Gibson Brands Forums

Dove N 50th Ann.

JuanCarlosVejar

man this is really beautiful :

DOVEN.jpg

from the gibson acoustic facebook :

Meet the newest 'bird in town, the 50th Anniversary Dove 'N'. Just as she was in 1963, with a premium Sitka spruce top, hand-selected flame maple back and sides finished with a custom aged 1960s orange-tint gloss finish, an exact replica narrow neck with 1.552" nut, handmade dark tortise dove pickguard, replica 1960s keystone Grover tuners, rosewood fingerboard and dove bridge, '60s bell truss cover. Limited to 100 globally. —

JC

Cool looking guitar. The orange color is a bit too bright for me, but the colors in a pic can be deceiving. Either way, I've always liked the Dove. [thumbup]

Larry ,

the guys at Fuller's said this is a slighty cheaper version of the original 50th Anniversary Dove N presented in January by Robi Johns at NAMM .

that one was limited to 50 pieces and the price was pretty high . the price for one of these newer versions is MAP $3998

really great price . wish I could do it but I already got the SJ 200 1930's edition and they are currently building an Elvis COstello Century Of Progress for me.

JC

Nice, but a bit too red for me.

JC, your GAS seems to be taking over your life these days!

I'm trying to get mine under control, at least for now. I've run out of space in my office, and the garage is full of empty guitar boxes and some with spare cases in them.

Someone help me, please! (and I don't mean by taking these "spare" guitars off my hands)

I like the Dove and find it an amazing guitar. What a good and obvious idea to make a cross between the newly born Hummingbird and the old grand J-200 back then – in 1962 it was.

Wonder why this one has the narrow width – is that loyal the original, , , and what is that color on white label seen in pic 1 ??

Last, notice the guard color combination - did it start out that way and only later turned to red/green. . .

Cool looking guitar. The orange color is a bit too bright for me, but the colors in a pic can be deceiving. Either way, I've always liked the Dove. [thumbup]

I posted on the Gibson site that the guitar would be better with gold hardware and natural maple back 'n sides!

JC, your GAS seems to be taking over your life these days!

I'm trying to get mine under control, at least for now. I've run out of space in my office, and the garage is full of empty guitar boxes and some with spare cases in them.

Someone help me, please! (and I don't mean by taking these "spare" guitars off my hands)

Nick ,

It just seems that way because the guitars take so long to build :).

I mean the Original Jumbo took forever so did this 1930's SJ 200.

but that's it for this year ... just waiting on the Elvis Costello and that's it for a while .

I sold the J 35 to Bob so I could place an order for a GRetsch Triple Jet made by Randy Parsons .

He has made guitars for Jack White , Jimmy Page and Sammy Haggar. His prices are reasonable

I'm sure you had a momment in your life where you purchased a guitar because you knew it was a once if a life time chance .

and that is why I got the Gretsch (6 months build time) and the 1930's SJ 200 .

And I await your next purchase also :)

JC

While I have very little experience with Doves, a nut that skinny on a '63 Gibson? I would have thought the width be more like 1.69.

If it has that skimpy a nut that I would not even consider that guitar.

ZW ,

I think the nut with was an Artist influnced feauture but not sure because these new versions are based on the one Robi Johns presented in this video at around 4:30

JC

While I have very little experience with Doves, a nut that skinny on a '63 Gibson? I would have thought the width be more like 1.69.

If it has that skimpy a nut though, despite its good looks, I would not even consider that guitar.

I find that listed nut width a little confusing. The narrow-nut Gibsons of the 60's were generally 1 9/16", or 1.5625", but I thought those more typically started in 1964 or 1965. Most of the Gibson acoustics I have checked from the mid-50's through 1963 were about 1 11/16", or roughly the 1.69 you quote. The Michael Collins 1957 J-45 plans show a nut width of 1.69" at that time.

I'm not quite sure when the "narrowing" trend started, but I think it must have been right around 1950. My '47 L-7 has a nut width of just under 1.72", but I know that others I have measured from the early post-war period are more like 1.69". I carry a little steel 6" (150mm") rule around with me to vintage guitar shows just for checking this, as I'm trying to pin this down a bit more.

I now have Gibson acoustics with a fairly wide variety of nut widths ( from 1.56" through 1.78"). They do feel quite different from each other when you play them, but a lot of that is the variation in neck profiles. I wouldn't recommend the narrow nut for a finger-picking guitar, but I find it quite good for strumming and non-bluegrass flat picking. For the record, I have average to slightly larger than average hands, with fairly long, thin fingers.

At the same time, I've seen sausage-fingered guitarists playing narrow-nut guitars, both acoustic and electric. I think it's all about what you are used to. If you otherwise love the guitar, you can adapt to the nut width. Right now, I'm struggling to learn to wrap my hand around the very wide neck of my 1943 SJ re-issue for fretting bass notes on the 6th string. That guitar has a seriously wide neck all around, but it doesn't hold a candle to the typical classical guitar.

And, by the way, I remember those 60's red Gibsons like the dove and other birds as being VERY red when they were new.

I have the feeling f.x. J-45's moved back and forth between widths since the 50's whereas the squares – which were introduced with the H-bird in 1960 – had the 1 11/16 until 1965 where they went narrow, only to return to 11/16 in 1968.

Something tells me the width above isn't original – not so sure about the guard colors.

And talking colors, I tend to like the tomato-soup better than the steep cherry of the originals. In my opinion that color fits electric guitars better.

But who am I to go contra on a classic.

And talking colors, I tend to like the tomato-soup better than the steep cherry of the originals. In my opinion that color fits electric guitars better.

I think that's the best description of the colors I've ever heard.... Tomato(e)-soup red vs. Steep Cherry red! (I can't help but add the "(e)" at the end of tomato).

Archived