Gibson Brands Forums

Martin D 45

JuanCarlosVejar

This is a great example of why I generally dislike Martin Rosewood dreadnoughts. The bass frequencies dominate so much that to me it just sounds boomy, boxy, hugely unbalanced and craving for air. It sounds awfuly tight to boot.

The best rosewood Martins Ive played are ones that have normally had at least 20 years of play time, opened up, softened up and became much more balanced.

JC, I think you posted a clip of 60's Brazilian Martin that to my ears sounded superb in that it was much more balanced, with a very good dose of sparkle, it really breathed. This one, at least for me is choked up and gasping for some 02 ..

This is a great example of why I generally dislike Martin Rosewood dreadnoughts. The bass frequencies dominate so much that to me it just sounds boomy, boxy, hugely unbalanced and craving for air. It sounds awfuly tight to boot.

The best rosewood Martins Ive played are ones that have normally had at least 20 years of play time, opened up, softened up and became much more balanced.

JC, I think you posted a clip of 60's Brazilian Martin that to my ears sounded superb in that it was much more balanced, with a very good dose of sparkle, it really breathed. This one, at least for me is choked up and gasping for some 02 ..

EA,

is this the clip ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1bx_Gv7Rg

JC

Don't currently own a Martin, but have owned many over the years. Got the chance to play a '2012' D18 ($2200) the other day, couldn't believe my ears. Also played a Custom sinker mahogany D18GE ($4200)... I'm not sure their Custom shop works for CF... amazing tone, mud-be-gone.

The new 2012 D18 does sound amazing. I bought one without playing it and the sound is there. I sold it after 1 month though because the neck is different and I didn't like it; its 1 3/4 and has the performancing artist taper, although it is not the same neck on their performing artist series.. YMMV

You can buy them through the online guys for under $1800.

I agree that the D-45 sounded extremely tight. (Actually a great example for explaining what a tight guitar sounds like)

You could tell that he was struggling to fingerpick it the way he usually likes to. I think it had new strings on it too because it sounded really bright and quite tinny on the treble end.

I think it'll probably open up into a reasonable instrument though given time.

You not frequenting the AGF now Gibby?

You not frequenting the AGF now Gibby?

I copped a three month ban Jack for daring to speak my mind to the mods....!

Those guys really do not know what humour is, in particular dry humour, just totally goes over their head. The Gibby forum is such a breath of fresh air compared to the AGF, especially when it comes to tonality and sense of humour.

Anyway, Im back in November, although I think they just want to kick me out for good, so probably first hint of non christian behaviour as they see it and Im out for good.

Those guys really do not know what humour is, in particular dry humour, just totally goes over their head. The Gibby forum is such a breath of fresh air compared to the AGF, especially when it comes to tonality and sense of humour.

Anyway, Im back in November, although I think they just want to kick me out for good, so probably first hint of non christian behaviour as they see it and Im out for good.

I know what you mean.

I've had my fair few warnings also (usually in open mic). I can imagine who handed out the ban......

The mods are pretty heavy handed when it comes to closing threads.

I've noticed that if I'm enjoying a thread it means it's usually going to get shut down. [-X

Noticed he didn't go up the frets on the Gibson, must need set up a little better.

Mine aren't quite as nice looking or have the fancier woods, but I have a D41 Special and J200.

They defintely have different sounds and both have their places with me. It'd be hard to choose between them.

Straight out balanced sound, I would have to go to my 000-28.

Ouch.... I got a warning on there too, got me a red dot beside my user name....just to show people that I am a 'trouble maker' I guess.. ?!?

psssssst.... seems like ya can't diss Martins over there without getting 'told off'

Archived