Gibson Brands Forums

Sweet R9 Built with Exotic Woods

max2343

Brother, there's a reason less then 10 were made.

Historic Reissues

M YRRR or MYRRRR

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR indicates the guitar's place production for that year

A proper reissue also wouldn't have that Gibson sticker at the base of the headstock.

Wait a minute What? Its not an R9 WTF I called Gibson and they said its not in their Data Base. Its real kool and I want it but would like to know WTF it is. Its going for alot of Cashand my mistake its a 1997 the 2008 was a different one that the serial number came back a R9 with Exotic woods. Sorry Im getting old

For the price of this I could get that 1993 # 185 pancaked Korina SG and an 1980 Sweet Artist

Sorry, but it is really hard to give an opinion on price when you don't say what he is asking.

For some guitars like this one, they don't appear in the Blue Book and you kinda have to guess. You might not be able to simply justify it as "Custon Shop" or even what it sold for new.

Reasom being, some models branded as "Custom" aren't really, and some that actually are no one wants that much. Also, there are many models that are over-priced to begin with.

At the very least, Korina is a cool wood that shouldn't subtract and maybe add a little to the price. And it does have a GREAT looking top although it isn't a "reissue" type of top. I would guess it might be worth 1500 to 2500 based on that.

I am just guessing here. It appears (and Im guessing) it is a "Classic" USA model that is a "special edition", and being really nice, I can see 1500 for it. It could be more if you "compare" it to Custom shop models and judge it by those who really think it is special. But if it is going to be more than 2500 bones, it had better have some paperwork and pedigree with it.

Wait a minute What? Its not an R9 WTF I called Gibson and they said its not in their Data Base. Its real kool and I want it but would like to know WTF it is. Its going for alot of Cashand my mistake its a 1997 the 2008 was a different one that the serial number came back a R9 with Exotic woods. Sorry Im getting old

Whut? msp_lol.gif

By chance I just took care of some morning 'business' and happened to look in a Les Paul book and I found the following:

There is a "Korina" model listed as having been made in 1996. It only says Korina body and neck, figured top, and nickel hardware. Also, there is a "standard custom shop" that started in 1997 with the seriel# scheme as a "classic".

While I still say I am no expert, we all know the earliest "reissues" aren't all that accurate or different from regular production as they are now. And while it would seem reasonable they might have made the "Korina" model into '97, I can't say if they are the same or if this is "that" same model. But overall, I think the guitar has features typical of either or both.

The guy wants 3500 dollars for the Exotic Wood Les Paul and the #185 of 500 Pancaked 1993 Korina SG is 1900 Dollars and the Artist is 2500 Dollars from the original owner.. I think Im just going to Decide on the Artist and the SG. Never been soo hard to spend money

T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwt1BQPBT9sV1w60_57.jpg

IMAG09102.jpg

And this Explorer Too its only 1100 Dollars

108137693_lg%201050%20dollars_zpsb7387187.jpg

Just got off the phone with this guy and got a little history. First hes pissed at u guys saying u dont know ****. Hesold guitars to Slash and a host of others. Personally knows Keith Richards and was going on for a while abouta Max Baranet and his lawsuit with gibson for forging gibson guitars. He said when gibson suited max and won they took all of his blanks of korina wood and this was the first 1 made out of those blanks and only 10 were made and this was the first gibson les paul made out of korina wood and ow ya it is a r9 according to himI asked him if this was a forgery and he assured me it was not and also said that a gentlemen named Edwin Wilson was the Boss in the Gibsons custom shop at the time they built this and that he will give me his number to call him so he can confirm all of this.

1 Is this all true

2 1 hell of a bullshit story

A quote from someone I trust completely.

I believe it is a Korina with a quilt top, '97 Custom Shop Standard.

First, it has the pre 2002 rounded corners on the inlay's, so it was made before that.

Secondly, it has the short pup ring as found on USA Standards and CS guitars.

Korina bodied, quilted top, CS logo and.............

I dont know man This guy tony is talking about Max Baranet the God of Forgers. Bar none He goes I think way back into the 80s. He talked about how he was going around the country to trade shows and Gibson boths with his forgeries and having them ssay how nice his gibsons were then laughing and telling them he built them and they are fakes. He said said this korina R9 was built from korina blanks that gibson won and took from Max Baranet from a lawsuit. Man I dont know but my bullshit detector is on high alert. Look at the link below of 1 of Maxs Replica Guitars that was ownened by Alice Coopers guitarist called Hunterburst the Quilted top is just like this Korina Guitar and in that article they talk to him and he says for serial numbers he would use all kinds of crazy **** S.S Numbers custmers birthdays and all kinds of combination of numbers

Max baranet has been the forger for the Stars Like the Gibson Axe that Slash used that we all thought was a real gibson that led to a Slash Sig Series

Read about Max Baranet and Gibson and Slash Here

http://www.premiergu...aul.aspx?Page=3

UNBELIVEABLE

I don't know if it is BS or not, but what's with the name dropping? What does that have to do with anything?

If this guitar is a '97 Custom shop, then so be it. If it ain't, who cares? It's a Korina LP. It is something special beyond that, it should have paperwork with it to show what makes it more special than what a guy can see or feel.

I don't think his prices are bad, but they certainly aren't great. If you don't like what this guy is putting down, there are plenty of guitars out there for the prices he is selling his at. No missed oppurtunities here, unless you are looking for these specific guitars.

As for us Gibson forumites, I think we did pretty well here for "not knowing s88t". If there were only 10 of these, how the heck should we know about them? Did the Gibson collecter secret society suddenly drop in thier tracks when they built them? Did the existance of a Korina LP built in the 90's cause rumors and widespread panic that it made news?

No one here pretended to have all the answers or know exactly what it is, but rather, got it pretty damn close for a guitar that didn't have the exact description and info from the start.

I don't know if it is BS or not, but what's with the name dropping? What does that have to do with anything?

If this guitar is a '97 Custom shop, then so be it. If it ain't, who cares? It's a Korina LP. It is something special beyond that, it should have paperwork with it to show what makes it more special than what a guy can see or feel.

I don't think his prices are bad, but they certainly aren't great. If you don't like what this guy is putting down, there are plenty of guitars out there for the prices he is selling his at. No missed oppurtunities here, unless you are looking for these specific guitars.

As for us Gibson forumites, I think we did pretty well here for "not knowing s88t". If there were only 10 of these, how the heck should we know about them? Did the Gibson collecter secret society suddenly drop in thier tracks when they built them? Did the existance of a Korina LP built in the 90's cause rumors and widespread panic that it made news?

No one here pretended to have all the answers or know exactly what it is, but rather, got it pretty damn close for a guitar that didn't have the exact description and info from the start.

I Agree and just wanted to Thank everybody for all the Responses

Archived