Gibson Brands Forums

19 ? Kalamazoo

volleybud

Was wondering if anyone had any info on the age of a kalamazoo guitar my dad bought many moons ago. It has 173A stamped on the inside bottom of the neck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bud

According to Spann's Guide to Gibson, 173 A would indicate 1935. Maybe some other members can chime in as to the accuracy of that statement.

As a forum rule, I must ask to see some pictures. So let's see them! Cheers!

I have a Kalamazoo KG-11....partial pic in my avatar....I think they were made between 1930 and 1940. Mine has no serial number or any number. But interestingly you can tell the approx year by the size of the sunburst. The early ones have a very small patch of burst and each year the burst gets larger! Is yours a sunburst?

If it is a flattop (not sure about the archtops), one way of narrowing it down is the headstock shape - whether it is flat on the top (which is what you would find on a 1935 Kalamazoo)or has the peak which you see on later guitars.

I agree though - you can't post something like this and not include a pic or two. It just ain't proper.

Yes! Another KG-11 owner. I guess it would be 1935. I bought my ebay because I read they are cheap as far as pre-war guitars go, but I ended up spending some on it....neckset, new frets, new saddle, new tuners....but I believe it paid off because the guitar seems to sound better and better the more I play it and it already had a nice tone. Check out this hollow sound I get in open tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7qt47pCsI

Bill

Archived