nashville in 2010 and got to tour their old brewery just before they moved. Man, they make some tasty beers. That Yazoo pint glass is one of my favorite souvenirs.

They know there's enough Zep Fans to make a theatrical release worth it. Besides, it fits in with the "Song Remains the Same" and "It Might get Loud" movies.

It's different nowadays. I don't think "It Might Get Loud" should have been released in theaters either. HBO is enough.

Back in 1976, it was practical. Not so much anymore.

And I know of a few Zeppelin tribute bands that actually sound closer to the original albums than Zep ever did live. Page and Plant were always going off, and it drove Bonzo and JPJ nuts. They were great live the first two years (up until around 1970), but after that, all they really did was jam for 4 hours and got paid to do it for large audiences. Some people like that, most people don't. I don't wanna hear/see Jimmy space out for 4 hours, I wanna hear/see a great rock performance with my favorite Zep songs.

Yeah, Rush played 20 minute epics too, but at least they had their act together. Zep could compete with the Grateful Dead....

It's different nowadays. I don't think "It Might Get Loud" should have been released in theaters either. HBO is enough.

Back in 1976, it was practical. Not so much anymore.

And I know of a few Zeppelin tribute bands that actually sound closer to the original albums than Zep ever did live. Page and Plant were always going off, and it drove Bonzo and JPJ nuts. They were great live the first two years (up until around 1970), but after that, all they really did was jam for 4 hours and got paid to do it for large audiences. Some people like that, most people don't. I don't wanna hear/see Jimmy space out for 4 hours, I wanna hear/see a great rock performance with my favorite Zep songs.

Yeah, Rush played 20 minute epics too, but at least they had their act together. Zep could compete with the Grateful Dead....

It's not about sounding like they did on record in the 70's. It's about seeing these masters make music while they're still alive, and you obviously never saw the Dead on a good night.

You're certainly not going to get a Rush like experience from Zep or any other improv act. Nor will you get any decent Improv from a Rush concert. It's like being disappointing in Chocolate Bar because it's not a Rum Soaked Cherry. And I'm pretty sure the makers of "It Might Get Loud" are more than happy with their movie ticket sales. Think about how much Titanic or Avatar costs to make, now think about how much a couple cameras and a cast of three guitar players cost to make. They can have a pretty dismal reaction and still make bank.

Same with this Zep concert. It's already filmed, they made more than enough profit from the original show, all they have to do is get it in a few theaters and their profit margin grows with absolutely no fear of losing money. Win Win for Zep. And I for one, will be in line to see this at the best theater I can drive to. I was only four when Song Remains The Same came out, so I sorta missed it. This will make up for that a little bit.

Archived