Gibson Brands Forums

Billie Joe Armstron - "Bon Jovi are the worst band we've ever toured with"

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Actually, Green Day is the worst band Green Day has ever toured with.

Ha ha! Brilliant.

I have to say, I've gone off Green Day having been quite a fan as a younger man but the reason I've gone off them is that BJA learned to play and now insists on playing melodic leads over the punk, which has become jaded pop punk over the years anyway, and ruined the raw feel.

I never got the fiery loathing of Green Day on this board. Are they my favorite band? Far from it, but American Idiot is a pretty good rock record.

And Bon Jovi? Even if you like them it's something you should never admit to in public.

I never got the fiery loathing of Green Day on this board. Are they my favorite band? Far from it, but American Idiot is a pretty good rock record.

And Bon Jovi? Even if you like them it's something you should never admit to in public.

Dookie was alright, but I'm definitely not a fan.

You're absolutely right about Bon Jovi though....They were like the Nickelback of the 80s....(or vise versa)....

No offense to people who like Bon Jovi or Nickelback....

Agreed on both counts. My MOM likes Bon Jovi.

At least Jon Bon doesn't try to keep up with what's trendy to make money. He knew when to quit. Green Day keeps running themselves lower into the ground, eventually, they'll scrap through the ceiling of hell and play music to torture countless victims. I'm serious when I say Green Day is absolute trash. One of the reasons I hate them is for hurting a small, yet important part of the legacy of The Ramones. They did the cameo band appearance on The Simpsons first, literally 2 of the greatest things ever combined, like the chocolate covered pretzel of TV. Then, in 2007, Green Day ****ed that up by ruining a perfectly good movie. I'm glad their boat sank in the movie, if only that would happen in real life.

At least Jon Bon doesn't try to keep up with what's trendy to make money. He knew when to quit. Green Day keeps running themselves lower into the ground, eventually, they'll scrap through the ceiling of hell and play music to torture countless victims. I'm serious when I say Green Day is absolute trash. One of the reasons I hate them is for hurting a small, yet important part of the legacy of The Ramones. They did the cameo band appearance on The Simpsons first, literally 2 of the greatest things ever combined, like the chocolate covered pretzel of TV. Then, in 2007, Green Day ****ed that up by ruining a perfectly good movie. I'm glad their boat sank in the movie, if only that would happen in real life.

And Moe hit Tre' in the nuts with a rock!

Well, Bon Jovi tried country rock a few years ago.....

And, technically, he was trying to keep up with the trends in the 80s....C'mon!

And Moe hit Tre' in the nuts with a rock!

Well, Bon Jovi tried country rock a few years ago.....

And, technically, he was trying to keep up with the trends in the 80s....C'mon!

I don't really consider Have A Nice Day to be country rock, more or less toned down hair metal, like most of the washed up bands did in the early 00s. I'm glad he moved on to selling perfumes, though. They do actually smell nice.

Everybody was locked in a shitstorm called hair metal. Now rock n roll is in a down turn and they're just bleeding it dry.

Guest Farnsbarns

I think, regardless of your opinion of either bands, it's just bad taste for one artist to throw that kind of insult to another. Remember, you never know when you're going to be an opening act again. [flapper]

Well said!

I don't really consider Have A Nice Day to be country rock, more or less toned down hair metal, like most of the washed up bands did in the early 00s. I'm glad he moved on to selling perfumes, though. They do actually smell nice.

Everybody was locked in a shitstorm called hair metal. Now rock n roll is in a down turn and they're just bleeding it dry.

Still, I think their newer stuff is just as watered-down as their classic stuff. Have A Nice Day fits with modern rock: it's WATERED DOWN! Who are they trying to impress? The people that haven't moved on from 1987 or the Nickelback crowd? Or both? Either way, I think I'll snort some better blow.....

The hair scene was alright in the beginning, but it became a shitstorm over a couple years. Early Motley Crue is awesome, and I love Quiet Riot, Ratt, and Dokken. But Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger, Slaughter and the rest of em' can find someone else to try and impress. It didn't work on me.

When famous musicians start doing colognes and perfumes, it turns me off. Jon Bon Jovi and Gene Simmons do just that. It sucks. Why can't they market their own booze like AC/DC, Slayer, and Motorhead? Or coffee like Styx and Aerosmith? Ah, that's kind of lame too. But I guess Gene has his own brewery now or something...Something beer related...

