Gibson Brands Forums

Goodwood revival - I got very lucky (now with pics) ( now with vids)

Guest Farnsbarns

One of those Ferrari 250 GTO (#4399GT) was owned and campaigned at the Nurburgring in 1965 by my late Uncle Gordon Durham, although he was not the driver (they were his pals Salmon and Kerrison.....). Originally a bog-standard 250-GTO, Scaglietti re-bodied it in 1963 to the '64 shape. In January 1965 Gordon bought her from Col.Ronnie Hoare (Maranello Concessionaires' founder) finally selling her to John Dawney in July of that same year. At age 13, I just recall spine-tingling acceleration and a noise like music..... Last I saw her she was registered "APB 1" to Sir Tony Bamford.

4399GT was completed on May 29th 1963 and left the factory with a Series I style bodywork and was delivered to Col. Ronnie Hoare. Mike Parkes won the Whitsun Trophy, Goodwood, Martini Trophy, Silverstone and the Tourist Trophy, Goodwood in her driving for Ronnie. At the end of 1963 4399GT received a '64 style Scaglietti body, in which Graham Hill won the Sussex Trophy, Silverstone and the International Trophy, Silverstone. Mike Parkes then used her to win the 500km Spa, and then Innes Ireland and Maggs finished the 24h Le Mans 6th OA. The old girl turns up most Goodwoods..... and was in the line up you saw.

IMG0016.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

One of those Ferrari 250 GTO (#4399GT) was owned and campaigned at the Nurburgring in 1965 by my late Uncle Gordon Durham, although he was not the driver (they were his pals Salmon and Kerrison.....). Originally a bog-standard 250-GTO, Scaglietti re-bodied it in 1963 to the '64 shape. In January 1965 Gordon bought her from Col.Ronnie Hoare (Maranello Concessionaires' founder) finally selling her to John Dawney in July of that same year. At age 13, I just recall spine-tingling acceleration and a noise like music..... Last I saw her she was registered "APB 1" to Sir Tony Bamford.

4399GT was completed on May 29th 1963 and left the factory with a Series I style bodywork and was delivered to Col. Ronnie Hoare. Mike Parkes won the Whitsun Trophy, Goodwood, Martini Trophy, Silverstone and the Tourist Trophy, Goodwood in her driving for Ronnie. At the end of 1963 4399GT received a '64 style Scaglietti body, in which Graham Hill won the Sussex Trophy, Silverstone and the International Trophy, Silverstone. Mike Parkes then used her to win the 500km Spa, and then Innes Ireland and Maggs finished the 24h Le Mans 6th OA. The old girl turns up most Goodwoods..... and was in the line up you saw.

IMG0016.jpg

Nice! What colour is/was it. Chris Evans had his resprayed to match his white car collection but I rather think he might be the only one mad enough. Maybe we can pick it out. I have another vid where number plates are visible, including 250 GTO, Nick Mason's car.

Edit: was that picture there before? Missed that. Looks like the chicane just after woodcote at Goodwood?

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry if I sound anal, but that looks like 1 Spitfire, 1 Mustang & 1 P47 Thunderbolt to me.

Ian.

Hmm, not my strong point but the program and announcer said 2 mustangs. They were different colours but looked otherwise the same to me. One was silver and one was green.

Nice! What colour is/was it. Chris Evans had his resprayed to match his white car collection but I rather think he might be the only one mad enough. Maybe we can pick it out. I have another vid where number plates are visible, including 250 GTO, Nick Mason's car.

Ol' APB 1 ain't likely to change colour 'till old man Bamford sells her.....

Here are some pictures of her at the Revival 2012.....

dsc_6446.jpg

dsc_6434.jpg

dsc_6431.jpg

dsc_6420.jpg

dsc_5537.jpg

dsc_5513.jpg

GTOTourD2%201136.jpg

GTOTourD4%20823.jpg

GTOTourD3%201454.jpg

I loved her then, I love her now.....

.....lottery ticket, come on, win for me !

Guest Farnsbarns

Yep, definitely seem to remember the pale blue nose and back.

Those pics music have been Saturday. Sunday was overcast, no sun all day. I wasn't there on Saturday.

Why does everyone on here want an arguement?

What it actually says is...

