Gibson Brands Forums

Billie Joe Armstron - "Bon Jovi are the worst band we've ever toured with"

Guest Farnsbarns

When I was abotu 11 years old I sort of hung out with the Bon Jovi guys on accident.

They were staying at a hotel in Guadalajara. They came to the bar where my mom was hanging out with her friends.

I was the only child at the bar and my mom's friends and her were doing their thing at a table way over there.

I always sat at the bar alone drinking cherry coke and watcing tv when mom had these outings.

At some point, these long haired, odd dressed guys showed up. One caught me looking at him and smiled at me.

I smiled but looked away all shy. I was embarased to be wearing an ugly dress mom MADE me wear.

I wished I was wearing jeans. They looked cooler than regular people. They looked like something from a movie. They looked tired.

They all sat at the bar not far from me, they were not loud or obnoxious or anything. We waved a few times.

The bar tender asked me at some point if I liked Bon Jovi, I shruged because I didn't know what he was talking about.

Mom told me on the ride home who they were.

There is nothing wrong with boy bands or pop icons. They are people with jobs. They are not artists. The job is harder than some and easier than others, better and worse paid. They're just regular people.

Green Day's Dookie was cool, other than that, meh...I would rather listen to The Distillers or The Jam.

As musicians, Bon Jovi are talented at what they do. But personally, I don't really care much for their music (besides You Give Love A Bad Name and Living On A Prayer. Those are just damn good songs). But they're still a good band (you have to be to be on a major label and sell millions of copies). They're just not my style.

And you're right, there's nothing wrong with boy bands or pop stars. If that's the kind of music they want to make, then I say go for it. Some of them however are a little stuck up (Justin Bieber is a prime example, especially how he treats his own mother). Bon Jovi, I don't know how they act off stage. I've heard they were Prima Donna's and I've heard they're cool and will just chill out. I've never personally met them so I couldn't give you an opinion on that. But at the end of the day everybody from 98 Degrees to Brittney Spears are all regular people, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else. The only difference is that they can afford to have servants pick them up and place their pants on for them haha.

Maybe Green Day had a bad experience with them, thought they were bad on stage, or are just trying to get publicity. I met them a few years ago (after American Idiot had just hit stores) and they were all pretty cool...and crazy (probably should be institutionalized). When I spoke to them they were very friendly and a different persona then what most "rock stars" get credit for (though I've heard they trashed a few hotel rooms in their time). But my point is, to me at least they were genuinely nice guys. So I'm not sure what the beef is between them an Bon Jovi.

Oh well...it's one of those things that we'll probably never hear the answer to.

I bet there is more to the story. I remember a BIG falling out a few years ago between 2 country/southen rock artists. Turns out, it all hinged on a situation where Artist One wouldn't leave the stage at the end of his appointed time and after several discussions about it, Artist Two walked onstage and unplugged Artist One's amp.

Just saying, I bet someone made someone else mad on the tour. Probably over something trivial. The biggest fights usually are.

I bet there is more to the story. I remember a BIG falling out a few years ago between 2 country/southen rock artists. Turns out, it all hinged on a situation where Artist One wouldn't leave the stage at the end of his appointed time and after several discussions about it, Artist Two walked onstage and unplugged Artist One's amp.

Just saying, I bet someone made someone else mad on the tour. Probably over something trivial. The biggest fights usually are.

I got a good one....

On KISS's first real tour back in 74' (for the first album), they were supporting Argent. Now, going on after KISS isn't fun no matter how much better your music is (unless you're in a bigger band....or RUSH!), but the crowd kept wanting more and more from KISS. All they were allowed was 8 songs. They played more, so one of Argent's crew guys shut their power off! As it turns out, J.R. Smalling (who announced the band at the beginning of their shows. You can hear him on Alive!) locked the "perp" in an anvil case the next night, so KISS played on.

Archived