Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard bracket, 1920 L-3

FiddlinJim

Hey guys, I've got a restored 1920 L-3 archtop. The pickguard is in pretty good shape, but the side bracket (mandolin-style cam-mechanism) broke off at the top just below where the screws are. Anybody have one laying in a parts box they can let go? BTW, I just got a replacement bridge from "hooker77" on eBay, and it's just the ticket!

Jim

• 1 month later...

These are awful hard to come by, and people always want an arm and a leg for them! I have an L-1 myself that never came with a pickguard. I don't want to drill into the body, so I have been thinking of trying to make my own cam clamp with two les paul style brackets, one inverted upside-down. Maybe you can jerry-rig a les paul pickguard bracket to your cam clamp somehow? Maybe glue and solder it back together, and then solder the bracket to that to reinforce it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Shoot... good luck with that! I'm restoring a 1914 L-1 with the pick guard and it's missing the cam mechanism only! I can't find a whole one let alone 1/2 of one!!! I've called everyone I know in the business and no one has them, and those that do will not part with them - and people want serious $$$$ for a 10 cent piece of metal! Crazy.

Bottom line - you best find it before I do.... finder's keeper's B)

Archived