In what is believed to be the largest single car transaction in the United Kingdom, the Ferrari 250 GTO sold for over GBP20 million (approx. US$31.7 million

Not looking for an argument at all & like cars. However I also like numbers and £100 million for a car sounded way too much...so I tried to find out [blush]

What Wikepedia actually goes on to say about the 250 GTO is:-

In May 2012 the 1962 250 GTO made for Stirling Moss became the world's most expensive car, selling in a private transaction for $35 million

So I'm think your figure of £100 million can't be right. Sorry to upset you but I just like to get the right info.You never know when you might need it.

Glad you enjoyed your day.

These are the second generation GT's, not GT-40s, not the orig. 1964 to 1969- they only made 107 of them.

Yes. As Farns says nothing modern is allowed on track.

It's been a few years since I went (I used to be a member of the Goodwood Road Racing Club) but in those days the cut-off year was '66 since that was the last year it served as a 'proper' race track.

The largest number of Ford GT Mk II's / GT-40s I saw in one single race there was eight including at least two ex- Le Mans cars.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yes. As Farns says nothing modern is allowed on track.

It's been a few years since I went (I used to be a member of the Goodwood Road Racing Club) but in those days the cut-off year was '66 since that was the last year it served as a 'proper' race track.

The largest number of Ford GT Mk II's / GT-40s I saw in one single race there was eight including at least two ex- Le Mans cars.

P.

Funnily enough I just learned that there were 5 there but they were 5 of the 7 rather than the 100 that were sold to meet the homologation regs. I e. They were works race cars. I also learned that the same goes for the Cobras I saw.

I also learned that the cut off is still 66. I had previously thought it was simply the end of the 60s.

Ol' APB 1 ain't likely to change colour 'till old man Bamford sells her.....

dsc_6446.jpg

I loved her then, I love her now.....

.....lottery ticket, come on, win for me !

And not even then...

It's unlikely anyone will ever change the colour scheme. She's far too famous within the racing/collecting community to get a(nother) facelift! All other thoughts put to one side, she's also much MUCH more valuable in those colours.

As N!k says, Graeme Hill won the 'authentic' Goodwood TT in her and I was fortunate enough to see his son, ex-F1 Driver's Champion Damon Hill, win in his dad's old car in the same event in the 1998 (I think) Revival.

The light green 250 GTO ("UDT Laystall")was usually piloted by Stirling Moss. He was also frequently usually the driver back in the day and, amongst a glittering career at Goodwood, won the TT race on four consecutive years in a variety of machinery.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Not looking for an argument at all & like cars. However I also like numbers and £100 million for a car sounded way too much...so I tried to find out [blush]

What Wikepedia actually goes on to say about the 250 GTO is:-

In May 2012 the 1962 250 GTO made for Stirling Moss became the world's most expensive car, selling in a private transaction for $35 million

So I'm think your figure of £100 million can't be right. Sorry to upset you but I just like to get the right info.You never know when you might need it.

Glad you enjoyed your day.

No Auto Union Silver Arrow has ever publicly been sold. A modern rebuild made with a mix and match of parts was recently up for auction. After it was discovered that there were some huge discrepancies the value was estimated at just 12m. It stalled out at 6 and was not sold.

In fairness it's hard to put a value on a thing like that if there is no precedent but the Russians returned one to Audi just after the collapse of the USSR. They had stolen it during the war. Another was returned to Audi by a museum in exchange for a perfect replica that Audi commissioned for the purpose. I believe they are still all in the hands of Audi and Mercedes.

The one my brother has been involved with is insured for £100,000,000.

No Auto Union Silver Arrow has ever publicly been sold. A modern rebuild made with a mix and match of parts was recently up for auction. After it was discovered that there were some huge discrepancies the value was estimated at just 12m. It stalled out at 6 and was not sold.

In fairness it's hard to put a value on a thing like that if there is no precedent but the Russians returned one to Audi just after the collapse of the USSR. They had stolen it during the war. Another was returned to Audi by a museum in exchange for a perfect replica that Audi commissioned for the purpose. I believe they are still all in the hands of Audi and Mercedes.

The one my brother has been involved with is insured for £100,000,000.

Thanx that's interesting.

As N!k says, Graeme Hill won the 'authentic' Goodwood TT in her and I was fortunate enough to see his son, ex-F1 Driver's Champion Damon Hill, win in his dad's old car in the same event in the 1998 (I think) Revival.

See that passenger seat, in that photo there Pipster.

I've been driven around Surrey in that old banger !

If any of you get the chance to sit in one, or even

stand close to one - just listen to the music of that engine.....

