Gibson Brands Forums

Stranger Song - leonard cohen cover - J45

flatbaroque

"like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never have to deal another"....

from one of my all time favourite old bits of vinyl...

hope you weren't working on this one BBG...but you can post anyway cause your pickin' will be better than mine :)

hope this jogs some memories!

Nice technique - love the on-going drive in the playing. How do you record? I have a Zoom QHD3 thing that for the life of me I cannot figure out - course I usually get distracted by the nearby rack of guitars... Your 45 keeps sounding better and better by the way - excellent guitar.

Thanks Dan...yea its just the same zoom Q3HD...I just had a look at it...i always thought I was recording with the mic setting on auto...but i just checked and it was on HIGH...seems HIGH might be a good setting for finger picked stuff...I didn't think it was a good setting for strummed stuff so I thought i was only using auto...but the toggle must have been knocked onto high.

I thought the zoom clip you posted a short while back was good...but you are getting inconsistent results?

I'm 2.5-4ft from the camera...depending if its a softer song or I want to hide my noggin.I sometimes use the Handyshare software to boost the volume a little...the clear and power setting in effects....I don't worry about reverb or anything.I'm happy with the way the guitar sounds, getting on 2 years old and only getting better I think.

Thanks for commenting as usual.

Cheers Em7...before today I'd only ever played it with the main part starting in D...and something was lacking...so I dropped down a whole step...by starting in C it allows a hammer on/pull off at the Em..on the g string second fret.That hammer on drives the whole song.

In the original key that hammer on had to happen at the F#m...which I never did...cause it was a lot harder...

happy to have found that out!

FB, I really enjoyed it. Great job. Excellent guitar work, and your vocals are unique and bring your own distinctive style to the music. I haven't had much time lately to check in here on the forum but I make it a point to drop by Saturday mornings to see if you've posted a song! Nice work!

Bill

Archived