Gibson Brands Forums

Your favourite vintage tuners?

flameburst

What are your favourite vintage tuners? I never thought I could be so enamoured by certain tuners!!!

Tastes change... for years I always loved the look and feel of the pre-1960's Grover Rotomatics, Grover Imperials and small pearloid/celluloid buttoned Kluson Sealfast tuners from the late 1940's to late 1950's before they switched to the all metal variety.

Recently however, I completely lucked out on TWO complete sets (bushings and screws included) of those amazing solid brass/gold plated Pre-War Kluson Sealfasts with the large amber coloured catalin buttons. They turn so beautifully and the engineering is sublime. I had two instruments that were desperate for these tuners so I was incredibly chuffed to get hold of two sets over the course of a few months! ;-)

I think Kluson only made these for a few years between 1938-1941 but I may be wrong. Anyway they are incredibly rare.

One set I got from a trader a few months ago on eBay who I had bought stuff from before. I made him a silly offer (not the silliest offer he received, but he went with me as I had bought from him before). Perfect for my 1940 L5-P which had later 1940's sealfasts installed.

The other set came to me as part of a trade. Clean as a whistle for 70 years old!

Here is an example of these tuners from Archtop.com:

http://www.archtop.com/ac_39L5p.html

This second set are now on another worthy guitar candidate - a pre-war Super 400. This guitar previously had a set of slightly later Kluson Sealfasts on it. The fit was simple with no mods necessary. Result! The big buttons work really well and look great on the oversized headstock.

To discover how wonderful these tuners are has been a bit of a revelation for me. My favourites by far.

Would like to hear any 'tuner revelations' from others here.

fb.

Wow, you sure have some good trading partners, fb. :) Great find(s). I've always been attracted to those catalin buttons, but I've never owned a set of those tuners (or even seen them in person). Photos of that Super 400 headstock, please! [thumbup]

I've always liked Rotomatics too. I have them on my '62 Epi Sheraton. I guess I have somewhat mixed feelings about Grover Imperials, which I've had on a few guitars. Sometimes they don't stay tight (I think I read that Chet Atkins had this problem, which is why he changed the stock tuners on his Country Gent).

Hi Jim, I'm trying to upload some pics on photobucket but I think there are some problems with their site today. Really frustrating. Will keep trying.

Yes, I do feel lucky to have found two complete sets. I know what you're saying about the Grover Imperials. Usually I find a bit of a screw tighten helps them a bit. Also the slightly later, narrower post versions seem to keep better tune.

Gorgeous Sheraton btw. There's a really nice '62 Sheraton like yours for sale in the UK - I keep eyeing it up!

http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Epiphone/Electric-guitars/item/6779

Wow, you sure have some good trading partners, fb. :) Great find(s). I've always been attracted to those catalin buttons, but I've never owned a set of those tuners (or even seen them in person). Photos of that Super 400 headstock, please! [thumbup]

I've always liked Rotomatics too. I have them on my '62 Epi Sheraton. I guess I have somewhat mixed feelings about Grover Imperials, which I've had on a few guitars. Sometimes they don't stay tight (I think I read that Chet Atkins had this problem, which is why he changed the stock tuners on his Country Gent).

fb, I sent you a PM.

Thanks Jim - responded. Great to hear from you.

Finally got Photobucket to behave...

Here's some iPad snaps of the 1936 Super 400 with the catalin Kluson Sealfasts:

s400_sealfasts_01.jpg

s400_sealfasts_02.jpg

s400_sealfasts_03.jpg

s400_sealfasts_04.jpg

And a couple of the 1940 L5-P with her newly acquired set:

L5-P_catalin_sf_01.jpg

L5-P_catalin_sf_02.jpg

Thanks Jim - responded. Great to hear from you.

Finally got Photobucket to behave...

Here's some iPad snaps of the 1936 Super 400 with the catalin Kluson Sealfasts:

s400_sealfasts_01.jpg

s400_sealfasts_02.jpg

s400_sealfasts_03.jpg

s400_sealfasts_04.jpg

And a couple of the 1940 L5-P with her newly acquired set:

L5-P_catalin_sf_01.jpg

L5-P_catalin_sf_02.jpg

Marvleous stuff, fb. It was well worth the wait! [thumbup]

I'll drop you an e-mail. :)

• 2 weeks later...