Gibson Brands Forums

Sj--45 Centennial+Natural +How Rare are These ??

Dennis D near Milwaukee

I just spotted the first mid-'90's SJ-45 Centennial I've ever seen with natural color, rather than sunburst. It of course has those picture-frame inlays -- the same as those in my 30's L-7 archtop. I now have to wonder how many of these were ever made, and whether or not I'll ever find one to buy.It'll have to be nautural with those inlays.Has anyone else ever seen these ? I know what I'ver seen the bursts sell for, but how much more - if any - is a natural going to be ??

Thanks to all in advance.

Dennis

need pictures......

Rarity does not in and of itself equate to valuable.

Generally, a Bozeman SJ sells for about the same as the equivalent J-45. Some models bring more. Most people think of the SJ as a 'burst, with block inlays. The "original" SJ naturals were renamed the Country Western in about 1959 or so.

Sorry, don't know how to post a link or photo yet.

I saw the listing on a YouTube video - for info purposes only -not affiliated with seller - type in 'SJ-45 Consignment' , and you'll see a video of the instrument. According to the dealer, that particular instrument is unavailable. I have not found another for sale so far, and my main concern now is availability.

The fretmarker inlays are called 'picture-frame' and they were banjo inlays Gibson used on some L-7 model archtop guitars in the '30's. I have one of these and love the look and sound, and this SJ would match !!

So, I'm looking for any info I can find - - mainly where to find one and then maybe how many may have been made, so I can either get my hands on one, or be realistic, and not get my hoipes up too much.

Thanks Again.

So, I'm looking for any info I can find - - mainly where to find one and then maybe how many may have been made, so I can either get my hands on one, or be realistic, and not get my hoipes up too much.

Thanks Again.

I haven't seen this particular model, but there are people here who may be familiar with it. Not sure those particular inlays would be authentic for any particular vintage SJ. As you say, I've only seen them on 1930's archtops. Gibson loves to mix and match vintage features on re-issue guitars, sometimes with confusing results.

If Im not mistakin.. the Centennial 34 Jumbo had the Picture Frame inlays and the elevated pick guard.. Rosewood Back and sides as well..

Upper Right corner in the middle..

DSCF0051.jpg

I did see somewhere where the Jumbo was also done in Natural in a very limited quanity as well..

I just spotted the first mid-'90's SJ-45 Centennial I've ever seen with natural color, rather than sunburst. It of course has those picture-frame inlays -- the same as those in my 30's L-7 archtop. I now have to wonder how many of these were ever made, and whether or not I'll ever find one to buy.It'll have to be nautural with those inlays.Has anyone else ever seen these ? I know what I'ver seen the bursts sell for, but how much more - if any - is a natural going to be ??

Thanks to all in advance.

Dennis

I've always thought the SJ-45 Deluxe was just a beautiful guitar, with its fingerboard inlays to the abalone purfling on the top. Kind of like the J-2000 version in the slope shoulder body....

And you're right: I don't think I've seen a natural version either.

If you're lucky, Hogeye might weight in to the thread with some details on shipping numbers for the SJ-45 Deluxe.

Fred

The name is somewhat confusing as the guitar is a Rosewood J-45. The SJ part of the name is just something that suggests a Super Jumbo which it is not. The guitar first shows up on the price list in 1994. The retail was $2,999.00. The price increased to $3,199.00 in 1995. There are no listing on the price after 1995. Gibson may have had special orders from large chains or International Shipment to explain the shipments from other years.The shipment numbers on this guitar are a bit of a mystery.

The back and sides are Indian Rosewood

The fretboard and bridge are Indian Rosewood

The tuners are Gold Grover

Inlays are Mother Of pearl

Binding is Abalone

The case is a Centenial deluxe hardshell

The banner is inlayed MOP

Model Finish Year # Shipped

SJ-45 Deluxe Antique Natural 1994 5

SJ-45 Deluxe Special Vintage Sunburst 1994 5

SJ-45 Deluxe Special Vintage Sunburst 1995 0

SJ-45 Deluxe Antique Natural 1995 0

Special Vintage Sunburst 1998 12

" 1999 37

" 2000 16

" 2001 51

" 2002 24

The name is somewhat confusing as the guitar is a Rosewood J-45. The SJ part of the name is just something that suggests a Super Jumbo which it is not. The guitar first shows up on the price list in 1994. The retail was $2,999.00. The price increased to $3,199.00 in 1995. There are no listing on the price after 1995. Gibson may have had special orders from large chains or International Shipment to explain the shipments from other years.The shipment numbers on this guitar are a bit of a mystery.

The back and sides are Indian Rosewood

The fretboard and bridge are Indian Rosewood

The tuners are Gold Grover

Inlays are Mother Of pearl

Binding is Abalone

The case is a Centenial deluxe hardshell

The banner is inlayed MOP

Model Finish Year # Shipped

SJ-45 Deluxe Antique Natural 1994 5

SJ-45 Deluxe Special Vintage Sunburst 1994 5

SJ-45 Deluxe Special Vintage Sunburst 1995 0

SJ-45 Deluxe Antique Natural 1995 0

Special Vintage Sunburst 1998 12

" 1999 37

" 2000 16

" 2001 51

" 2002 24

Thanks a lot for the information. I guess I'd feel better if I'd have learned they shipped more, then I'd have a better chance of finding one. Thanks again, and wish me luck !!

Dennis

Gibson loves to build guitars to order. Takes the guesswork out of their production. Just go to your dealer with the specs you want and have him get you a quote on a custom guitar. It will take you a lot less time than you think and the price might surprise you. If you don't have a good local dealer that has a good working relationship with the folks inside at Gibson just call Music Villa in Bozeman. They visit with the folks at the plant every day and can go the the plant and work on your behalf. Just ask for a fretboard with the Bela Voce fret inlays they will know what you want. You will get a great guitar.

Gibson loves to build guitars to order. Takes the guesswork out of their production. Just go to your dealer with the specs you want and have him get you a quote on a custom guitar. It will take you a lot less time than you think and the price might surprise you. If you don't have a good local dealer that has a good working relationship with the folks inside at Gibson just call Music Villa in Bozeman. They visit with the folks at the plant every day and can go the the plant and work on your behalf. Just ask for a fretboard with the Bela Voce fret inlays they will know what you want. You will get a great guitar.

I never knew that's what they're called. My original experience with them was, I was just going to save up all it took to buy an L-5, when my friend told me to check out an L-7 from the '30's. I had no idea what they looked like. When I finaly saw one, I fell in love with the look. I found one, bought it, and love it ! Then I saw this particular one and I (was) am hooked again !

Thanks for the help. I will absolutely check this out - - I like Montana builds.

Thanks for your help and info Hogeye.

Dennis

Custom builds are the way to go and if GIbson has made the guitar before then they have the computer programs in their system so it's a pretty simple build for them.

Music Villa is a great dealer and they are 2 miles from the Gibson plant so they can keep track of your guitar when it goes into production. One good thing to keep in mind is that Montana has no sales tax.

Glad I could be of some help but the good folks at Gibson are the ones that got me the info. I just went out and collected it.

Custom builds are the way to go and if GIbson has made the guitar before then they have the computer programs in their system so it's a pretty simple build for them.

Music Villa is a great dealer and they are 2 miles from the Gibson plant so they can keep track of your guitar when it goes into production. One good thing to keep in mind is that Montana has no sales tax.

Glad I could be of some help but the good folks at Gibson are the ones that got me the info. I just went out and collected it.

Thanks again !!!

• 2 years later...

Archived