Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Gibson Montana Quality

michaelnel

I think this is the 432nd similar version of this thread. After so many threads, I can finally just sum up my feelings like this: You can't GENERALIZE about a "brand". You have to play each guitar, no matter which maker, and determine if it is right for you. I have gone to stores and played Gibsons that brought tears to my eyes, and some that, let's say, UNDERWHELMED me. Someone made this point, I think it was RAR,: Gibson sells every guitar it makes. Think about it.....You go to guitar center, and play 10 Gibsons. Half you like, half you don't. You go back 3 months later, they are mostly all gone, INCLUDING the ones you didn't like. Someone ALWAYS buys them!!! Everyone finds one they like eventually. Compared to Gibson's of the past, I think build quality is probably the best it's been in the history thanks to Ren and his workers, but quality of sound is in the ears of the beholders and build quality, does not always equate with sound quality, not just with Gibson's, but with any brand. So guitar by guitar, make your choice.

I just took a '91 SJ-45 (that's on the slightly yellowed label) in on trade. Been a while since I've owned and/or played a jumbo for any length of time (thanks right shoulder) and this thing amazes me. First off, the bottom end is like a deep, dark cannon that I can feel thumping through my chest. The very present Gibsonish mids are there in plenty and the top end rings and chimes like loose change. The whole guitar sustains like forever and the action is perfect.

So, my take on Gibson's quality based on one 12 year old guitar is that Gibson has produced some fine ones from back when they first got their act together, guitars that have held up well, aged nicely and continue to improve.

Archived