I STILL can not get my head around the fact that my uncle actually owned her, albeit only for six months. He raced Porsche all his life bar that one stint with the red machine (which he admitted was just too much - mostly financially and preparation-wise) and one season immediately after her in a Lotus Elan 26R. I recall going to the works, meeting Chapman and spending most of a day watching them fit it to my Uncle, and STILL he didn't get to drive her away! His best in the Elan was a third place at Croft in March 1966. As it was he couldn't get on with her, and went back to Carreras - prepared in Stuttgart for the rest of his racing career.

Ferrari 250 GTO-64 Berlinetta #4399GT history:-

1:- Col Ronnie Hoare (GB), - May 1963 to Jan 1965, registered 91553 MO

2:- Gordon Durham (GB), Jan 1965 to Jun 1965, registered 91553 MO

3:- John Dawnay (GB), - Jun 1965 to - Sep 1965, registered 91553 MO

4:- George Drummond (GB), - Sep 1965 to 1969, registered MO 75722

5:- Sir Anthony Bamford (GB), 1969 onwards, registered JCB 250, then APB I

(Yes - that Tony Bamford, of JCB fame.....)

Sorry if I sound anal, but that looks like 1 Spitfire, 1 Mustang & 1 P47 Thunderbolt to me.

Ian.

2 Mustangs and a Thunderbolt.

Anal would be 2 P-52D's and a P-47D Razorback, viewed by the fact the P-51's have the bubble canopies. The P-47 'D' model appeared while the Razorback was still made just before the transition to the bubble canopy on most 'D' models, but the 'D' also had a thicker propeller which allowed it to have a better climb rate which was a weak point for the P-47.

The common reputation that the P-51 was the best plane of the war is a matter of judgement and mostly a misconception- both the Spitfire and the P-47 were upgraded to performance better than the Mustang, although pilots wanted the P-51 over the P-47, and it was loaded with lots of gas tanks to allow it to go to Germany and back. The fastest was actually the P-47"M", which was a lightend hot-rod of a plane, that was only built for one squadron. The P-47"N" had a very long range and was made built and used for long range missions to Japan.

But who is anal here?

See that passenger seat, in that photo there Pipster.

I've been driven around Surrey in that old banger !

If any of you get the chance to sit in one, or even

stand close to one - just listen to the music of that engine.....

N!k, my friend, you are a very fortunate individual (but you know that already).

Just to keep Commodore 64's off the top of the list for a few more minutes here's a period snap of her, No. 11, in 1962 (in her original bodywork, of course!). Graham Hill doing the honours.

This time he was narrowly beaten by the similarily mounted Innes Ireland (No.12).

Lo-res%20Goodwood%20TT%201962_zps7cc9a128.jpg

Numbers 1 and 2 are the Aston Martin works racers "Project 212" and "Project 214". The other cars in the snap are a couple of Lightweight 'E-Type' Jags and a further brace of 250 GTO''s.

But who is anal here?

I am......:P

P.

...I have a Burago model of a 250GT.

Beautiful cars.

Sigh.....

This is the key-ring for my 914-4....

Lo-res%20250%20key-ring_zps3f552449.jpg

'Sleeping with the Enemy'....

[blush]

If you thought 'Gibson V's Fender' polarized opinion and brought about heated debate just try 'Ferrari V's Porsche' for a bit.....

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Right. This is the most entertaining video I took.

Notice that nearly everyone slides through this dual apex corner, using the slide to scrub the last of the speed. Notice also that at the beginning of the vid they are doing this under a waved yellow ( the Marshall on the left of the frame). Right at the beginning notice the spin under a waved yellow. Notice the 2 Jags driving on the ragged edge. The tiny pale blue Austin A5 is owned, run and was originally developed by Rae Davis. We were there at his invitation. It has an A Series engine putting out 120bhp (standard is 36) this is what our recently stolen mini sounded like!

Guest Farnsbarns

2 comments.

Fabulous sights and sound (sadly no smell).

Great to see "real" cars doing their thing.

Thank you for taking the trouble Farnsbarns.....

No need for thanks. A day like that made me 12 again for a while.

BTW, I only just looked at this thread on my computer, the free app I used made a terrible job of resizing all the pics. I'm not going to replace them all but if anyone wants a decent copy of a pic just give me shout.

On my computer, on page one it did take some time for the page to finish because of the pics. But for me, these pics were worth it. They really come to life and show the cars.

Don't have any idea what I am talking about or if it helps. I couldn't say if it is the quality of the pics or the skill of the person getting the right shots. Just sayin.

Archived