Gibson Brands Forums

The cost of refretting and what kind of frets?

Buxom

I'm just wondering about the cost to refret a vintage guitar. (the one I just got)

I'm hoping some people could tell me the most durable frets to get as well.

To start:

It has a rosewood fretboard.

It has binding on the fretboard.

It's 21 frets.

It's a short scale, I believe similar to that of a Gibson.

The neck is similar to that of a baseball bat.

With all of this info, could someone give me an estimate?

Ouch, refretting costs about $280 at a proper shop with a reputation,

I had a guy that used to do it for $100 and did a fine job but he is in prison and unfortunatley I am not kidding.

You are better of buying a new neck or finding somebody that does it as a hobby and does not charge too much.

Guest Farnsbarns

nevermind the necks. They're all in far worse shape than the one I have. They also cost more than the whole guitar.

Does the neck binding have "knibs" over the fret ends? If so, you're probably going to find that it wont after the refret.

I was quoted £90 to refret an Epi SG in about 2001/2, not worth it at the time but since it's an early 90's MIK it may now be worth doing in terms of value but still a push. I would think that comes out at nearer £150 in today's money.

Guest Farnsbarns

What do you mean by "knibs"???? Describe it.

Look at your Gibson's fret ends/neck binding. The binding covers the ends of the frets and is filed away between them. When re-fretting a Gibson it is common practice to remove the nibs and file the fret ends smooth like on a cheaper guitar as it is all but impossible to get a nice, no-gap alignment by pre-cutting the frets and inserting them between the old nibs.

Note: I just learned that I have been spelling nibs wrong (Knibs) for ever unless Google Chrome's spell check is wrong.

Look at your Gibson's fret ends/neck binding. The binding covers the ends of the frets and is filed away between them. When re-fretting a Gibson it is common practice to remove the nibs and file the fret ends smooth like on a cheaper guitar as it is all but impossible to get a nice, no-gap alignment by pre-cutting the frets and inserting them between the old nibs.

Note: I just learned that I have been spelling nibs wrong (Knibs) for ever unless Google Chrome's spell check is wrong.

I just said the neck is similar to that of a Gibson in scale. Sorry for my syntax error.

Guest Farnsbarns

I just said the neck is similar to that of a Gibson in scale. Sorry for my syntax error.

No no, I was asking a literal question because you said it had neck binding I was just wondering if it did or didn't have knibs just because it is a consideration when looking at a refret. I guess I can take this as a no. That's one less thing to think about [thumbup] .

The local small store near myself charges £60 for a set up with fret dress; £120 for a refret (incl the set up/dress); and £180 for a bound neck refret (incl set up/dress.)

The knibs, a less slick feel and the extra cost of re-fretting with a bound neck are the reasons why I prefer a guitar without neck binding.

I know someone that's just had stainless frets. He loves them. There are video's on You tube about different frets. There's a video of Thin Lizzy about how they change the frets on new guitars for fat ones. I like taller frets. Perhaps you should go to a shop and try different guitars for the feel.

I know someone that's just had stainless frets. He loves them. There are video's on You tube about different frets. There's a video of Thin Lizzy about how they change the frets on new guitars for fat ones. I like taller frets. Perhaps you should go to a shop and try different guitars for the feel.

I've played plenty of guitars. I like taller frets as well. I was looking into the tall/skinny frets. They have the height of jumbo, yet the width of vintage frets.

Archived