Gibson Brands Forums

The greatest ever drummer

AlanH

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but Neil Peart trying to play swing/big band is some of the most tasteless drumming. He just doesn't get it; doesn't have the feel for it. Please note that I am not taking anything away from his amazing rock drumming.

I never really liked the drummer oriented swing bands. The ones where the drummer is the main attraction.

It goes against the grain of how a swing band is supposed to sound, IMO. Plus, playing loud and hard just doesn't work in swing music.

The guys are great, but rock and roll is much better music for loud and hard drummers.

I never really liked the drummer oriented swing bands. The ones where the drummer is the main attraction.

It goes against the grain of how a swing band is supposed to sound, IMO. Plus, playing loud and hard just doesn't work in swing music.

The guys are great, but rock and roll is much better music for loud and hard drummers.

I don't know about that. I'm a rock and metal fan through and through but those swing and jazz orchestras sound pretty 'big' to me. Maybe the 'stadium rock' of their day, perhaps?

Personally, I like the Big Band/Drum Centered music. It puts me in a mood that no other music can. Makes me wish I'd been able to see those performances live back in the day. Morello, Rich, Bellson; all of those cats had something special in their own right. Let's not forget Gene Krupa. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...
1347635295[/url]' post='1255189']

That is just sick. And so musical. The portion where he pulls back and starts doing paradiddles on the rims? I almost ran home to throw my sticks in the trash.

Louie was a monster, I attended a clinic he did once, he warmed up by doing 5 note rolls on the basses with his feet. He was doing paradiddles on his pedals as fast as he did them with his feet. He said that drummers should be able to do anything with their feet that they do with their hands.

1347639982[/url]' post='1255250']

Loud is easy, use a microphone and a mixer, dynamics is the key to being a great drummer and is fundamental to Jazz or Big Band, which is why almost every drummer that is worth their sticks admire Big Band and Jazz drummers, few non drummers get that. No offense intended, it is just that drummers have a habit so studying each others technic with dynamics in mind, volume is a function of technic, but only a small part of it. Jazz and Big Band guys tend to have the whole package, or at least display more sides of their dynamic ability in the style of music, it is the most liberating style of music for percussionist as they are more then a anchor.

As far as rock drumming goes,there aren't many who could ever hold a candle to Keith Moon,he was definitely the most energetic drummer of all time if nothing else.Not only did Moony have incredible energy but he kept up his energy to a constant full-on level from the first song of a Who concert to the last note of the encore.To add to his drumming prowess he hardly did the same beats over and over again but kept changing it up constantly so that the audience and he didn't get bored.Basically-thanks to Moony- every Who concert was an unending drum solo done with the utmost of virtuosity.

As for jazz and big band drummers Gene Krupa gets my vote for the absolute epitome of great drumming.A lot of other drummers from his era and since have also acknowledged that Krupa was the creme de la creme.There is a great B&W movie form the 50s or early 60s about Gene Krupa that stars Sal Mineo-who proves to be a pretty decent drummer in his own right-I believe that it's simply called Krupa but I may be way off on that as it's been years since I saw it last but it gives a great look into his-at times-tragic life.

Archived