Gibson Brands Forums

Goodwood revival - I got very lucky (now with pics) ( now with vids)

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Last night my brother called. He had two competitors passes for the Goodwood revival. I have just taken a photo of 10 cars in a row, all the remaining Auto Union cars. £100,000,000 each. That's a 1 billion pound row of cars. The real lunacy is they are all just about to have a race!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Let's start with with this slightly less exotic beauty.

Alfa.jpg

This is one of the Auto Union Silver Arrows...

Autounion.jpg

My Internet's down so I'm uploading slowly with 3g.

Guest Farnsbarns

Alfa's are a must, there must of been tons tons of GT junior's around.

Wait till you see 11, yes 11 Ferrari 250 GTO's on a track. I didn't know there were 11 of them.

Here's a Porsche 904 (thanks Pippy) for now...

Porsche.jpg

904-6lo-res.jpg

The 904 is (IMHO) one of the most beautiful and desirable sports racers of all time. Designed pretty much single-handedly by 'Butzi' Porsche just before he styled the 911.

Unusual to see one in red, though!

P.

I don't know too much about these, but yea, the red threw me.

Italy is red, UK is green. What is Porsche commonly?

Guest Farnsbarns

The 904 is (IMHO) one of the most beautiful and desirable sports racers of all time. Designed pretty much single-handedly by 'Butzi' Porsche just before he styled the 911.

Unusual to see one in red, though!

P.

Here's a silver one...

Porsche2.jpg

Silver (as in the 'Silver Arrows').

'Twas not always thus....

It all dates back to the very dawn of motor sport. Every participating country was designated one colour; As you say, red was Italy, Green was Great Britain, France was blue etc.

The USA was originally offered white but declined this offer and the colour was taken up by Germany.

Things being the way they were sooner or later the Germans asked if anyone objected to 'white' being interpreted as being 'neither coloured nor shaded' and, receiving no objections, elected to use silver as their national colour.

Whereas the racing Mercedes Benz cars of the Edwardian era are usually painted white the later cars - most famously those from the late '20s and throughout the '30s (the Auto Unions and the Mercedes') - were always silver.

One exception was in the early days of the Targa Florio....such was the 'reluctance' of the locals to see a German car win they were known, on occasion, to make life 'difficult' for any silver-painted car. The factory resorted to painting their cars red for this event!

Even nowadays in Formula 1 both the 'Mercedes' factory team and the 'Vodafone McLaren Mercedes' team have silver as the base colour for their respective machines.

Interestingly the works Porsche 'Rennsport' themselves, althought using silver from their earliest days, reverted to white being the base colour from approx 1967 on.

Furthermore their regular production car white is known as 'Grand Prix White' - even 'though they hardly ever competed in Grand Prix and when they did it wasn't painted white...

P.

I don't know too much about these, but yea, the red threw me.

These are the second generation GT's, not GT-40s, not the orig. 1964 to 1969- they only made 107 of them. The ones you see at this show were built fro '03 to '06, there were 4,038 of those built. So when you see the real deal, trust me, there won't be "tons" of them!

The orig. are only 40" from the ground to the roof line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_GT40_(front).jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

These are the second generation GT's, not GT-40s, not the orig. 1964 to 1969- they only made 107 of them. The ones you see at this show were built fro '03 to '06, there were 4,038 of those built. So when you see the real deal, trust me, there won't be "tons" of them!

The orig. are only 40" from the ground to the roof line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_GT40_(front).jpg

Nothing post 1969 is allowed at the Goodwood Revival and it's only by invitation so all the cars have history. You have to have something special so I can be sure that the five or six there were real GT40s. I didn't mean they're not rare but most of the cars there were one of famous cars or examples of rare cars with some kind of history.

It's a very unusual event, everyone dresses up in 50s clothing (as seen in some of those pictures) and everything is done up like it's the 50s. Very amusing.

Last night my brother called. He had two competitors passes for the Goodwood revival. I have just taken a photo of 10 cars in a row, all the remaining Auto Union cars. £100,000,000 each. That's a 1 billion pound row of cars. The real lunacy is they are all just about to have a race!

Sorry are you saying that each of these cars are worth 100 million pounds ? Are you sure ? And they raced them...seems hard to believe..... [scared]

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry are you saying that each of these cars are worth 100 million pounds ? Are you sure ? And they raced them...seems hard to believe..... [scared]

Shame I don't have a video. Here's 11 Ferrari 250 GTO's...

One of these is Nick Mason and he's driving, the white one is Chris Evans, he's also driving and the green one is someone else famous but I forget who. Pippy knows as it was him that mentioned it to me. These are super rich lunatics and money is relative, if you earn the value of one of these in a month it changes your perspective.

There are 36 of these in the world. There might only be 35 now as one spun and never came back round. A doctor followed the pace car out so it must have been quite a thump.

Last time one of these changed hands it was for $30,000,000 according to wikipedia. Now these chaps weren't officially racing but they were giving it some beans and about 5 of these did race, that video is very big but I will upload it soon

Last time one of these changed hands it was for $30,000,000 according to wikipedia.

also states it's worlds most expensive car....$30 million is about a fifth of £100 million so perhaps the opening comment re Auto Union figure is wrong ?

Guest Farnsbarns

also states it's worlds most expensive car....$30 million is about a fifth of £100 million so perhaps the opening comment re Auto Union figure is wrong ?

Why does everyone on here want an arguement?

What it actually says is...

In what is believed to be the largest single car transaction in the United Kingdom, the Ferrari 250 GTO sold for over GBP20 million (approx. US$31.7 million

Last time I looked the UK was only a small part of the world. Furthermore, I still think it's wrong, perhaps the writer of the entry meant production cars. I don't know how much the current owners of Bluebird paid (Montague family?) but it will be more than that.

Bugger off and let those that just like to look at the pictures and the videos my rare good fortune afforded enjoy them.

Archived