Gibson Brands Forums

Remembering a Legend...

Ryan H

Today we celebrate the life of an icon. A legend. A person who inspired generations of guitarists and revolutionized the way we play the instrument. There was a passion and soul to his music that remains unsurpassed even to this day. He left us at the young age of 27; 42 years ago to this day. His music continues to inspire guitarists all over the world. He once said "I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."

Keep rocking that gig in the sky,

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix

(November 27, 1942-September 18, 1970)

Keep rocking that gig in the sky,

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix

(November 27, 1942-September 18, 1970)

Yes.

I thought I might start a thread about this today but no need.

Many thanks.

We will not forget.

Right........Am I the only one that doesn't think he was that good and it's all hype? Every live performance of him that I've seen is riddled with bum notes galore and just sounds like a 'racket'. He may have been an OK player, but he certainly wasn't the genius or God that people make him out to be. I just think people are gullible and believe what they're told. Just like Kossof. I've never seen him do a good live performance or heard him play anything outstanding on record. Free had a few good songs, but they weren't great. Same goes for Paul Rogers too. Average.

I know I'll be slated for saying it. But we all have our opinions.

I dont think its about the bum notes and the fact he was probably of his face on LSD most of the time the fame comes from the fact that he was the guy who pioneered the guitar style that we all love and crave. He blew the music scene wide open, nobody at that time did what he did and anything after was just copied and refined.He was way ahead of everybody else. =D>

Right........Am I the only one that doesn't think he was that good and it's all hype? Every live performance of him that I've seen is riddled with bum notes galore and just sounds like a 'racket'. He may have been an OK player, but he certainly wasn't the genius or God that people make him out to be. I just think people are gullible and believe what they're told. Just like Kossof. I've never seen him do a good live performance or heard him play anything outstanding on record. Free had a few good songs, but they weren't great. Same goes for Paul Rogers too. Average.

We do all have our own opinions, but to say that you think people are gullible because they like Jimi is a pretty silly thing to say.

Most of us that love him have listened to everything he has ever done.. So we are far from missinformed. He was not only a great player but a great writer and inventor. He would mess with pedals and backwards playback etc way way before anyone else and as said changed the music scene and made people realise how much was possible on an electric guitar.

And when every other guitarist who was around him (Clapton, Page, Townshend, Beck and many more)all heard him they were also blown away so not only was he respected by the people but by his own peers too.. So you may not like his style but you gotta respect him for the impact he made.. And I think what all of us really want to know is how far he would have gone if he hadnt passed. He did so much in only three years, imagine what he could have done.

Even though Lennon and Harrison inspired me to become a life-long musician on that cold February night in 1964 and the fact that I've adopted and lived by most of their philosophies,it was when I heard Jimi's first album that my approach and feelings towards the guitar did a 180.When I heard the virtuosity and passion in Jimi's music I became consumed by it and ended up practising for up to 10 hours plus a day.Even though I played songs by many other artists,it was only Jimi's music that touched me so deeply and presented such a great challenge to me.The intros of Are You Experienced? and Foxey Lady were really problematic and created a great challenge to me.One night I had a very lucid dream about Jimi and dreamt that he had shown me the intro to Foxey Lady-the next morning I could do it.I know that this sounds either uncanny or like a load of B.S. but you must keep in mind that it was just a dream and really didn't happen anyway,it

just played out in my mind .With the fact that I had listened to the intro so many times and played it over so many times in my mind,it's no surprise that it came to me in a dream.

Jimi's death couldn't have happened at a worse time as he was just about to do an about-face with his music and start writing more mature,melodic and introspective songs.Many people say that he was depressed at the time of his death but nothing could be further from the truth.If anything Jimi was on top of the world because he had made his mind up to phase out the amp humping,guitar and amp smash and burn etc. and just stand up and show the world that he was more than just a performer but was a serious song and melody writer who had finally come of age musically.The thought that he had tapped out all of his abilities to write music is ludicrous,all one has to do is listen to such incredible songs as Angel,Drifting,Pali Gap etc.Up until the time of Jimi's death we had only heard the tip of the iceberg.When he died,the best of his musical ideas were yet to come and we were deprived of hearing the most sublime and soulful compositions that ever came from his brilliant mind.

John and George inspired me to become a musician and I'll always love them and owe them a huge debt of gratitude for that but Jimi showed me that there was so much passion in music but more importantly he showed me where to find the conduit that flows from my soul to my fingers and I'll always be indebted to him and love him for that.

I'm revisiting "Crosstown Traffic", "Manic Depression", "Fire", currently in my car cd player. I mean, these are some real songs imho. I didn't realize this was the time of year he passed. Thank you. RIRR, rest in rock and roll Jimi, and thank you for making big changes possible.

(we've had similar discussions about Alex Lifeson have we not)

IMHO Hendrix was a game changer, wasn't about immaculate chops,

Show me a guy than can play 5 bazillion notes in a measure, and that will be the guy that will put me to sleep before you can say "Wah Wah Pedal"

(we've had similar discussions about Alex Lifeson have we not)

IMHO Hendrix was a game changer, wasn't about immaculate chops,

Show me a guy than can play 5 bazillion notes in a measure, and that will be the guy that will put me to sleep before you can say "Wah Wah Pedal"

How many zeros are there in a bazillion?

You must be tone deaf

I never got SRV, Gary Moore, Hammet, etc, but Hendrix? wow.......I mean WOW.

Here he is.....miles ahead of everybody else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9R0z8aWVo

....and it's better to say you don't like someone, than to say they're horrible.

I never got SRV, Gary Moore, Hammet, etc, but Hendrix? wow.......I mean WOW.

Here he is.....miles ahead of everybody else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9R0z8aWVo

....and it's better to say you don't like someone, than to say they're horrible.

From 1.20 onward's the sound doesn't match the playing. Like it's overdubbed. He playing lead but strumming rhythm.

In my opinion, Hendrix couldn't lick Gary Moore's boots as a player.

From 1.20 onward's the sound doesn't match the playing. Like it's overdubbed. He playing lead but strumming rhythm.

In my opinion, Hendrix couldn't lick Gary Moore's boots as a player.

Half of the guys today's players worship would have never picked up a guitar if it wasn't for Hendrix.

so how ever we want to define greatness to suit our own personal desires, that's cool,

But no one was doing what he was doing. No one...

remember too, this was close to 50 years ago,

It is what it is...

Archived