Pretty stupid for a guy that claims to be a teetotaler....

I'm probably going to get stoned for this but...

Personally, I love every record that Green Day has come out with...but I don't support what Armstrong said about Bon Jovi.

Green Day's remarks were disrespectful. With that said, that's kind of what they aim for (to piss people off or offend someone). No they are not a punk rock band, but they've always seemed to keep that mentality that they are (at least on the inside). Maybe that's what they were trying to do. They take pleasure in pissing off the public. Remember how they got slammed at first for releasing the song "American Idiot"?

In my opinion though, even though I don't like Bon Jovi, I still don't think that was necessarily called for. If I was in a position like Billie Joe Armstrong, a public figure, I wouldn't slam another band or act. Not even Justin Bieber. Simply because it's can backlash and bite him in the butt. But Green Day doesn't care about that. They remain (somewhat) true to their punk roots with their "I don't care" attitude (even though they are clearly not a Punk Rock band).

Anyways, it really doesn't matter to me what was said. I'm still gonna listen to them and buy the new record(s) when they come out.

I hope I don't get burned for supporting Green Day haha

I'd want to know the whole story? who knows why BJA said that maybe Bon Jovi was a total pratt to be on tour with, Ive heard other bands say similar things. He might not have been talking about the music at all.

I have been around major artist that are nice and down to earth people and then Ive been around others who are total jerks just because they think they should be or can be. Bon Jovi might have earned that comment and much worse. I met Phil Collins once and even though I love his music I thought he was a twit, he was pissed off because we didn't know who he was? I didn't have a clue? who knew he was about 5 foot tall at 6'4" all I saw was the top of his head.

I'd want to know the whole story? who knows why BJA said that maybe Bon Jovi was a total pratt to be on tour with, Ive heard other bands say similar things. He might not have been talking about the music at all.

I have been around major artist that are nice and down to earth people and then Ive been around others who are total jerks just because they think they should be or can be. Bon Jovi might have earned that comment and much worse. I met Phil Collins once and even though I love his music I thought he was a twit, he was pissed off because we didn't know who he was? I didn't have a clue? who knew he was about 5 foot tall at 6'4" all I saw was the top of his head.

Retrosurfer, you very well could be right.

I've heard everyone involved with Bon Jovi can be very rude if they want to be...Maybe they were being Prima Donna's back stage and it just got annoying for BJA. Who knows? Maybe they'll release that information one of these days.

I appreciate the Musicians in Bon Jovi. As far as their songs go, can't say I've heard much good since they cut their hair. Stuff like "Living on a Prayer" and "You Give Love a Bad Name" are classics, regardless of whether you like them or not. I like Sambora's playing, and that's enough for me.

I appreciate the Musicians in Bon Jovi. As far as their songs go, can't say I've heard much good since they cut their hair. Stuff like "Living on a Prayer" and "You Give Love a Bad Name" are classics, regardless of whether you like them or not. I like Sambora's playing, and that's enough for me.

I do have to admit that I do enjoy both of those songs. Other than that I don't really care for them.

I still think it was a little harsh for Green Day to say that publically though.

When I was abotu 11 years old I sort of hung out with the Bon Jovi guys on accident.

They were staying at a hotel in Guadalajara. They came to the bar where my mom was hanging out with her friends.

I was the only child at the bar and my mom's friends and her were doing their thing at a table way over there.

I always sat at the bar alone drinking cherry coke and watcing tv when mom had these outings.

At some point, these long haired, odd dressed guys showed up. One caught me looking at him and smiled at me.

I smiled but looked away all shy. I was embarased to be wearing an ugly dress mom MADE me wear.

I wished I was wearing jeans. They looked cooler than regular people. They looked like something from a movie. They looked tired.

They all sat at the bar not far from me, they were not loud or obnoxious or anything. We waved a few times.

The bar tender asked me at some point if I liked Bon Jovi, I shruged because I didn't know what he was talking about.

Mom told me on the ride home who they were.

There is nothing wrong with boy bands or pop icons. They are people with jobs. They are not artists. The job is harder than some and easier than others, better and worse paid. They're just regular people.

Green Day's Dookie was cool, other than that, meh...I would rather listen to The Distillers or The Jam.

Archived