Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod observation

bobby b

I decided to take a little relief out of my neck, not so much as to completely straighten it though.

I noticed that the truss rod nut was really easy to back off, I just wanted to back off a little before tightening. I snugged the nut back to where it was and tightened by ....ohh about an 1/8th of a turn.. This was enough to take out the amount of relief I was looking for, about half of what it was prior.

Now when I play I notice a huge increase in volume and sustain ....the overall 'chime' of the guitar has increased. It plays better, and is noticeably more responsive.

Never expected the volume to jump up so much. Very cool result!!

Anyone else experience this?

Frankly - I never dared it.

My pal does and told some tales about it this past Sunday.

According to him the strings must be all strung up while turning - I never knew that. Did you keep them up ?

Yes, I kept all strings at full tension, makes checking the relief as you go somewhat easy.

Perhaps you hit the "sweet spot" with the oh so miniscule increase in string tension, straightening the neck slightly. 1/8th of a turn, never more than 1/4 is my seasonal mantra - when the humidity in the mountains swings in the winter, I sometimes have to grab the wrenches.

hmmm, I have adjusted many necks on many acoustic and electric guitars, with and without strings on. never had a problem, the neck always moved in the direction i wanted.

I see the logic behind adjusting relief with the strings at tension, but regardless the D and G string should be slackened to give room for the truss rod wrench.

Archived