Gibson Brands Forums

to Fender?

thejay

I am very satisfied with my current lineup up of Gibson's and I am thinking about adding a Fender to the stable. Debating between a tele and a strat, granted very different sounds but is there much difference between the Mex vs USA made? I have a Pawn Shop 51 made in Japan that I love, only Fender I own. This guitar plays great with my Gibson's on recordings so I was thinking of adding another Fender.

Any thoughts?

I don't recall off hand the type of pups in the pawnshop series but if they've got HBs maybe go with something with single coils .Adds to the color wheel if you know what I mean. Both the Mex and USA models are excellent. Some will swear there's no difference but having owned several of both I disagree.

In the end the best advice is get out there and play em. Only you know what's right for you.

I have played 4-5 teles in the last week, all USA made and didn't bond with any of them unfortunately. Haven't tried any strats at all yet.

Have you thought about other Fenders like a Jaguar or Jazzmaster? Depending on what your budget is, a USA Jaguar or Jazzmaster is worth checking out over a Strat. Would also recommend a used CIJ Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Although the market for them has gone up unnecessarily they can still be found for a reasonable price.

I am very satisfied with my current lineup up of Gibson's and I am thinking about adding a Fender to the stable. Debating between a tele and a strat, granted very different sounds but is there much difference between the Mex vs USA made? I have a Pawn Shop 51 made in Japan that I love, only Fender I own. This guitar plays great with my Gibson's on recordings so I was thinking of adding another Fender.

Any thoughts?

I have 6 Gibsons and 3 Fenders, I would recommend single coils MIA telecasters. I played a dozen Teles and the MIMs and Vintage Vibe series,all good guitars. Difference between MIA and MIM is minimal. Regardless I ended up buying a brand new 2011 USA Tele with Texas Special Pickups and case for under a grand.

It is an excellent guitar I especially like the jumbo frets. You got to play a few to find the right one, I also recommend the maple neck and fretboard.

I own both a MIM and an American Strat. The MIM Strats are nice but don't come close to my American IMHO. It may be because I have a Deluxe with an ash body, but I just get that same great tone out of the MIM one compared to the American one. They are great guitars for the price though.

Get a Tele!

The difference between MIM and MIA isn't huge, but if you can swing it I say go for the American model. My American Standard Tele is pretty spectacularly awesome and I feel it's worth the money for sure. I love my bandmate's MIM Jazz, but my Tele is better.

The way they finish the American Standard Tele's neck feels really nice. It's a satin finish on the back which is perfectly smooth (not porous like the faded Gibsons). Then the front is glossy which looks nice. Other than that they seem to be about the same

G&L ASATs are pretty nice if you get a chance to try them.

We've owned two G&L's....non-USA...and they were better than the Mex Tele and Strats we've owned...but not quite as nice as USA Fenders we have. My daughter's Mex Tele is excellent. My son's friend leaves most of his gear at my house and his Fender BlackTop strat is an excellent guitar...worth every cent.

I'd buy a used USA Fender...there are plenty going for good prices on CL and eBay. Heck, I just traded in my mint USA Strat for next to nothing just to get my hands on a Martin acoustic.

Between MIM and American, I would focus more on what model or product line rather than try and draw a line between them.

There are some cheap Mexican ones, and some that are the equal of the American ones, EXCEPT for the pups. I don't know of any MIM ones that use the good stuff. There are those that feel that certain cheaper pups are "fine" or sound good, but I think they don't know what they are missing. Pups are important for a Fender type.

There is actually a big difference between a Tele and a Strat. A Strat is a much more "clear" tone and a lot smoother in a certain way, but also more dynamic than a Tele. And more spank from a Strat. A Tele is more throaty and accoustic, or "twangy" if you can dig. It also has more beef at the same time.

If you aren't familiar with what they can do or what they sound like, I would suggest only trying American ones for plugging into an amp. When or if you decide Tele or Strat, I would play them all (MIM or American) with the obvious goal of finding one that touches you, with the intention of changing pups if you find a Mexican one that gets you.

After a few years of frets popping out, neck twisting, and pot metal tremolo bars de-threading you'll wish you had gone American. That said, I still love my MIM Buddy Guy Strat, it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble, but that's the hit and miss of the Mexican factory.

As far a model, Strats have it over Teles in versatility. Tele's are 100x's easier to maintain, unless you get a Hard Tail Strat. I prefer the look and feel of a Strat over a Tele, but that's just me.

In the 70's I played pure Gibson. In the 80's pure strat. You gotta fight with it just a bit. When they sing, man.

Now I play both and the strat is my main guitbox with the LP a close second. Tele's great but give the strat a really good try. MIA

My babies:

PhillipsStrat.jpg

558323_111518768994374_1130810686_n.jpg

Any thoughts?

That is actually a great idea on expanding your guitar arsenal. Having different kinds of guitars at your disposal is always a good thing. This goes for amps and pedals as well. I have a collection of Fenders as well and from what I understand and from what I've been informed from the Fender forum which Im also a member of, there are minimal differences between a MIM and MIA fenders. Main difference is mainly electronics. The neck and body for the most part are indeed made in USA and shipped to Mexico for assembly while USA made are assembled here. QC for MIM is at par with USA since the Mexican factory is so close to the Corona, CA factory. You can't go wrong with either.

I would play both tele and strat and see which you like, and then eventually get the other. Good to have a tele and stat. Just like have a Gibson with humbucking and one with P90s.

I'd gravitate to the Strat moreso than the Tele as your tone spectrum is much wider than that of the Tele and it seems that some Gibson players have a harder time adapting to the feel of the Tele rather than the Strat.For about $900 you can pick up a fabulous Jimmie Vaughn Strat that sounds so much like the beloved "L" series Strats that were made from '62-'65 and are considered by many to be the best Strats ever made.When I bought my J.V. Strat I had tried from 9-10 others and made it a point to ignore the price and model info on the hang tags. I had allowed for $3,000 for a Strat but the J.V. was the one that spoke to me and ended up being among the cheapest at only $900.In fact I was so impressed with the sound of the J.V. Strat through the Blues Jr. that I bought the matching Beige Special Edition Blues Jr. and still came in way under the $3,000 that I had allowed for the guitar only.

I just added an American Standard Strat with fat 50's to my stable. HUGE difference between the American and Mexican when plugged into my Twin. MUCH more resonance and sustain from the American. Worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

Looks just like mine, but I went with the Jade Pearl Metallic.

2012amstdstrat001.jpg

Archived