Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 for $200 ?

EuroAussie

I'm pretty sure that's a J-45 custom, with rosewood back and sides, plus gold hardware. Not sure there's really enough there to be worth saving, except as an exercise in guitar repair for someone wanting to learn how to do it.

It's not like my custom (with the vine inlay on the headstock). Did the custom come without the inlay?

Ouhj yeah, I saw that one yesterday and thought no way. Also noticed the tone-bars, which like my Firebird stop before reaching the kerfing. This seems to be a white nut Standard and if the bracing principle is used there, it might be used more places than I believed. Is it just common for contemporary Gibsons, , , mmmmm.

El Kabong – long time no see. I kind of of recognized the looks of this bold fellow from way-back TV, not his name.

Googled more pics of him with an acoustic - is he a guitarist ?

This seems to be a white nut Standard and if the bracing principle is used there, it might be used more places than I believed. Is it just common for contemporary Gibsons, , , mmmmm.

Just mouse over that picture of the inside of the back and enlarge it. That grain and color doesn't say "mahogany" to me. Likewise, I've never seen gold hardware on a standard. I'd love to know what it says on the label, although this one just has too much damage to be a viable project.

If were a banner or late-40's model, I would consider taking a project like this on. But on a modern guitar? No way.

On this plus side, it's already apart, so it would be easy to work on. [biggrin]

It sure looks like a rosewood 'Standard' or Historic Collection -[/color][/size][/font]

http://www.thefellow...ail.asp?ID=1790

I'm betting rosewood modern classic, not that I'm really familiar with the model. Appears to have crown headstock inlay and ebony board. Don't know why the label is orange rather than white, but I suppose those things change. Hard to tell if the neck is intact, since the board is snapped off at the body. The neck, tuners, bridge, pickguard, and pickup might be the only practically usable items. Looks like something a luthier might pick up for spare parts.

It would be nice to have just to study the construction, but it's already at about what it's worth in my book.

What a shame.

I'm betting rosewood modern classic, not that I'm really familiar with the model. Appears to have crown headstock inlay and ebony board. Don't know why the label is orange rather than white, but I suppose those things change. Hard to tell if the neck is intact, since the board is snapped off at the body. The neck, tuners, bridge, pickguard, and pickup might be the only practically usable items. Looks like something a luthier might pick up for spare parts.

It would be nice to have just to study the construction, but it's already at about what it's worth in my book.

What a shame.

Of course MC as the link showed, not HC.

Something like this - GibsonJ-45Rosewood-.jpg - - - GibsonJ-45Rosewoodlabel.jpg

There you come crashing into the picture - welcome.

It's as if there is a story within that frame -

Don't hesitate to tell.

I bought this a while back on eBay. It came with the following story. (I had the year wrong ... it's a 1958):

--------------------------------------------------------------

This is what remains of my 1958 Gibson J45. I bought this guitar in 1964 in a pawn shop in Jacksonville, Florida when I was 17 years old. I traded my brand new Gibson LG1 and $25. Over the next 10 years I practiced, took lessons, watched other players, had top pickers show me finger by finger, fret by fret, string by string all different kinds of 'hot licks.' I never improved by a single note.

The most frustrating, around 1973, working as a bartender in Delray Beach, Florida, I happened upon a lad that could play ANYTHING that he had merely HEARD. Astounding guitar player. Anything by Dylan.. Zeppelin.. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young..The Doors..you name it, hum it, he could play it. Phenomenal player. After listening to this young man for about 4 nights, I asked, "So how long you been playing?" After a few moments he answered, " 'Bout 2 years." I was dumbstruck..crushed..reduced to ashes. All hope of ever improving vanished. It was then I understood: I had NO talent. All the practice in the world would not help me.

On a night in 1974, while trying to merely 'tune up,' frustration overcame good sense. I grasped my guitar around the neck and smashed it over a chair. And continued smashing until only the bridge was dangling from the ends of the strings. Not satisfied that I had sufficiently killed the guitar, I tried to break the neck over my knee. Didn't work...I had forgotten that it had a steel reinforced neck. I took the neck into my garage and sawed it in half.

The next morning, I found my wife picking up the pieces and putting them into a large plastic lug. Not a word was said. She hauled those pieces around for the next 22 years. Move after move.

Then, in 1995, I joined an art guild in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. They were very fond of 'themed art shows.' A theme came up in 1996, "Human Emotion." With my wife's encouragement, I mounted the pieces on an oak framed board and named it "The Frustrated Guitarist." It has hung in our den since. Now we are down-sizing. That's why I have put the 'masterful' piece on ebay. Maybe someone will like it for it WAS..a very beautiful 1958 Gibson Sunburst J-45.

The serial number found on the inside of the body affixed to the lower end of the neck is T2600 30.

The rest of the story: Around 2001, the lad that had so astounded me with his guitar playing, came to one of our Christmas parties. When he saw the Gibson crushed and mounted, he asked why I had ever done such a thing to this beautiful instrument. I reminded him of the night that he told me he had been playing a mere 2 years, and the sudden realization that I couldn't 'cut it.' The boy looked me in the eye and said, "Man, I lied..I've been playing since I was 5." And that's when I shot him.

Just kidding...but now you know.

----------------------------------------

I bought this a while back on eBay. It came with the following story.

----------------------------------------

Hahaha ha, , , 10 years saved rage, , , just too funny - don't know what to believe.

In fact I think this ever wide awake forum had the Bay-ad up in a thread when it happened. The story echoed in my memory and the piece immediately reverberated when I saw the red pick on the X.

Good to get it freshed up and stay aboard.

Hahaha ha, , , 10 years saved rage, , , just too funny - don't know what to believe.

In fact I think this ever wide awake forum had the Bay-ad up in a thread when it happened. The story echoed in my memory and the piece immediately reverberated when I saw the red pick on the X.

Good to get it freshed up and stay aboard.

Yep, I remembered it as well. It isn't an image you soon forget.

Archived