Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 string revelation

jackcooper

Just wanted to share my joy in getting the best out of my J-45.

After much experimenting with string brands and gauges, I restrung it a few days ago with medium d'addarios on the first three strings and lights on the low end.

The guitar was fairly balanced before, but my critical ear often felt (particularly in humid weather) that the low end was perhaps a little overpowering when using either lights or mediums all over.

The balance on this guitar is now incredible.

Worth a try if your 45 is on the bassy side.

Cheers,

Jack.

Yeah, i remember moving the high E and B strings to mediums on my Songwriter which has a big bass. Remember it felt like it balanced the guitar out and brough more high end sparkle. These little experiements are great as they can really be a revelation without costing a heap of money.

We should all report what strings we like on our J45s; we can learn from each other.

Well Im happy to give you my experience with strings on my SJ.

Firstly, it prefers ligths to mediums. While mediums sound good and deliver a lot of volume I find the bottom end bass strings just 'choke' the tone too much. I get better responsiveness and a sweeter toner with lights.

Secondly, the SJ really prefers PB strings as they bring out the natural, warm, woody texture of the guitar.

Lastly, the strings that worked best on my SJ are Pyramid Western Classic PB 12's and DR Sunbeam 12's. I just received a set of different strings from the US and will try John Pearse PB's as they get a lot of good comments. I tried them a year ago, thought the tone was great but they died quickly, will give them another run and report.

On my J45 TV I always use Medium Elixer Nanowebs. After about an hour of play it just sounds...crunchy, woody - in other words, perfect.

On my Jackson Browne I have alternated between Medium-Light Martin SP's (the PB's) and the Light Gibson Masterbuilt Premiums (also PB's). Oddly enough, to my ears, mediums on the JB just don't 'sing' the way I want them to.

Just wanted to share my joy in getting the best out of my J-45.

After much experimenting with string brands and gauges, I restrung it a few days ago with medium d'addarios on the first three strings and lights on the low end.

The guitar was fairly balanced before, but my critical ear often felt (particularly in humid weather) that the low end was perhaps a little overpowering when using either lights or mediums all over.

The balance on this guitar is now incredible.

Worth a try if your 45 is on the bassy side.

Cheers,

Jack.

Yes, I have noticed this effect on several dreadnought sized guitars. Unfortunately (to my knowledge at least) there is no offering of this gauge combination as standard among the major manufacturers. The opposite (Medium gauge low strings, light gauge high strings a.k.a. 'Bluegrass') is possible but not this one.

That makes changing strings a doubly expensive proposition. with quite a bit of wastage - unless you have a friend that uses the bluegrass setup.

I'm using DR Sunbeams PB (their mediums, which are almost identical to most lights, with a heavier low E) on my 1948 J-45, and I've found them to last a long time, keeping a reasonably bright edge without being harsh at all. That guitar gets flat-picked with a fairly heavy Tortex or Red Bear, which tends to mellow down the tone quite a bit.

I'm going to put the Sunbeams on my 1943 SJ re-issue at the next string change.

Also got a set of the Martin Lifespans to try, naturally enough, on my 000-28 EC. It doesn't get played much, and I'd like a string that lasts for awhile.

Thinking about trying the Sunbeams on my L-OO Legend as well, just as a change from the Masterbuilt Premiums, which are my default Gibson strings.

I'm using DR Sunbeams PB (their mediums, which are almost identical to most lights, with a heavier low E) on my 1948 J-45, and I've found them to last a long time, keeping a reasonably bright edge without being harsh at all. That guitar gets flat-picked with a fairly heavy Tortex or Red Bear, which tends to mellow down the tone quite a bit.

I'm going to put the Sunbeams on my 1943 SJ re-issue at the next string change.

Also got a set of the Martin Lifespans to try, naturally enough, on my 000-28 EC. It doesn't get played much, and I'd like a string that lasts for awhile.

Thinking about trying the Sunbeams on my L-OO Legend as well, just as a change from the Masterbuilt Premiums, which are my default Gibson strings.

Yeah, there is something special about the Sunbeams. They deliver a lovelly 'shimmer' of light and warmth that is unlike no other strings Ive come across. My maple J-150 utterly loves them and those string take that guitar to a whole other level.

However I found them a bit too warm for rosewood, but mahogany and maple, gold !

Think I'm gonna try the sunbeams next.

IMO, nothing I've tried so far sounds as good as d'adrrios.

I am not happy with martin strings, I tried some uncoated martins and they lasted maybe 2 days, I have some coated martins on at the min, SP something, shines gone after a few days? the bass strings are looking black, even though I wash my hands before play, not happy.

The last strings i had on were fender coated 12's, they are half the price of d'addrio/ elixir, but I had them on the guitar for just under 3 months? When i took them off they still sounded fine, just mellow.

T

Archived