Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Storage/Display

thejay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wait a minute, Mister!

May I ask which model is that yellow LP on the left? So nice...

Thank You in advance!

Cheers... Bence

It's the dreaded LP Special SL which means sans lacquer. I walked into GC fully expecting to drop big bux on a full fledged LP, but I saw this sitting on a stand by itself. Something about it caught my eye. I picked it up and the strings were touching the pick up. A salesman asked me if I needed help and I had mim get me a screwdriver. I sat down, plugged int a little Fender, and played while making pickup and bridge height adjustments for an hour or so. It is an extremely comfy guitar to play, and sounded good, so I bought it. The paint comes off kind of easy though....

P1010015.jpg

With the exception of 3 or 4 that I don't have cases for I keep all my guitars in cases with silica crystals to absorb excess humidity that we have,living just 200 feet from the North Atlantic.I also keep 1 or 2 on the chesterfield for daily play but everything else is kept well out of harms way.The ones that I don't have cases for are kept on a very stable stand with a dust cover over them.

I don't display - just play. Always keep them in the cases. Hanging on wall allows dirt and dust to accumulate. Sitting on a stand can cause problems with the finish (especially nitro), and then there are the humidity issues. I live where it gets very cold in winter so heat is on all the time drying out the air in the house. Hot and humid in the summer so too much humidity. Just keep them all in the cases (acoustics with humidifiers in winter).

There is a thread on the official Gibson forum where a thread was started on how do you store your guitar cases.

One guy had a nice cabinet that would hold the cases horizontally and have a lid on top that opened up to four compartments to hold accessories.

That one caught my eye, and I did some inquiring with a few local shops that never got back to me, and I had asked my PRS dealer if he knew anyone that could make one, and he recommended Forbes Furniture in Kent, WA.

I gave them a call, and he said more than likely they could, and for me to send him a few pictures and dimensions.

A few months later and I now have the cabinet in my home, they delivered it today.

Very happy with the way it turned out.

The four compartments on top are HUGE.

Plenty of room for all of my stuff.

I took plenty of pictures, and a few show inside of the compartments.

I have never seen this type of lid closing hinge before, the shop mentioned it is a pretty new design, and I uploaded a video to YouTube showing how it lowers the lid nice and slowly.

Specs:

3/4" birch

Mahogany oil base wood stain

Water base sanding sealer

Enduro clear Poly a self crosslinking polyurethane

Above products are from General Finishes

This is an ideal way to get my cases up off of the floor, and a great way for organizing accessories such as polish, cloths, strings, pics, extra cords, etc.

I have a PRS 408 MT on order, it should not be to much longer until my dealer gets it in.

It will be the most expensive guitar I have purchased to date.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I made my own guitar storage racks because I got tired of having to dig through piles of cases to find the one I was in the mood to play on any given day. And I wanted them up off the floor in case (god forbid) any water ever ran amok in my studio. There's some very high dollar storage furniture posted in this thread so nobody laugh at my modest - but very utilitarian - creations. I couldn't bring myself to spending as much cash as some of you have on a fancy piece of furniture - hell you could buy a couple more real nice Gibson guitars for what some of you folks have paid to have your cabinetry professionally built. God bless ya but I'd rather invest in more gear instead..LOL [tongue]

post-32452-043332400 1365656256_thumb.jpg

post-32452-040609500 1365656325_thumb.jpg

There is a thread on the official Gibson forum where a thread was started on how do you store your guitar cases.

One guy had a nice cabinet that would hold the cases horizontally and have a lid on top that opened up to four compartments to hold accessories.

That one caught my eye, and I did some inquiring with a few local shops that never got back to me, and I had asked my PRS dealer if he knew anyone that could make one, and he recommended Forbes Furniture in Kent, WA.

I gave them a call, and he said more than likely they could, and for me to send him a few pictures and dimensions.

A few months later and I now have the cabinet in my home, they delivered it today.

Very happy with the way it turned out.

The four compartments on top are HUGE.

Plenty of room for all of my stuff.

I took plenty of pictures, and a few show inside of the compartments.

I have never seen this type of lid closing hinge before, the shop mentioned it is a pretty new design, and I uploaded a video to YouTube showing how it lowers the lid nice and slowly.

Specs:

3/4" birch

Mahogany oil base wood stain

Water base sanding sealer

Enduro clear Poly a self crosslinking polyurethane

Above products are from General Finishes

This is an ideal way to get my cases up off of the floor, and a great way for organizing accessories such as polish, cloths, strings, pics, extra cords, etc.

I have a PRS 408 MT on order, it should not be to much longer until my dealer gets it in.

It will be the most expensive guitar I have purchased to date.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

3.jpg

The original design of this cabinet was done by Tim, you may know him as R9 on the forum. That was like 6 years ago or more... I liked his design and asked him if I could copy it. He sent me some picks and mesasurements and I made a few design changes. I used a piano hinge and added hydrolic lifters on the sides to help open and shut the heavy top. That was about 5 years ago. Tim suggested I make the horizontal shelves a bit wider just incase I get some larger cases in the future. Glad I took his advise because my JP EDS 1275 would not have fit. I also made the top shelf a bit wider to fit an acoustic guitar case as well. I didn't put any compartments in the top section thinking if I needed extra space one day I could put another guitar there. Eventually I out grew the chest and wanted another one but not something that took up so much room in my studio so I made my own design. That's that case with the draw in the bottom. I very happy with it, takes up much less space and has very easy access to the guitars. And the bottom draw holds lots of stuff too.

The next guy who made the R9 design was Flight... You can thank Tim for the original design... Just sayin'...

Here are some pics of the cases I built

CIMG2122.jpg

Studio.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

DSC03492.jpg

DSC03493.jpg

Nice storage rack Rev.

Dave, thanks for the history on the storage cabinet.

I should have inquired on how deep the upper compartments were.

I told the shop to make mine a foot deep, but I could have gotten away with about 6" to 8" in depth.

I have a ton of room on top though to swallow up more GAS purchases in the future :D

I did show the shop your pics too, and they liked it.

They did forget to put the castors on mine like I wanted, but I am glad they forgot to install them.

The cabinet is pretty high now, and castors would make it so I would have to stand on something just to work on the guitar when it is on top of the lid.

Hey Corey, Yeah you chest came out great... [thumbup] I might suggest you raise it up off the floor a bit though... I put a little wooden feet to raise mine up a little, not as high as casters would have raised it though... Thats just to protect your guitars against any moisture from the floor or spills of floods...

Thanks Dave.

I am on the 2nd floor at my apartment complex, so no worries right now about any water.

But I am looking to move later, and for sure I will get it up off the floor a bit.

Also my case at the very bottom is one of those waterproof SKB ones, I keep the Tremonti in that one, as its neck was not laying down flat in the PRS hardshell case I had bought for it.

The original design of this cabinet was done by Tim, you may know him as R9 on the forum.

I got deja vu when I saw the cabinet pic that but couldn't remember where I saw it before because I check out so many forum's

Archived