Gibson Brands Forums

Songs with insane solos in them...

burdger

I'm sorry if this has been done before, but I searched and didn't find anything. I'm looking for some songs with ridiculous guitar solos in them. You know, the ones that make you go, "How in the hell did he/she pull that off? I have to learn that NOW!"

Thanks

Well this is from around 1981, but it came to mind as soon as I saw this thread...tis is a live performance by Blue Oyster Cult, Buck Dharma (Donald Roesser) on the SG...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXfkkyI1nQ

This one is still amazing to me....where did he come up with THAT!!!???

mark

The Fillmore East New Years Eve 69/70 version of Jimi's Machine Gun is quite likely the most amazing piece of guitar pyrotechnics ever played.Jimi took this quintessential anti-war anthem and took the listener right into the Vietnam war.You could just picture the jet-bombers roaring in over the Mai-Kong Delta and hear the fighters screaming over the napalm devastated jungles that had been stripped bare by the dreaded incendiary devices.His uncanny ability to recreate the eerie dirge of the air raid siren is so chilling that it raises the hairs on the back of your neck and on your arms.Many of today's great guitarists who weren't around when Jimi walked the earth also claim Machine Gun to be the guitar solo that is used to be the benchmark against which all others are judged.Even the great Myles Davis-who made no secret of the fact that his fondest wish had been to make a recording with Jimi-cited Machine Gun as the greatest guitar work ever played.

I guess it depends on your definition of "insane." If you mean shredding type solos then there too many to count. Any Joe Pass tune would be considered insane, especially during his heavy finger picking ones. Jerry Reed was another insane player. But some insane solos are for me are actually pretty easy to play. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouKoUKaTSq4

Here's an Alex Lifeson solo that gets me scratching my head every time I here it (listen starting at 2:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukz_T9HFLJU

LOL! A minus in the "Insane solo" thread!!

Come on...speak up! Why the minus? Was the solo not insane enough for you? Don't like the poster? Speak up why dontcha?!

I'm not sure what this post was about...

Anyway, sorry been away from this thread a while.

I really liked all of the songs posted so far. Some of my favorites that I've found surfing around are probably pretty popular ones. I think my new favorite guitarist is Stevie Ray Vaughn. I really dig a lot of the stuff that he did. Other newer favorites include Jake E. Lee, and Eddie. I listened to a lot of Van Halen Growing up, but I didn't really appreciate his skills until now.

Archived