Gibson Brands Forums

Problems with trans trem

astattoo

I have a vintage steinberger with a trans trem. The trans trem developed a problem that it doesn't return to the same position after pushing and especially pulling back on the trem arm. I put new bearings and pins in it and it still does exactly the same thing. I'm stumped. Anybody have any ideas ? Steve Staples steve@webcorral.com In need please help.

You did not mention the rollers so I will. If the rollers that the stings roll over do not spin freely, they will keep the trem from returning to zero. This is a more common problem than the bearings and pins are. You will need to burnish the rollers on the saddles if they do not spin freely.

Also make sure the pins are in straight. if they are bent this will also cause the trem to have problems retuning to zero.

Hope this helps!

You did not mention the rollers so I will. If the rollers that the stings roll over do not spin freely, they will keep the trem from returning to zero. This is a more common problem than the bearings and pins are. You will need to burnish the rollers on the saddles if they do not spin freely.

Also make sure the pins are in straight. if they are bent this will also cause the trem to have problems retuning to zero.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a bunch. I will try and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks a bunch. I will try and let you know how it turns out.

ok exactly how do i burnish the rollers? they are not spinning freely. am i trying to get them to spinn freely or just smooth out the surface of the slot in the roller ? Not sure from your reply.

can I take the rollers off without damaging the small pins which hold them in . or do I use a dremel or something else to burnish the inside of the roller slot ? thanks steve

Archived